1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch-less car washes and undercarriage washing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Razz, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Razz

Razz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a new owner of a 2007 Toyota Prius, and now that winter has arrived, I've begun to wonder whether I should go through automatic car washes (including an undercarriage wash). I've always heard that removing the salt from the car and undercarriage can reduce rusting and corrosion of the vehicle. I'd like to extend the longevity of this car as much as possible.

Are there any concerns I should be aware of? I didn't find any specific details in the owner's manual regarding whether undercarriage washes are recommended or beneficial, especially since this is a hybrid car and may be setup differently underneath the vehicle.

Any advice is welcome!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An undercarriage wash can't hurt, but I suspect it's not that effective. If you jack up the car and look you'll likely find a dismaying amount of rust, regardless: on suspension components and bolts. But yeah, just do what you can.

Getting into the wheel wells by hand with a hose is important. Grit/salt collects on the wheel well edges. Every (by hand) car wash I do starts with the wheel wells, rears in particular. Direct the water at the inside of the edge, and feel with fingers for grit/gravel jammed in there. An old toothbrush can help with the cleaning sometimes, but just your fingers are best.

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is a good idea, but absolutely NOT if the vehicle cannot dry completely before it will freeze.

Why? When water freezes, it expands and can cause seam separation if repeated often.