1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total greedy sleazebag dealer, lol

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Zorba922, May 17, 2023.

1. Zorba922

Zorba922 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Friend of mine got a quote on a '23 Prius, dealer penned in a nice $10K extra for himself... ah, the joys of capitalism!
    Prius slimeball dealer.jpg

Preebee likes this.
  2. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    OMG! You're in my town! And yes, they are not generous, to say the least... lol.

Go to Hutchinson for a different kind of experience.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That isn't capitalism, it is the specific dealer. Some Dealers don't mark it up, and then there are companies that don't even have Dealers.
    Hunt around, you will find a better deal.

Zorba922 likes this.
  4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    What's crazy is, it IS capitalism. And so is OUR job to keep the market competitive by doing exactly what you just said, look around.

I do understand what they are doing. If they didn't mark up these vehicles, the public would just buy them and flip. They have a right to ask whatever they want and we have the right to wait, shop, or buy.

5. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be pissed if they do not include a few dealer installed accessories for that price, like 10 side moldings on each door.

Preebee likes this.
  6. Zorba922

Zorba922 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually the Kansan is a friend of my nephew who lives in Texas, who shared that with me. I live on the East Coast, where the Prius drought is equally bananas.

7. Zorba922

Zorba922 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I really, really wish Scion were still around, they just had a fixed price. Wonder why Toyota killed that brand...must have been weak sales?

8. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Unfortunately, Toyota had no clue how to market Scion. The XB was an accidental hit. The second generation was totally lame, not true to what appealed to people, while Kia stole the concept with the Soul. Then Toyota didn't invest in the brand and it faded away.

Montgomery and Trollbait like this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Scion was suppose to be a 'youth brand'. Except the youth that wanted a Toyota were fine with a used model for less, and Scions were bought by non-youths that wanted to avoid the normal dealership experience or just liked the Scion models better than the Toyotas. I test drove an xA because Toyota didn't sell an Echo hatchback in the US. Or because the Scions had better colors.

Scion was suppose to expand the Toyota consumer base, and it didn't do that.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have to have it? If not, one word: wait.

11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Out of all cars that I have owned, the 2006 Scion XB was my favorite all around car.

royrose likes this.
  12. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that is insane! My local Colorado Dealership has had very few new vehicles on the lot the past few years but, today, it seems like their website folks have started something new....adding cars to the inventory even though they are not, really, for sale but purchased even before arriving.
    According to their website, they have 128 new vehicles! Yippee...jump in the car, Martha, let's go look!
    But, hold on...when you click on the models 73 (57%) have "Sale Pending" on them....GRRR (And almost all of those that don't aren't hybrid or even below $50,000.)
    Their are two Corolla Crowns, though, both Supersonic Red, that I'd like to see....a Platinum for $55K and a Limited for $48K.
    Reports are that with higher interest rates and a lousy economy, new car inventories are increasing so, hopefully, new car buyers will, once again, be able to negotiate selling prices. (But never pay over MSRP EVER, unless you have no other options and always try to negotiate, even if they say they don't negotiate....a sale with a smaller commission is better than NO sale...so remind them of that!)

13. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I’ve seen dealers marking up cars with their added invoice for decades. Honda especially was always many thousands over. Ignore and make the offer you like. They make the offer they like. There are people who don’t negotiate and are trusting and the dealer wants that. Unscrupulous for sure but then look at all the other scams, car repair, homes, nothing really new about it. Someone said they traded their 22 for a 23 for 2600, that was a fantastic deal.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  14. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    We would need the details of the financing to determine whether or not the 22-23 trade was indeed, fantastic. The devil is absolutely in the details lol.

For example, if the equity in the 22 was "disappeared", into the new 23's loan,... that would not be fantastic. :(

I literally traded in my 2019 for the price I paid for it and bought the 2023 for MSRP + a few silly dealer addons and a paint penalty for the white. This means I drove the 2019 for 3.5 yrs. for free. Crazy, crazy times...

I have a TON of equity in the 2019 as well due to the inflation of its trade-in value. Essentially I'm paying down 50% of the price of the 2023, walking out with a newer, sexier Prius, and ending up with a lower car payment. Good times!

Now for those who don't have a trade-in, it is bad times. :(

#14 Preebee, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
  15. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Indeed, this is almost twice of my highest new car payment!

$716

Car payment statistics
    The average monthly car payment for new cars is $716. The average monthly car payment for used cars is $526. 39.5 percent of vehicles financed in the fourth quarter of 2022 were new vehicles. 60.5 of percent of vehicles financed in the fourth quarter of 2022 were used vehicles.

Apr 26, 2023

Preebee likes this.
  16. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That was exactly the color and all the options I wanted but I was told that I might have to wait a year or longer for the Solar Panel to be added. :mad:

Zorba922 likes this.
  17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Brutal!

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see two conflicting prices. When an item has multiple conflicting price labels, doesn't that mean the customer has the choice to pay the lower one? ;)

upload_2023-5-18_21-11-38.png

At least, that is how it works in most non-negotiating retail shops I go to.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be a state consumer protection law

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's weird for the $10K to be just penciled in, some kind of dodge?