1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top Prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by bwilson4web, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is my submission on the other thread:

[​IMG]

I've done better since then, but haven't bothered to separate the trip meter, heck this is barely better than my average for the summer.

Stock tires and air pressure (35/33). Lots of P&G, but also used for work driving (deliveries), so not nearly as high of MPG as it could be stretched to. Late spring or early summer, hot enough to reduce engine warm up times, but before it got high enough to crank the A/C regularly.

2. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Please post your average speed so I can add your name to the list.

3. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Bob do we want their average speed as a requirement as well? The Summary screen includes all needed information, perhaps we should just make a photo of that the requirement to be placed on the spreadsheet?

4. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

No can do, don't have that information as this is from a couple of months ago. Average speed wasn't a requirement for the other competition and 'currently' isn't a listed requirement for this one. It is likely around 19 mph though.

Note that as part of my job I have a lot of up time on the car while it isn't moving, which lowers the listed average mph without using any significant amount of extra fuel (unless the AC is on)...so my average mph vs net mpg isn't going to even remotely match any expectations.

5. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No problem, I have put your name on the list!

6. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

As we get into fall and I can kick the AC off again I'll put up some better numbers. I'll be able to get average speed at that time as well, but I double checked my trip meters and A and B both say 19 mph average, A goes all the way back to this tank and B goes all the way back to when I bought the car (>7000 miles).

7. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not a problem. And yes, you're correct it's not a requirement I just wanted a number to put in the chart so it wasn't left blank :rolleyes: 19MPH is cool with me if it's cool with you!

8. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My speed was 28 mph.

I wonder if that includes the three hours I left the car unlocked and running at the marina while I went sailing. I do wonder if the combustion engine fired up to keep the main battery charged while I was away.

9. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Depending on what accessories you may or may not have had running, I'd say yes it did kick on. AC, radio, headlights, daytime running lights, etc. all draw from your car and would use power (obviously). I've left my car "running" (read *turned on* lol) on only battery power while waiting in a parking lot for someone over the course of 20-30 minutes without any accessories on and the battery did indeed drain (albeit super slowly as expected). I'd think if nothing else from powering the two displays inside at a minimum, and some computing done internally at a max (such as computing avg speed and battery SOC levels in real time). Why not power off? So I could avoid the warm up cycle. :)

I'd also say you're either parking in a very safe/private area, or extremely trustworthy to leave your car unlocked and powered on!

10. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ^^ the above is purely my speculation I'm sure there are several guys on here who can provide concrete data for you!

11. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In my experience the power draw from most of the electronics isn't significant enough to warrant a lot of drain, aside from the AC of course. You are far more likely to get a warm up cycle than a recharge cycle, unless the AC is running or if you left the vehicle with an extremely low charge right as you parked it.

Leaving a Prius on does not skip the warm up cycle, if the ICE isn't running, it cools off at pretty much the same rate as not being powered on and will initiate another warm up if the temp drops too low. In fact you get extra warm up cycles and use more gas if you leave the vehicle on for a significant period of time.

Both cycles tie together because either one helps resolve the others issues, the warm up cycle helps charge the battery and the low battery cycle helps warm the engine up.

12. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I can see your point. I guess keeping the engine warm while powered up didn't really occur to me being in FL, in this heat I'm sure there's no problem keeping the block up to temp. It always seems to me though that after the car is powered down, upon turning on again the engine starts up for at least a few minutes regardless of temp. I've shut the car down for just a few minutes at a time (no more than 10) and noticed the warm up cycle doing its thing. Since there's no way the engine can cool that much in 10 min, I personally wasn't sure why it would run that cycle unless its just programmed in to run regardless. <-- that's what I try to avoid by leaving the car on instead of powering down in a short period of time. Still though I'd have to think that yes you're correct that if left on long enough it would use more fuel than turned off, especially over the course of 3 hours.

minkus likes this.
  13. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've noticed this too, and been told on these boards by someone else that it couldn't have cooled that quickly. Still, it seems to do it every now and again. On the other hand, I often do see it skip the warm up cycle when I restart the car within a few minutes of the last use.

My best guess, since I don't have a scanguage, is that the engine isn't fully warmed up when it is shut down, either through too short of a trip to truly warm it up, or through high usage of coasting or EV during the last legs of a trip. Meaning while it isn't cooling super fast, that it is close enough to it's next warm up cycle that it only needs a few minutes of downtime to cool off enough to cause another warm up cycle. Then again I've left my C on for 45 minutes or so and noticed it kick the ICE on a couple of times during that period (and not for a low battery). So, I've just taken to shutting it down regardless, particularly since the doors can't be locked while in ready mode.

14. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, just very distracted. Sorry for the thread hijack.

steveoknievo and ztanos like this.
  15. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No problem friend!

On that note though, I posted this photo in another thread (one of my own I believe). Got this today on my way home.. While also enjoying my newly adjusted rearview mirror. (See this thread to see what I'm talking about!)

For this run I was at 44PSI all around, windows down, etc. I am also using a modified Pulse and Glide method. Basically I get up to speed (around 5MPH faster than posted speed limit) and instead of truly coasting down to 5 under posted speed limit, I use the battery to gradually decrease down, which helps me stay up to speed for longer periods than just coasting outright. (I hope this makes sense, if not I can further elaborate).

Pretty nifty! (I'm not trying to submit this as a tank or anything, just "showing off" the Prius C's skills!) Those Gen II and III folks don't know what they're missing out on!

Attached Files:

minkus likes this.
  16. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I find that when I do P&G, my SoC builds quite rapidly (as I brake to a stop, because traffic won't let me coast to a stop). My technique is to use the ICE to get up to PSL+8, then use assist to stay there. I limit it to ~20A most of the time. I allow myself to lose a little speed if needed, and fire up the ICE if my speed drops too much or if there's a slight increase in elevation.

minkus likes this.
  17. Ubu the Tech Guru

Ubu the Tech Guru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i probably could've made it today to 500 miles. My gas gauge started flashing at 420 and I am sure I could've gotten 80 more miles out of that tank BUT I didn't have another 80 miles to go and I wasn't about to just drive around until i hit the 500. I did make it 436 when I hit up a gas station. Maybe another time when I have time to burn. lol

18. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah man I think you made a good call.. Why risk it when you don't have to? Besides, filling up when you were in need and already in close proximity to a gas station is just about as efficient as one could ask for. :)

19. Guangdew

Guangdew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm wondering how to get the mph information.

20. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It tells you your average speed on your Drive Information screen. Here is a picture for your reference.

Attached Files: