1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Totaled the only car i ever loved. This is for you, '08 Prius. Question about removing battery

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hard2handle, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Hard2handle

Hard2handle New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This is my first post. Like all of you I became enamored with these little zippy little vehicles once I found myself in one.
    Had it three months before I met someone going up a hill bearing down opposite in my lane. I swerved to miss, but she pushed my driver's side wheel back and glanced off my side.
    The adjustors are coming soon. I've got it cleaned up.
    My question is: is it worth it to try and take the battery out and resell it? Id imagine they'd catch that, and devalue my car.
    I'm just really worried I'm not going to get a like vehicle in this rare car market. I know they'll try to low-ball me.
    I'm a good driver, and am hardly in an accident. This is working my nerve.
    Thank you all and god bless america!

vvillovv likes this.
  2. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hope you were OK from your accident! The insurance company‘s job is to lowball you. Unfortunately if you remove the battery they will definitely subtract the value or will tell you to put it back. If you have done any maintenance such as tires and have a receipt that will help you. See what’s out there on the used market compared to your vehicle same year same options and see what they are going for. Make sure your insurance company give you a similar amount minus your deductible obviously.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome first time poster.
    That sounds like a scary accident, seeing another car coming at you in the wrong lane.
    When considering selling parts of the car, a lot depends on how good you can write ads. and how much you know about the parts you are selling. If you can get the car in READY mode, have a ODB2 bluetooth adapter
    and DrPrius app for your phone, you can get some screenshots of the battery in the condition it's in now. That might be helpful if selling the whole pack, blocks of 2 modules or even single modules from that battery pack.
    I wish you have good luck with insurance, too.
    Accidents are almost always a hassle to deal with. Every once in a while the stars align and the outcome lets those nerves quiet themselves.