1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top Speed???

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ETC(SS), Mar 14, 2017.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    curious....your top speed? | Page 7 | PriusChat

Has anyone tried this?

(*) Note: Terminal Velocity tests are dangerous, and should only be attempted by skilled drivers wearing the appropriate safety gear on a closed course, and with the knowledge that you're punching some very large holes in this car's safe operating envelope.

(real-world disclaimer......)
    Terminal Velocity tests are dangerous to the driver but more importantly to other people on the road. Traffic enforcement LEOs take a dim view of people wantonly endangering other people's lives, and let's face it.....NO COP worthy of wearing a badge wants to do traffic duty, so......they're already going to be in a bad mood.

Still.....there are some lucky few out there STILL with open, empty roads.......

Be careful.... ;)

upload_2017-3-14_9-26-34.jpeg

RCO likes this.
  2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In Germany reaching top speed is not much of an issue. Just take the nearest Autobahn, and apart the occasional speed limit or more often roadwork, you can floor it as much as you wish, before somebody else is tailgating you at 190km/h, because they want to go 250km/h with their speed-limited Porsche.

I have driven my Gen3 regularly at top speed, which is 198km/h // 123mph displayed, 180km/h // 112mph real (yes, the odometer is *that* off in EU with 17" with stock alloy wheels and 215/45R17 tires).
    Once one reaches top speed, the ICE (which is always autolimited in RPM at 5200rpms) slows down a little bit (a sort of overdrive) and you continue to go at max speed.
    Gen4 is the same. I have driven it at top speed 181km/h // 112mph, displayed 189km/h // 119mph (Gen4 is quite a bit more accurate).

The fun in all cases is limited though, because highways here are very jammed, it is intrinsically dangerous, requires a lot of attention and in the end you are quite tired and simply wasted fuel.

A very decent video about top speed here:

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't realise the ODOMETER is that far off.

My last car, a FORD FIESTA, had a SPEEDOMETER which was 8% optimistic at 100km/hr (2 different Sat Navs read 100 when speedo read 108). But I did a couple of tests on distance, and the ODOMETER was only about 1-2% optimistic.

My PRIUS (15" tyres) at an indicated 102km/hr is doing 100km/hr - I haven't done a distance test, though - quite time consuming in comparison.

RCO likes this.
  4. Priifan

Priifan Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nope. I don't plan to, either. Love and cherish my Gen 4 too much, ...and my life. Wrong car to drive this fast unless it is a rental and the autobahn is not jammed. When I did drive like a bat out of hell on the autobahn, I mortally feared cresting a hill in the left lane at 140mph or so and WHOMP ramming into a stopped car with nowhere to go. Even I am no that dumb. Anymore. (But it is entertaining reading about someone else trying this!)

RCO likes this.
  5. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same on mine, USA 15" tires. My speedometer reads 62 MPH at 60 MPH ACTUAL and interestingly enough, on the screens showing average MPH after a reset on level ground, shows correctly (60 MPH)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Australia, PRIOR TO 10 years ago, Speedometers here had to be within 10%, and Odometers within 4% accuracy. It didn't say whether "+" or "-" presumably either .

From 2007, there is no stipulation for Odometer accuracy, but for Speedometers - "The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h"

RCO likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My apologies.
    I keep forgetting that not everybody lives in a barren, crowded, fun-free zone where automobile travel is concerned, so I should have amended my OP to reflect that "IN AMERICA" terminal velocity tests are dangerous.

If I'm understanding the data, both the G3 and the G4 are electronically speed limited, and rev limited to the same to the tractor-like low RPM of 5400.
    The G4 has a little less grunt from its power-plant, but it's probably a little lighter, a little lower, and IIRC the drag coefficient is a little less.
    The G3 is a little bulkier and a little less slippery in the wind (surprisingly, given their respective body styles) but it knocks out a little more (14 or so) brake horsepower.

Both cars seem to be electronically speed limited to within a few ticks of their drag limits, and it's interesting how close they are in real world performance given the 10+ percent difference in available net thrust.

So, for both cars the real-world top speed value seems to be about 110 MPH give or take a few percentage points......again, if I understand the numbers.

THANKS GERMANY!!!

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.