1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Torque Question? Help an old altar girl?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 19, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    O.K., not an old altar girl. I don't think there are altar girls, but was watching a certain "scary movie -- The Exorcist," and that phrase is sticking with me tonight.

I'm going to finally buy a torque wrench, but I was looking through my Chiltons manual and saw that many of the specifications are in "inch pounds."

Huh. All I ever heard of was foot pounds. And the wrench I am planning to buy is in foot pounds. So, google away and find a conversion table. Says to mutiply inch pounds by 0.0833 to get "foot pounds."

So, is that the method. Anything I should be wary of in converting....

Just as an example I grabbed the specs for torque for the Prius valve cover gasket, which is 84 inch pounds. Converted, that comes to 6.99 ft pounds. That sound about right?

And, I guess the last question, why don't they just stick to foot pounds....

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Alas, she lives. Where have you been hiding CyberPriusII? Long time no see 'um around the WWW --- At least long time da Catgic no see 'um.

I am sure one of the Motorheads on this forum will be glad to help a damsel in torque wrench distress.

My condolences to you on your choice of an Oregon residence where the gov't is punishing your Petrol-Conserving Prius via picking pennies from your Penny Pincher Purse.

You are correct. There technically are no and never were any Altar Girls. Post-Vatican II these functionaries are called "Altar Servers." However, Altar Boys did exist. "Alter Boys" is a Pre-Vatican II (1962) term that was used when this testosterone-fueled, budding "Saint Joseph" assisted in celebrating the all in Latin, and only in Latin Mass.

FWIW FYI: Today, March 19th, is my name’s day.

3. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Torque wrenches are generally designed to cover ranges (from inch-pounds to foot-pounds).
    When the spec calls for lower ranges, I'd use one calibrated in inch-pounds. Heavier work (larger bolts/nuts) require much more torque. A wrench covering that range will be calibrated in foot-pounds.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Cyberprius. Usually inch pounds are used where lower torque settings are required, because it's a smaller unit. It's the same reason that you might prefer to use inches for measuring something that's small, but feet or yards or miles for something much bigger.

There are exceptions, I have seen people specify torque settings of 300 inch-pounds and higher, but usually it's lower settings like under 120 inch-pounds (10 foot pounds) that often get quoted in this unit. Of course the conversion is easy enough, divide or multiply by 12, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Probably the most important aspect of whether or not your torque wrench can handle inch-pounds is not the unit itself (as times 12 is easy enough), but rather that a wrench calibrated in inch pounds is more likely to be accurate down to lower torque settings. All torque wrenches have a minimum setting, below which they are not accurate. My 1/2" drive wrench for example is only rated down to 10 ft-pounds, and I've seen some that are only rated down to a minimum of 20 foot pounds. So a wrench like this is going to be no good for smaller bolts with lower torque settings. So personally I wouldn't worry so much about what units it's calibrated in, but rather you should look at the maximum and minimum torque that the wrench is capable of.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Catgic, RocketMan and, of course, Uart for the help.

I was raised Roman Catholic, in a sense, but there is an embarrassing story about MY brother and one of the church's brother's -- anyway, I never got much past age 3 before we quit attending services. Be that as it may, my oldest brother ended up becoming a priest.

All right, so this is making more sense to me in the light of day regarding torque and all the various magical calculations (hmm, for some reason torque seems to fit with the Exorcist...)

Seems like I need TWO different torque wrenches. A baby torque and then the mondo torque I was planning on buying. Sigh, more cash I don't have. Maybe I'll just buy some Irish Whisky -- it should be on-sale since March 17 has passed.

Jonnybegood likes this.
  6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah that's basically it. You want a big one for things like wheels nuts an tensioning heads (though hopefully you wont need to do that). But you really need a small one if you want to use it on things under about 10 to 15 ft-lbs.

Personally I've never bothered to get a smaller one because I usually trust myself to guesstimate those smaller ones. I definitely don't bother with a tension wrench on mundane things like a the sump plug. Actually I think the only things I've use mine for are the wheel nuts and the one time that I had to do a head gasket in my previous car. When I change my spark plugs I might use it though. This is where a "baby" one could be handy, from memory the spec is only 13 ft-lbs.

How so. Have you been trying to calculate how much torque was needed to make Linda Blair's head spin around or something? :ROFLMAO:

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If x is the diameter of Linda's skull....:eek:

Basically, I was on crutches most of the fall/early winter. So, have to take care of my foot (feet) if I want to avoid more problems. My old method for rotating tires was to stomp heavily on the lug wrench and I figured if I couldn't stomp the nut any tighter, the tire is tight enough.

But, stomping is out. I could pound with a sledge, but I thought I would try to "torque to proper spec" and see:

A) Where that leads me

B) If I have enough upper arm/shoulder strength to do it. I think I do, since I haul around 70 pound backpacks of equipment on a daily basis and I have no trouble grabbing my wet 75-pound hound and hefting her into the air.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People mostly use torque wrenches to avoid over-tightening fasteners, so you may want to avoid using German Torque specs (Goodentight) and Irish whiskey when tightening things. ;)

9. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I had to spend the evening with in-laws on St. Pat's Day....I was hoping for an excuse to imbibe some of the Irish this weekend, but appears I will be rotating tires purely on the power of coconut water. Kris

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To help you understand the units thing, it's the product of force times the lever length.
    As an example, 15 inch pounds (or lb-inches, it's commutative) is the torque (twist) you'd get with a pound of force applied to a lever 15 inches long. 60 foot lbs is (for instance) the torque from 40 lbs pushing at a distance (or lever length) of 1.5 ft. You would get the same torque with 30 lbs and 2 ft or 10 lbs at 6 feet (but it makes for a bulky wrench).