1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Touch Screens

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Mendel Leisk, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    RCO, bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, one thing I hate about my PRIME is the 11.6 inch touch screen LCD panel. It is impossible to even change radio station with my heavy work gloves in my hands after working a few minute outside of car to clear the snow. I don't use navi, and I basically have the climate control set at AUTO all the time.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great article, but one clarification. while it is possible to stop what you are doing when using your smart phone, many people don't, and it can be just as dangerous as a touch screen in a cait's amazing how long voice commands are taking.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the touch screens BUT I wish the manufacturers would blend the benefits of both. I don't want all touchscreen or all buttons (although if I had to pick one or the other, all buttons is preferred).

But a blend like the Gen 3 works well or some of the Honda products with the dual screen setup (not my favourite set up but at least it had a controller and buttons around it).

I see a lot of Gen 2 in the Gen 4/Prime (minus the storage spaces lol) but I found the Gen 2's screen easy to use. It helped that a lot of the audio and climate control buttons were on the steering wheel. For those that never had a Gen 2, you were able to control the temperature, the recirc/fresh air, front defroster, rear defroster and even turn on/off the climate control with the steering wheel mounted buttons. That was super convenient. Combine that with the audio controls (and navigation buttons if equipped) and you rarely had to interact with the touchscreen but got the benefit of a large 7" LCD for hybrid information or navigation map.

The Prime's screen is nice but I wished they added a few more buttons on the steering wheel for climate. I guess their solution is the ability to change via the MID but that requires multiple presses to get the climate menu.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You could say the same thing for screens that are in the center and down away from the line of sight. Imagine the time to adjust your focus, read the screen, press and see that your press had an effect if you have bifocals. They are wonderful if I have a navigator to read the screen and perform some action for me.

Imagine trying to turn on the defrost or the wipers from a touch screen set to navigation.

Or needing to do something NOW and the sun angle causes a washout of the screen so it is unreadable.

Or needing to do something in a rental car in a new city in traffic with an interface totally different from the ones you are used to.

(It isn't like I'm techno adverse, I have 5 touch screen devices I interact with daily. Just terribly aware of what a few seconds of driver distraction can cause.)

Mendel Leisk, RCO and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    having buttons as an alternative is great for us old folks, but allowing the touch screen controls might mean the 17 year old coming the opposite way might kill me.
    although, as long as they can text and drive, it probably doesn't matter.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This kind of reminds me of the old Star Trek movie where Scotty had to use a really antiquated computer and he tries to talk to it and there was the keyboard on the console. Anyone remember this episode? We are almost there. lol

RCO, Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.
  8. Gabyprius

Gabyprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought my first Prius two days ago and I think I made the mistake of thinking this was normal. Whenever I look at the navigation , it hurts my eyes!! what’s up with this? I found no info about this anywhere on the internet. Please advise!

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome. Did you buy new car or used car? Your profile says you have 2011 Prius Four, if that is the model, you might have better chance getting answer to your question by posting under Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion | PriusChat. I am not an expert, and I don't have experience with your particular model, but the photo you attached looks like LCD panel is going bad. I have had aged tablet with similar coloration. Sorry couldn't give you more precise advice. I am sure others will chime in soon.

10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that looks like a 2011 IV. Was it like that when you bought it?

11. Gabyprius

Gabyprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, just bought it used the other day. Has 135k miles on it. Got it from a local Honda dealer. They took it in as a trade-in. I asked them about it today and they say it’s normal but it can’t be right! it’s so bad, I can barely look at it without getting dizzy. It shouldn’t be like that. When you take a picture of your LCD with a cell phone, does it look like that?

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, as I said above, I don't have the same car as yours. I use to own Gen3 Prius like yours but my trim had no Nav, so can't compare. You will have better luck if you post it under Gen3 topic. That said, the color of the lcd screen in you photo is obviously abnormal.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Ah for the good old days of rotary dial, cell phones.

Self-erasing, electronic mail:
    [​IMG]

Samsung perfected:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

ps. Over the top?

#13 bwilson4web, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Prius Maximus, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I insist we use the cone of silence...

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally find the Gen2 interface easier to use while driving, and I really miss the recirc button on the steering wheel that's gone on the Prime. The rapid flickering I notice from (what I assume is) LED PWM in the Prime also kind of drives me nuts.

The thing that I've recently found annoying is the lack of charging information displayed on the screens when the car isn't on (it's waaay more focused on the window being open or whatever) - I really don't understand why it isn't displaying state of charge/range/time to full almost all the time.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First thing that came to my mind was....

It's gotta be - glorious technicolour, breathtaking CinemaScope and (in a deep, booming voice) stereophonic sound!

.. as usual, I was absolutely no help at all. But, good luck with the dealership (it ain't normal at all) and welcome to Prius Chat.

18. Gabyprius

Gabyprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks!

19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that it isn't normal, but unfortunately you aren't going to get anywhere with the dealership. Unless you have some sort of warranty on it....it is likely buyer beware.

20. Gabyprius

Gabyprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it possible that it got wet and that happened? anyone with a 2011 LCD mind sending me a picture of their screen to see if it has the same rainbow effect?