1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Torque OBD reader shows HV battery charging at 14kw

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BrokenWrench, Oct 23, 2019.

1. BrokenWrench

BrokenWrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Torque OBD reader shows HV battery charging at 14kw but also shows the 14 cell blocks to be around 16 volts- it shows 15v in the photo as I had the headlights and ac on and the ice had not yet started to charge.

A few days ago the triangle of death among other warning lights were all showing on the dash and the car would not go into gear.

I took the Prius out of service and transferred the tag and insurance to my back-up car the 300M so I can take care of the Prius without any pressure to hurry.

If I unhooked the 12volt for 30 minutes or so the prius would start and go into gear - but if I turned the car off and restarted the same issues would come back on restart.

Now two days later everything seems fine except that the obd reader shows the HV battery only charging at 14KW and I am under the impression the charge should be more like 30KW.

Before the trouble started I had been away on a motorcycle trip and the car sat for several days and it had been raining for a solid 20 hours as well. (I had read about the blue wire in the fuse box under hood which can get a bad connection and cause a 2nd gen prius not to go into gear - and the you-tuber who's video I was watching HV charging at 14V.png claimed this mostly happened to him during rainy times)

Any thoughts?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on this Prius?

What did the 12v test at when using a voltage meter?

Have you used Torque to scan for fault codes (DTCs) ?

Please post any known codes here.

3. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    - There is only 233,500 miles on this 2007 : )

- 12 volt is a 6 month old OEM Toyota and reads at 14v with car running and 12.8 with independent volt meter. (Original 12v lasted 12 years and was still working but getting weak so i replaced it with OEM)

- No fault codes at all show on Torque.

The car seems to be behaving OK right now except I don't know what caused all the issues that lasted for a couple of days and also the 14kw HV charge seems low. I did take the car off the road and removed the insurance and moved the tag to my Chrysler 300M but I can drive the Prius around my backyard.

- One thought I have is to clean all the electrical contacts in the fuse box under the hood. (I have a hobby of restoring old motorcycles and do this to all the electrical connections but it's much easier on a 35 to 45 year old motorcycle than a Hybird car : )

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The battery ECU regulates charge and discharge limits in real time, right? Maybe you just haven’t hit the right conditions for maximum charging.

5. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thought did occur to me that perhaps while at idle or sitting still the HV battery may not charge at the higher KW rates.

6. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This sure sounds like a high voltage leak. The associated code is P0AA6. It's surprising that Torque could not pick up the code. Disconnecting the 12 volt battery clears the code and allows the car to run until normally until shut off.

Tampa Hybrids is local to you. They could get your car running.

jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1 one on Tampa Hybrids. Todd is great. He's mighty busy though, so unless you bought your car from him he might not be able to fit you in. But by all means give it a try. Nobody in Tampa is better, imho.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Charge and discharge rates are constantly changing as you drive, that's not a valid diagnostic for problems like this. Also Torque app is antiquated/poorly maintained buy it creator so has a growing number of bugs, as well as not designed specifically for Toyota hybrids...

Try Dr. Prius app and have it read the error codes and sub-codes. You can't really even start your diagnosis of what's wrong until your read those error codes. Of course if you disconnected the 12v you no longer have those error codes stored in memory, but they'll likely be back soon enough.

9. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try checking out CarBit on the play store. once set up, it returned more dtcs than torque did.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's the subcodes that are essential... An app built specifically for a Toyota hybrid like Dr. Prius can do that, others can't.

11. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the info - I'll get the Dr. Prius app and go from there.

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did get the App Prius Doctor but after unhooking the 12 volt and rehooking the next day there are no codes showing on either Dr. Prius and Torque. However, there are issues.

When I put the car in Drive I get a warning to "put the car in Park" and also the Red Death light. Then If I put the car in reverse the warnings and lights go away. Drive-image.jpg Drive-image.jpg 20191030_203042 (1).jpg Drive-image.jpg 20191030_203042 (1).jpg

13. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is Toyota's way of saying "Shut the drivers door dummy. Your car is in gear!"

Try opening and closing the drivers door with the car in drive. You'll see what I mean.

The apps will not pick a trouble code before the warning lights appear.

Here's a way to test for a high voltage leak without a code reader. Be more careful than this guy.

The high voltage leak causes a unique pattern of problems that your car has.
    1. Car runs fine
    2. Warning lights appear.
    3. Car still runs fine.
    4. After shutdown car will not restart.
    5. Clear codes with reader or disconnect 12 volt battery.
    6. Car runs fine.
    7. Warning light's come back.
    8. Car runs fine.
    9. Car will not restart after shutdown.

PriusCamper and SFO like this.
  14. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    StrawBrad - Yep, shutting the door took care of that last issue.........

Currently - everything seems fine, yet previous symptoms are exactly like the high voltage leak that you pointed out. I'll continue to start the car and let it run at home and see if the symptoms return and if so check for error codes again and also do the HV leak test.

Thanks!

15. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At a minimum, wear gloves, don't touch the car body, use an alligator clip to hold one of test leads, hold the second lead with one hand.

16. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See steps 1, 3, 6, and 8. ;)

17. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I have to wait till it fails again and acts-up.... right now it's staying on the "runs fine" steps so........now it's an "intermittent" style electrical problem. I'll keep it at home till I sort it out

18. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    StrawBrad - yep I got the P0AA6 code again and see there are several areas that could be causing the HV Drain Code.

Thus if I take the steps in the video - one of which is pulling the HV fuse - pulling the fuse and then testing will isolate the HV battery from the other possible drains such as AC compressor and transmission as possible drain failure points?

Thus if I find a drain using the method in the video ....... it's the best option which is a leaky cell in the HV battery. If I do not find a drain then my HV drain and P0AA6 code is a worse case where I may have to "Shoot the Horse" and sell for Glue - so to speak : )

19. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you manage to confirm the code with a proper reader or did the car just go into the will not restart phase?

In the video the cover for the HV fuse is removed. He puts the fuse back in place for the tests. That test is performed with the car off. In this state the battery HV relays are open which isolates the battery from the rest of the car. So the test in the video tests for leaks only in the HV battery. By not locking down the orange plug lever he adds another safety layer that prevents the car from starting.

When working on HV it's important to understand the system completely. With a possible HV leak the body of car should be considered a live part of the circuit. Be careful !

Yes, the battery is one of the easier leaks to fix. Transmission leaks are rare. I fixed one leak caused by an animal chewing on the HV lines for the AC compressor. The nick that got through the insulation was tiny and only caused a leak after a heavy rain.

SFO likes this.
  20. BrokenWrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used the Dr. Prius app and it gave the P0AA6 code.

Sometime in the next week or two I'll find the time to check the battery. Thanks for the clear info.