1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Totaled

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by froSTed, Jul 20, 2005.

1. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They said that the crash was my fault because the driver of the other car was a woman, by default that means innocent here in NC. I could not fight the ticket because there was no proof that she ran the light. If it means anything, she was not injured, and I was, and as I was getting into the ambulance a DSL truck nearly smashed into the ambulance at that same intersection.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well not surprised that the insurance industry is messed up. a necessary evil i guess although i never met an insurance agent that wasnt a crook.

antyone hear about the 2 trillion dollar insurance scam in Ca over an earthquake a few years back?

3. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remind me never to drive in North Carolina. It sounds like its about one step above driving in Mexico. :pukeleft:

BTW, I've had State Farm insurance for years and the agent has always been willing to go to the mat to protect my interests.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm. Sounds strange that there was no "proof" that she had run that light. Nobody else around, no traffic camera? They shouldn't have made such an arbitrary judgement like that.

And I have a feeling that if (and I certainly hope not) I were to get in an accident, no matter whose fault it really was I would get the blame because I have Wisconsin license plates...

Seems to be a lot of anti-northerner sentiment around here.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like it or not folks, this is how the rules work. If you are making a left turn, you must yield to through traffic. Since nobody can state that she blew a red light, then it is assumed that he turned left in front of her, and violated her right of way. This is why Frosted was charged with the accident, not because the other driver was a woman. I was in an identical wreck many years ago, where a female driver turned left in front of me as I was entering the intersection. My light was green, and I also had witnesses to the effect, and she was charged with the accident, which totalled both the company van that I was driving, as well as her brand spanking new Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the temp plates still on the back.

6. exces6

exces6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman\";p=\"109688)</div>
    But if it's a protected left, it should be the other person's fault.

7. popoff

popoff New Member

I would imagine on a protected light, you would need a witness to corroborate your claim that the arrow was still green for you. Otherwise, the other person could say you turned in front of them and it would fall on you.

8. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"109648)</div>
    Hasn't the Triangle area already been full of northerners for years?

9. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is true if she was coming towards you on the same street. If she was on the cross street then since you were already in the intersection you had the right-of-way.

10. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst\";p=\"109643)</div>
    Actually, we have a very strong and consumer oriented insurance commission. I've contacted them several times over the years and they have always been very responsive and willing to help.

11. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(froSTed\";p=\"109614)</div>
    If you don't mind my asking, what were the nature of your injuries? Were you thrown to the passenger side from the impact? Did the side airbags open on the driver side?

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popoff\";p=\"109697)</div>
    Hasn't the Triangle area already been full of northerners for years?[/b][/quote]

Sure has.

Doesn't mean people like it... as evidenced by the near 10 miles we were followed around Durham by a guy hanging out the window screaming at us from a pickup truck about how we $%&()#$&*^ Yankees should go home and all sorts of other insults

There are plenty of other things that have happened to support that "anti-northerners" claim as well...

13. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was hit ON the passenger side, the seat belt cut into my ribs and nearly broke them, my liver was not damaged but my side hurts like a punch to the right side every time I exercise. The airbags did not deploy anywhere but on the passenger side, on the side.

14. will

will New Member

Sorry to hear, glad you ok.

15. Indy

Indy New Member

Thank God no one was hurt.

I have been in some accidents, and anger sometimes resulted, but in the long run nothing matters (regarding car accidents) but your health.

I thought I should mention that I have had State Farm for years, and I have always found them to be expensive and somewhat bureaucratic, but when I have needed them they were quickly responsive and more than fair with settlements, both in replacing/repairing cars and in one case paying a medical settlement.

16. hilore

hilore New Member

Ouch! You got hurt and a ticket too? Since no witness, going to be
    tough to proof you are innocent. Can you get an independ investigator to checkout the accident site?

Good luck!

--Hilore
    --Palm Springs, CA

17. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The accident site is known for this sort of thing. No investigation needed. I had to plead guilty or I would have had to higher a lawyer that would have cost more then 5 times the ticket and even then there's no guarantee I would get off.

18. nannyandnutro

nannyandnutro New Member

I'm sorry to hear that! At least the Scion is still a Toyota, albeit a lower end one. I guess what I don't understand is the price difference. An xB is what, 13k new? Used maybe 12k? That seems a little skewed and unfair. My '04 cost $11,000 in repairs after I rear ended someone but they still fixed it. Those airbags will get you every time...

19. mypriusiscute

mypriusiscute New Member

frosted- if you don't like the xb you should have got something else ex:used PRIUS

-jake

20. mypriusiscute

mypriusiscute New Member

I don't like scion alot either guys but fyi.... toyota makes scions thats why toyota/scion dealers are combined
    (as nanny already said)
    -jake