1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Mileage Between Fill-Ups

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rochesteruser, Mar 8, 2008.

1. JanTheMan

JanTheMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jim, I am curious to know what kind of terrain are you driving on to get that kind of gas mileage? I live in Las Vegas and I go downhill and uphill no matter where I drive in the valley and can't get any better than 42 mpg. But the MFD will show that I am getting 52 mpg at times. I drive like a snail, pulse and glide and take advantage of going downhill, I even tried mapping out the most downhill driving, but no matter what, I still have to go back up the hill to get home. My wife is about to clobber me for driving like an ol lady and having people honk at me!

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, you had to ask, didn't you? :D This has a detailed description of my commute, an elevation profile, data from my added instrumentation, and a link to a map of the route. Maybe TMI.

Actually, too bad this didn't come up about six weeks ago. I was traveling in Las Vegas last month and could have given you a hands-on clinic.

Anyway, are the hills to which you're referring the gentle ones within the city or those on the outskirts that go into the mountains? If it's around the city, I think you can do considerably better than that -- unless you're routinely driving up and down the Strip on a typical night. ;) If it's up toward the mountains, it's hard to say without knowing the conditions: total net elevation change, grade, speed, etc.

Either way, if you could provide a map to your route like I've used, along with additional details of your driving conditions, maybe some of us can help. But you might consider starting a new thread; we're a wee bit off-topic here.

3. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Somewhere between 400-500 miles.

4. seahenry

seahenry New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Down to 1 pip blinking, 494 miles, 52mpg, filled up with 10.4 gal. in Virginia

5. JanTheMan

JanTheMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    SEAHENRY....get your calculator out.....put in 494 miles...divide that into 10.4 gallons and you get 47.5mpg

6. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    drive home from Laughlin NV > Corona CA ~260miles one way ~39.5mpg calculated the "old fashioned" way but the MFD was not far off showing 41.2MPG

2bars left 390.6miles

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Old salt ~ practicing since 2004, at least 500 miles, with either 1 (or more) solid pip(s). Somewhere after 500 miles the pip will blink, then I get gas withing the next 1 to 20 miles. I've never been stuck not being able to pump the tank full ... usually 9.5 gallons ish.

8. seahenry

seahenry New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

You would think so. Then the on board computer that calculates MPG is wrong.....go figure..Seahenry

9. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yea the MFD is always going to be a bit off, just use it as a guesstimation rotfl

but 52mpg-47.5mpg is quite a jump

worst i got was MFD 42mpg, actual calculated 35mpg :confused:

10. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I find that there is almost always a discrepancy between calculated and MFD. There are MANY threads detailing why this is. I tend to think that the MFD is more accurate as it is an average during the drive itself. I have a Honda civic hyrid and it works the same way (there is always a difference). The important thing to me is to track using either method and not worry about the other. I choose to track MFD as it is easier and I personally think it is more accurate.

11. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ...but the old fashioned way cant be worse but better than the MFD

as stated above my last fill up was 9.9 gallons and i traveled 391 miles
    giving me the actual mpg driven of 39.49mpg the MFD was reading 41.2mpg LOL

to make the MFD accurate you cant press "reset" it unless you are starting off with a fresh tank, until your next fill up

12. JanTheMan

JanTheMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As I have stated before the MFD is just a questimation and of course easier to track, and of course those high MPG displayed is a great turn on. But after filling my tank 2x doing it the "old fashioned way" my acutal mileage is always 4 to 5 mpg different than what the MFD displays. And on both fill ups, after the pump stopped I was able to squeeze in another 2.5 gallons, so don't just let it stop at the "first click "of the pump. Of course the less gas you put in, the higher the MPG will show, which tends to make you believe you are getting more mileage out of the car. Don't get me wrong, getting 42 to 45 is great for city driving. Maybe I should start a new thread, comparing the MFD MPG to "CALCULATING THE OL FASHIONED WAY" and see what everyone is getting. This should be interesting.

13. mbaigent

mbaigent New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They say not to put in any more fuel after the auto shut off engages at the pump. Can cause damage to the fuel liner in tank.

Cheers

14. elcorazon

elcorazon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I usually get around 350. less in winter. more if I go on a longer trip. usually only get 8ish gallons in the tank. tend to get low to mid 40's in terms of mpg. I take it well into the last pip, sometimes wait for it to flash, but I'm scared to go anywhere once that happens.

I really wish I could get further and let the tank get emptier, but whatever, I do pretty well as it is.

15. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :cool:with 1.4 gallons left in tank after fillup 473-500 mptank. 2,016 miles on car,
    tire pressure 44/42 the ride is to noisy and bumpy so I am reducing tire pressure to 42/40.
    I've read that for even tire wear 40/38 and rotate at every 5k miles. so thats where I most likely will end up.:rolleyes:

16. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got 638 miles (1027 kms) on a recent tank with MPG of 64.2

17. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is the result of my latest efforts. I should note that I wasn't out of gas.:smokin:
    [​IMG]

18. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    so, tell us, how did you accomplish this. No matter what I do I can barely break over 50 mpg average.

19. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just a point of information, there is no such industry standard of measurement as miles per tank. If you must know, I have easily gone 450 miles between fillups and used less than 9 gallons ... but my tank holds almost 12 gallons.

Miles per tank is totally useless information ... unless your gas guage is broken. Miles per gallon has been the industry standard for over 100 years.

I have had cars that could only go 200 miles between fillups, my 2008 Prius could probably go 600 miles. Those numbers are useless though, different cars have different size tanks and drink at different speeds.

20. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Adding that much gas after the pump cuts off is a great way to cause serious damage to your emissions system ...

There is a good reason the tank is designed with a couple of gallon head space. But, hey, if you want to damage your car, that's your business.