1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Totaled? 2011 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ic8727, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Ic8727

Ic8727 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys. Looking for advice as adjuster taking time to get to me (and insurance is not covering rental, so i need to figure if to look for a new car).
    2011 prius, with 150k on it. Was in heavy traffic last week, and vehicle in front stopped sudden, while my brakes didnt react properly (was breaking on a bump), so it felt like sliding and went under the bumper of truck in front. Their car had only scratches, while my hood smashed, 5min later “check hybrid” and engine malfunction showed, also all coolant leaked from a car over night (it was making weird clickig sounds when braking too - parked it on the street 5 min away from accident). Attaching images, air bag didnt deplote (it was barely any speed really, but car went under the bumper so looks smashed). The rear bumper got couple scratches too from a car behind (no bents tho).

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Definitely doesn't look totalled. Good luck with the repairs.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

that'll buff right out ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am assuming you had collision coverage on your car? If so, the insurance company may calls it totaled even though it is minor damage that is fixable. What is your car's fair market value? If the complete repair cost is more than that value or even just close enough, the insurance company will call it totaled. I had similar case with my old car my kid wrecked. The damage was very minor and car was still drivable, but the cost of complete restoration and repair was deemed more than the value of the car. It was called totaled. I ended up buying the car back from the insurance company and fixed it cheaply, and kept most of insurance proceeds in my pocket.

#4 Salamander_King, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Threej, Dxta, CR94 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    From recent experience, if the repair cost exceeds the listed salvage value of the car (usually just 20-25% of fair market value) your insurance will call it totaled. In that case, they would pay you the FMV, and they would keep your car to sell it for the salvage value. I believe, if you ask nice, you might be able to receive the difference between FMV and salvage value in cash. Plenty of shops would agree to put the car back in running condition and make it look pretty good for a fraction of the insurance company's estimated price. In my case, I was fortunate that the other driver's insurance (Nationwide) paid for a premium shop of their own choice to restore the damage to showroom condition. Good luck and keep us posted, OK?

6. Ic8727

Ic8727 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you everyone. Car has insurance and gap coverage, yes. Adjuster been lacking and didnt get back to me for 3 days already, and since they dont cover rental its starting to get on my nerves

KellieB123 and bisco like this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does your insurance plan cover rental fees if your car is not operable due to accident?

8. Ic8727

Ic8727 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately no :( thats why its been a long week trying to decide what to do, while trying to get them to come to vehicle. Car is stored at body shop already. Debating just going to buy a new (used) car, cause body shop said it looks it might be totalled and insurance is taking that long

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm being nosy, but: is the rental car a necessity for you? You need it for business? Seems like the rental is just adding stress.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know about OP's situation, but if we had only one car and that one car becomes inoperable due to accident, I will need another car as a mode of transportation immediately. We have absolutely no other mode of transportation. Closest store is 15 miles from our home. Bicycle would be too dangerous on rural highway, and walking is just as bad. In fact during winter, it would be impossible to walk or bike on our roads around us. Basically, we would be stranded without a car. My rental car coverage from the car insurance is only additional ~$10/year. Well worth it.

#10 Salamander_King, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Raytheeagle, RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Is it just me, or OCD, but why is it that people continue to drive a car that has been in an accident? They don't have what may be called the convenience of an alternative source of conveyance? They don't worry about further damage? Are they in shock or something?

12. Ic8727

Ic8727 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whos driving a car that been in accident? I got car off the road, and reparked it in street cleaning free zone to figure solution with insurance etc since it was night time. Car been in body shop ever since, and insurance called only today and just to say they dont have anybody available in the area and need to “scout” people. Mind you, i live in LA so yes, car is a neccesity

bisco likes this.
  13. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry, I read more into your truncated manner of "text-speak" and assumed (there's that word again) the worst. Don't you just hate that brake/anti-slip interaction where a bump in the road can in a split second cancel your braking? I get that on cattle guards, pot holes, I have to maintain a mental map of my route so I know where these hazards are when the rains come. I can understand the need for an over-torque protection when accelerating, but why mess with the braking circuit.

14. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely a total loss.

Front Bumper $1500
    Rear bumper $700-1k (sounds like repair only)
    Windshield $500
    Headlight and straighten rad tie bar $500-$750
    Radiator and a/c condenser $750-$1k
    New hood and paint. $1k

We’re already at $5k + not counting hidden damage.

FMV of a Prius of that age is probably $6k at best. Insurance will usually repair up to 80% of the vehicle’s value since they have to take the salvage value of the vehicle into account.

mikey_t and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why the heck do they still call those things "bumpers". :mad:

Walking the dog, I noticed some Lexus CUV monstrosity today; they take it to a whole other level, of absurdity. :rolleyes:

Sorry, ranting... :oops:

#15 Mendel Leisk, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    CR94, Raytheeagle and The Critic like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Something like this:):

DA88F945-3643-4F01-ACDC-DD39D4B516B4.jpeg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    exactly :rolleyes:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The cooled seats are a FANTASTIC option:).

Guess what doesn’t have that option even at the highest trim levels:whistle:?

And when you’re inside, you don’t see the front;).

It also very quiet inside(y).

RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Ic8727

Ic8727 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Insurance finally showed up (and totaled the car), which im not mad about tbh cause i wasnt very happy about perspective to drive fixed car after engine/brakes were acting weird already. Sad to see it go, it got me cross country twice, bye bye prius

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Strange world though, when a modest hit like that means a car is scrapped.