1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Torklift hitch with Thule racks

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Bret Martin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just installed the Torklift EcoHitch on my Prius v and took it on its first ski trip with the Thule Apex Swing 4 (bike rack) and Tram (ski rack attachment). I could never find pictures of this combination or anything close when I was researching what to buy, so I thought I'd share.

I got 39.6 mpg on the ~360 mile trip with the racks and two pairs of skis and a car full of family.
    IMG_1091.JPG IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1093.JPG IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1097.JPG

NadaMucho and jonb505 like this.
  2. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice.
    I assume you have the 2" receiver?
    have you tried 4 bikes on there? is it fairly stable?
    I've got the 1.25" eco hitch. wishing i got the 2" now so i could get a 4 bike rack :(

3. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the 2" receiver, yes. I haven't tried bikes at all yet, but I'll report here when I do -- probably won't be until spring, though.

Stability seemed pretty solid with the ski rack and skis. I could see it bouncing around a little bit back there, but that's expected.

Confusingly, the Apex Swing 4 actually has a 1.25" stinger that you add a block onto to bring it to 2". The instructions say only to use it with a 2" receiver so I'm not clear why they manufactured it this way, except maybe to share parts with a 2 bike rack.

4. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a Prius Plug In Advanced and I want to get some sort of hitch mounted bike rack for it this spring, but I know little to nothing about these hitches and racks.

For example, where does one even get a hitch installed? And JohnB mentions a 2" receiver vs. a 1.25" receiver. Why would you choose one over the other? I just want to be able to carry a couple of bikes, or a bike and an electric razor motorcycle (Like the Razor MX 500, about the size of a small bike).

Thanks!

5. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you are mechanically inclined and have ramps and a torque wrench, you could do it yourself. I had mine done at U-Haul because I have neither (and also no garage or driveway -- only on-street parking). Any mechanic could do it.

You can carry more weight with a "class II" 2" receiver (350 lbs) than a "class I" 1.25" receiver (200 lbs). The four bike rack I have says only to load 4 bikes if you have a class II hitch.

It looks like Torklift Central has an EcoHitch model for your car. I don't know about the Plug-In but for the v the EcoHitch was the only class II/2" option I could find.

6. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So is Torklift Central the way to go pretty much? Or do you go to a U-Haul installer and order through them? I see that eco-hitch they have for sale, so it looks like that would be the way to go for my PiP.

I also saw that they had bike racks as well here:
    Aluminum Bike Racks | Torklift Central

They're pictured coming out of the back of a SUV. Are those compatible with an eco-hitch or do I have to get a different bike rack? And are the Thule racks better than Yakima or vice versa? Or is it a matter of preference?

7. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Torklift Central is the only option I know of for class II/2" on a Prius v. U-Haul only offers a 1.25" if you buy from them. My local U-Haul was happy to install the EcoHitch -- I just ordered it and brought it in on the day of my install appointment.

I bought my racks from REI because they have a free ship-to-store option, a nice return policy, and the members' rebate.

Any rack with a 2" "stinger" should work with the 2" EcoHitch. Just be conscious of the weight limit (350 lbs).

I picked Thule without a lot of research based on friends' recommendations. Yakima is probably fine too.

8. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, thanks. I doubt I'll ever put 200 lbs of bikes on the thing, but I don't see the point of getting a 1.25" instead of a 2" hitch if it looks like they cost the same, and I imagine installation costs would be about the same?

And I went on Craigslist and it looks like there are a ton of Thule/Yakima bike racks available for around $100, so I guess I'll go that route and just find one that fits a 2" hitch when it is installed. Thanks.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But don't get too greedy about how much weight you put on it when on a Prius, which isn't rated for even class I, let alone class II.

I do have the Torklift 2" receiver on my Prius, but don't yet have the confidence in the strength of the frame to go anywhere near even 200 pounds on the hitch bike rack. While just hearsay, I saw too many comments about the possibility of bending the frame from excessive tongue torque.

10. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you think the Prius can handle a couple of bikes without damaging the car?

11. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on how heavy your bikes are a 1.25" hitch for a couple of bikes should be fine. Currently I have the 1.25" eco hitch and a 2 bike rack on my v. The max I've carried on it are 2 mountain bikes around 35 pounds each. Include the weight of the rack, so around 120 pounds hanging off the hitch. There is a bit of flex/bounce(from the rack, not the hitch itself) but it is acceptable. If you can get a 2" receiver for the PiP i would get that, at least you always have the option to get a 3 or 4 bike rack. Other than for looks or cost or minor weight savings i can't see any good reason to go with the smaller receiver.

12. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  13. V3Peezy

V3Peezy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Haven't been on in a while, but thought I would share. I too, installed the EcoHitch 2" and used my Thule Rack... only 2 bikes though. See pictures. photo-5.JPG photo-4.JPG photo-6.JPG

14. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now what's the advantage of the system that you have where the bikes are attached at the bottom vs. the other style where the bike hangs from the frame? Or is it just a matter of preference?

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The bottom type provides simple & secure bike carrying. The catch is you are limited to 2 bikes.
    The other offers the ability to carry up to 4... which is what I have (with a 1.25" hitch) and it's worked quite well.

16. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah OK, thanks.

17. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update from summer 2014 -- fully loaded with 4 bikes.

IMG_1353.jpg IMG_1354.jpg IMG_1355.jpg IMG_1357.jpg

Tapayapa and Neal Haggard like this.
  18. daveabitz

daveabitz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bret, be sure to cover the skis. Salt or sand will damage the bases.

19. Tapayapa

Tapayapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  20. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thule Apex Swing 4 (see original post above for more pics and description)

Tapayapa likes this.