1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

total electrical failure - key related?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by noctiluca, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is most likely some air in one of the coolant loops that's causing either the engine or the inverter to over heat. It would be helpful if you had a way to read the fault codes.

strawbrad likes this.
  2. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I kept trying to run it and then bleed it but nothing came out and there are no audible air sounds in the pump. I also replaced the coolant control valve, and it seems like that might be the source of the problem given that it's only a problem at certain speed thresholds...? I don't really know what that thing does. The triangle specifically starts going on and off above 35, and stays on above 65mph.

I'll get the codes after exhausting all other options, I just can't afford $150 every time this car has an issue, which has been about one a month since I got it :(

3. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 3 way valve controls coolant flow between the engine and the coolant storage tank. It's operation has nothing to do with speed. If your going to do any work on these cars you MUST have a way to read and clear trouble codes. TechStream is $25, any number of OBDII phone apps (Torque, engine link, ect.) can be purchased for $5 + a $15 adapter on Amazon. Handheld scan tools at your local auto parts store range from $50 to $300. I'm not really sure why you keep going back to the dealer and paying for diagnostic work.

You are probably correct that the engine cooling system is what's causing your issues. Did you completely drain the system when you replaced the valve? Did you get the same amount of coolant to go back in as you got out. In my experience it takes very close to 2 gallons to fill it up from empty. In order to get that system full you need to be filling the radiator and venting the radiator and running the coolant transfer pump all at the same time.

This video might help, it's not mine and I haven't watched the whole clip but it does show you how to run the transfer pump without a computer which is the key to getting this job done. Good luck.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you fill coolant in BOTH the radiator and inverter reservoir? You replaced a part in both loops

5. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    FYI I didn't do a good enough job filling/bleeding coolant in the engine coolant lines. Once I went through that whole process the car has been fine. Thanks all!

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)