1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Mileage Between Fill-Ups

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rochesteruser, Mar 8, 2008.

1. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I live in the country and try to plan my driving on country roads as much as possible to avoid traffic. What little traffic there is is used to slower moving farm equipment/vehicles so it's not much of an issue. That being said, planning ahead so I can drive slow and not be in a rush is a major key. Pulse and glide from 35 mph down to as low as 15 mph or even lower if I'm approaching a stop sign; yes, I do stop at them.:) Tires are inflated to a bit over sidewall and this is by no means a recommendation but just a statement of fact. I also use my block heater every day for a few hours in the mornings. I do my best to do my pulsing so it's not uphill.

2. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I forgot to note that the actual mpg when figured "the old fashioned way" was 92.2. Also, due to an error I discovered on a long highway trip last year, I found that my odometer was under-reporting by 1.6% after checking it on 4 separate 50 mile stretches. This means the actual miles driven was 1143.0. And, I agree that miles/tank is not a good standard but, to get that many miles it absolutely requires high mpg numbers. As for stopping at the first click, I have stuffed the tank as full as I could(every tank) for the 22K+ miles I've had the car. I know about the risks of doing that but it doesn't seem to be an issue with me. Also, pardon me while I put my flame suit on but, I also always leave the car in "ready" while filling but ,since I never use A/C and my SoC is usually 5-6 bars, I'm not concerned about the ICE coming on. Besides, even if it did come on, how is that any more dangerous than someone pulling up to the pump next to you(with their ICE on)while you're filling up?

3. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Personally, I find the miles per tank to be an interesting statistic. It's amazing how far some of these posters are able to drive between refills.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When comparing same sized tanks, you are right. Miles per tank is a quantifying of Miles per gallon.
    But the post you referrence points out that Miles per Tank means nothing if it's a comparison between different sized tanks.

A Suburban can get 600 miles to a tank, but it uses 40 gallons doing it. Yet a Prius can achieve 600 miles with 10 gallons. So there is no valid comparison.
    The sad part is, it's all the same in some people's minds
    What worse is those who express gas mileage in $Dollar figures, ie: I traveled so far on $45 dollars.......Useless information.

5. Calleva_john

Calleva_john New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The most I have got and that is with the last pip flashing for 22 miles is 581 miles on a tank - I not I have a quite a few tank fulls that have got me over 500 miles but it is dependant on when I fill up. UK specification car with 42 litre tank (11 US GAL) but I have got nearly 44 litres in at one fill, strangely not my 581 mile fill).
    I have driven 30 miles (carefully) when the last pip has been flashing. I am OK with this principle but would not recommend it. I just wanted to get to where the gas was less expensive.
    My car now has 56,000 miles and no faults.

6. Kcissem

Kcissem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just finished a tank where i got 661 miles for the tank with the MFD average being 55.6mpg but calculated average was way off for somereason as when it was hand calculated it was 68.8 MPG based off only putting in 9.6 gallons on fillup. Thinking about it to hand calculate your mpg it should be based off the previous fill up which then it was 12.1 gallons which would = 54.6 mpg for this tank near to what the MFD said.

7. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

8. Kcissem

Kcissem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

9. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I must be totally missing the point. On a conventional car with a conventional tank, miles per tank was a one time statistic that was good to know if you lived out west were it could be many miles bewteen stations or during the gas crunch in the seventies, driving interstates, or as a previous post mentioned, your gas guage is broken. As far as the Prius is concerned isn't it an average at best? Isn't the MFD or an SGII type instrument is closest reading of gallons used that you're going to get? It seems like it would be about as meaningful as gallons per tank on the Avalon if I randomly fill up @ anywhere from 1/4 to 1/5 tank left. It would seem if you establish an, "O.K. I just filled up so I should have at least x gallons in the tank", your current mpg should give you a miles to empty guesstimate if that's the purpose of the exercise. Otherwise it seems like it's just an exercise if futility. I do keep a record of gallons per fillup to calc my MPG, but I don't see the significance of tracking GPT beyond the need to calc MPG. :noidea: