1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Torque specification for the inverter wires bolts on the 2012 Prius C? [and brake lines]

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sonic_TH, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I will see if i can get these crowfoot flare wrenches then.

I don't think is strictly necessary to torque the brake lines to a specific value, maybe, if Toyota does it there might be a reason. But when the time to replace the brake booster assembly comes, i would like to torque the brake lines to the specified value, i don see a way to know when enough is enough so they won't leak, i guess not too tight but not too lose, will see.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess 90° is probably close enough to isosceles given the typical lengths of a crowfoot flare and a torque wrench. :)

Sonic_TH likes this.
  3. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Do you have any experience in tightening brake lines by hand with no torque wrench? if so, anything negative that you had ever experienced?

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s a good choice, especially if you’re doing the job only once and can work slowly and carefully.

In the Repair Manual (more info) series, the Recommended Tools pages for the brake system suggest a 10 mm union nut wrench, Toyota part number 09017-1C100. Like Toyota’s other hand tools, this doesn’t seem to be sold in the U.S., at dealers or as a special service tool.

Equivalents include the Kyoto Tool Co. (KTC) MZ25-10H (page in Japanese), which has the same dimensions as Toyota’s tool, and the PROTO J4910MHFL. These are all 3/8" (9.5 mm) square drive sockets with partially closed ends, which hold the fastener being turned more securely than an open-end crowfoot wrench would.

For the adjustment to the torque value required because of the extension, see the formula and explanation under “Torque When Using Torque Wrench with Extension Tool,” in the Introduction section of the Repair Manual, linked from the relevant procedures.