1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total n00b question :)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by EmptyG, May 9, 2006.

1. EmptyG

EmptyG New Member

Hi all :)

I am waiting on my new Prius (2006) and had some questions about it, since I only drove one once (test drive) so far..

Can someone explain the P,R,D,B system (along with the parking button). The salesman was semi-knowledgeable, but not entirely. I know you have to press the brake then the start button to start. Then I assume just go into D. But what about parking, the e-brake, etc?

I am SURE this is very easy and it's on this forum somewhere, but so far I have't seen just a simple walkthrough. Perhaps it's something so easy it doesn't need a walkthrough ;P

Thanks for any help!

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The shifter works similarly to that of conventional cars, with the exception being the P for park is actually a button instead of another shift selection.

D is for drive, R for reverse, N for neutral, B for simulated engine braking (I've used it to maintain control/speed when going down a steep downhill so I'm not constantly pressing down on the regular brakes).

The emergency brake is similar to what I've seen that most trucks, vans and some SUV's have~it's on the left side and you press it down to engage it, then press down again to disengage it.

On the dash, next to the fuel gauge/speedo, is where you'll see what gear you're in when using the shifter. Because when you make your shift selection (say you're about to reverse out a parking spot), the shifter goes back to its original position and it may seem a bit odd at first, like the shift selection didn't 'take', but if you look at the dash you'll see that the car is indeed in R. It takes a little getting used to, then it becomes like second nature after awhile.

You do press on the brake then hit the Power button to start up the car, then shift into D or R to pull out of the spot. When you park, you can either hit the Park button when you come to a stop, or you can hit the Power button, which puts the car into park before powering off.

I don't often use the e-brake unless I'm parked on any sort of incline or plan on being in the (parked) car for some time while the ready mode is on (there has been word around here that sometimes after sitting for awhile in the ready mode, the gas engine will come on and cause the car to jolt forward anywhere from a few centimeters to a foot or more).

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's real easy. :) Just pop it into Drive, it will go out of Park. Same happens when you move it into Reverse. The "B" position is used when you're going down a long hill (much like dropping into a lower gear). When you've stopped for the trip, you can either press Park, then Power, or just Power (it'll automatically go into Park).

4. EmptyG

EmptyG New Member

Awesome replies! This board is great. I posted my message at 10:33 and within ten minutes I had two responses that answered my question.

Thanks again! Glad to be a member of this board :)

aaf709 - I'll be seeing you on the roads here in San Diego soon! :)

5. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmptyG @ May 9 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]252235[/snapback]</div>
    That's great! :)

Be sure to join the Prius Club of San Diego. BTW, I don't use the B much in San Diego. Some spots I would use it would be the Texas Street decent into Mission Valley, Pomerado Road going into Poway and Fletcher Parkway going towards El Cajon. Also leaving Julian toward Cuyamaca (but I haven't driven to Julian in the Prius yet).

6. EmptyG

EmptyG New Member

aaf709 - Yeah I mostly will be driving streets (no freeways in my daily commute). I go from Encinitas to RB every day (approx. 19 miles). From what I have read, this is ideal Prius driving :)

But yeah no big hills really for me at all. My girlfriend and I do go to Julian once a year or so, so maybe on the way back from there :)

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmptyG @ May 9 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]252244[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not particularly familiar with California geography, but I understand the weather in SD is pretty consistent. You will also get consistent fuel economy as the weather doesn't change radically from season to season. Anyone who lives in a climate with apparent seasons and temperatures that change accordingly knows that the Prius has pretty significant fuel economy swings from season to season.

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmptyG @ May 9 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]252226[/snapback]</div>

I was going to add that there's a site that has a sort of "Virtual Prius" where it shows you what's happening during most of the shifting (excluding the "B"), but I can't seem to find it. :( It's a G1 setup, but you'd get the idea.

9. EmptyG

EmptyG New Member

jeromep - You are correct. It stays pretty constant here in San Diego. The highs usually never cross 90 degrees (at least on the coast where I live) and the lows usually never get below 50 in the dead of winter.

So it sounds like I should get fairly consistent MPG

I just got off the phone with my agent and she said the car should be here in mid-to-late June. Too long to wait!!! :(

aaf - if you do find that, please let me know. I'd really be interested in seeing that!

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmptyG @ May 9 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]252297[/snapback]</div>
    I'm no Prius driving expert, but I get middle 40s during the winter and upper 40s to low 50s during the summer (that's MPG, folks). My 18 mile (each way) commute consists of residential, freeway and winding mountain roads.

Hang in there. That's only a few weeks. :)

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmptyG @ May 9 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]252297[/snapback]</div>
    It's called the Prius Driving Simulator, and it shows you what's happening in the different modes (including "B" I see). This is a Gen 1, so the layout is different. Still, it's kinda fun. :)

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 9 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]252230[/snapback]</div>
    Jennifer: I hope you put the car in PARK before you engage the emergency brake!!! If the car is in Drive and the emergency brake is holding the car motionless, I suspect (though I am not certain) that the computer may not recognize the emergency brake as actual brake, and may be sending current to MG2. Over some short time, MG2 can burn out if current is going to it while it is not moving. Perhaps someone who knows better can clarify.

At Lacey, Mike had a torn-down HSD, with MG2 burned out. The speculation is that the owner of that HSD had tried to charge the battery by stepping on the brake and the accelerator simultaneously with the car in Drive. This sent current to MG2 to try to move the car, but with the car held motionless MG2 does not turn, and all that current goes through just one of MG2's loops. Poof. With the car in Park it knows not to try to drive MG2, and if the engine does come on, the current from MG1 will go to the battery.

(Though I'd have thought that with the brake depressed the computer would know not to send current to MG2.)

Of course, we know that the car keeps the battery charged and the user does not need to do anything to charge the battery. But not every Prius owner reads Prius Chat. And some people, sometimes, will do some pretty dumb things.

13. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 12 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]254106[/snapback]</div>
    Doh!! I did mean to include the word 'park' in there, I would definitely only use the e-brake if I'm already in park. Thanks for catching that. ;)

Ok, I just double checked my post and I did indeed have the word 'parked' in there, as seen in the first line in your quote. I also added 'parked' in parentheses a little later in the same paragraph for further clarification.