1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Sound Makeover - Sound Deadening, Speakers, Processor, Amp, and Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ultraturtle, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Silverprius2

Silverprius2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fantastic write up! Just curious as to how much the labor cost was to get the sound deadening done. A few years ago I did a sound deadening on my diesel truck by myself and it took a while to finish it. I'd much rather have someone else do it. Just wondering about the cost of labor.

2. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just curious which part of the car improved the quietness of the car the most as far as sound deadening went? Or did you only test it when it was done?

3. Dominus

Dominus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I apologize for the necro but this thread has some really useful information and has lead me down the rabbit hole of vehicle deadening. While doing this I have discovered while sound deadener showdown closed its doors a while back his website has been archived on the wayback machine. These pages includes information on the core principles, the products used and philosophy behind their use and selection, materials lists for vehicles, build guides on specific parts, tips on working with the individual products and build diaries for vehicles including this one giving you the other side to this story.
    Normally i wouldnt revive a post like this but this information is invaluable to someone using this thread as a resource, and combined allow you to do the job right, plus if op sees this i figure they might want to see the other side of the story
    As for sds all i could find is the owner retired and abruptly closed up shop, it looks like resonix has picked up the torch as far as top quality sound treatment products go

jr33zy likes this.
  4. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are correct about Resonix being at the top of the food chain in sound treatment. Nick Apecella is the guy responsible for bringing the product to market. Nick can be reached at 845-553-9500. His shop, Vanguard Automotive Design, is in Stony Point N.Y. The product can also be shipped anywhere. Check out their website at [email protected]

5. Dominus

Dominus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just put in my order with him, and top if the food chain is a bit of an understatement, compared to the next most effective cld, dynamat extreme, his cld is 8 times as effective, his equivilent to mlv/ccf is far more than i want to spend, so i am going generic 1lb/ft² mlv and 1/8" neoprene, and depending on cost compared to hydrophobic melamine foam i may go with his fiber mat once he finally brings it to the table when i get around to doing the headliner. I am using this page and the archived build log from sds as my primary resources on this project and i went as far as to download the archived site in its entirety to guarantee i have access to it, i intend to do a build log on this when i get down to it.

jr33zy likes this.
  6. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I said I thought it was the best....NOT the least expensive!!! LOL

7. Dominus

Dominus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And many evenings chatting with nick on fb and a few forums and more than a few phone calls i just dropped my order for fiber mat its looking like my entire build save my mlv will be resonix, and if i dont get this put together before the temperature drops too low i may be able to save up and order a sedan kit of barrier by the time spring rolls around and it is warm enough to install and go full bore resonix

8. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately for me I did not know about Resonix products until I visited Nicks shop in Stony Point N.Y. for him to do my System Tuning. After seeing the products in person I would have opted to use Resonix in the entire car. Great stuff. Far and away much better than ANYTHING else on the market. Good luck with your soundproofing project. Hopefully the weather holds out for you. Let us know your thoughts on installing the Resonex materials and how you like the product.

9. Dominus

Dominus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I plan on doing a full build log when i get down to my install, i currently plan on delaying my project until spring so i am not working with a time crunch and so i can save up and go ahead and purchase barrier instead of mlv, and do my build entirely with resonix,

jr33zy likes this.
  10. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea.... you can't go wrong with the Resonix materials. Best stuff out there. You get what you pay for. Keep us all posted when you start your install and take LOTS of pictures. What vehicle are you doing the install on ???

jr33zy likes this.
  11. Dominus

Dominus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    2012 prius V III, i have already gotten my cld in, nick just got in his fibermat and started shipping it a few days back, i have already swapped my headunit with a kenwood excelon ddx 9907xr and front speakers with a set of jl audio c1-690, i have a JL Audio 10W6v3-D4 on it's way

12. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice...Take lots of pics