1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch switch won't open liftback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DomL 07, Nov 22, 2016.

1. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all.

I am having a problem with the opening mechanism on the back hatch door. No matter where I press, it doesn't open anymore. It's been getting worse and worse, and today I couldn't open it at all.

I think it's the actual pressure switch part, but I don't know.

Does anyone have experience with this and how hard is it to get and change ?

Thank you for all the help I've gleaned from here so far.
    Dom

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you hear the mechanism when you press?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is a little touchy about where I put my fingers to get it to unlock. If already unlocked, it opens easily. Not sure if yours a lock issue or a latch issue.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone here (recent thread) opened up their switch and fixed it, saving a costly replacement. If it turns out to be internal problem in the switch, it would be worth searching for this. I forget what the issue was, mostly just accumulated crud I think?

5. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry it took so long to get back on here and th answer your answer.
    No, I cannot hear the mechanism.
    Weather it's locked, or unlocked, nothing.

6. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I wasn't on here again till now.
    It was touchy for a while, now, nothing. Not even a sound. I'm figuring the switch itself is gone.

Thank you !

7. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to thank you.

Thank you !

8. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doing some look ups after this.

Thank you !

9. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An additional question. Is there another way to open the back from inside the car ?

10. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To answer your question about opening the hatch from the inside of the car, look in your owner's manual for the instructions. If you do not have a manual, you should register your car on the official Toyota Motor Company vehicle's owner website and then download the manual.

Replacing the switch is a little fussy, mostly because some of the screws tend to strip out. The part costs $60-$90 USD depending where you buy it.

Lots of threads on this forum talk about it and tell you how to do it. Few Youtube videos, also. IIRC, Toyota wanted about $260 to replace it for me last spring (parts and labor). I did it myself.

DomL 07 likes this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WilDavis likes this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't assume it is the switch. I had the lock mechanism itself fail. The way to test is to remove the grey plastic cover over the latch mechanism and then locate the plug where it connects (to the left as you look in the hatch from the back). Use a voltmeter to determine whether there is a voltage as you press the latch switch. See my photo to see to which 2 pins to test. If you get 12 V momentarily when you press the switch (and hold the switch closed; note: there is only voltage for about 500 ms), it is the latch mechanism, not the switch. If you get no voltage it is the switch. I guess there must be a relay to provide the 500 ms voltage, so that could be a point of failure too. But I didn't need to check that far as it was the mechanism.

Now the bad news (for me YMMV), they do not keep this part in stock in my country (I guess it hardly ever fails), and they would have to special order it for something like NZ$300+ from Japan. I put out the word out on the salvage network that I was looking for one and was able to get a salvaged part for NZ$45, so was happy with that. The part when I received it looked "used", compared to mine which looked "pristine". The big difference between the two, mine didn't work. Installed the salvaged part and has been working without issue for the last 2+ years.

I don't know why the original failed, I never looked into it. I have attached some photos so you can visualise details a bit better (I hope).

The entire cover (not just the center piece) that needs to be removed; just grab it firmly near the ends and lift straight up:
    Prius 1 latch repair - latch cover.jpg

Another view with the cover higher up:
    Prius 2 latch repair - latch cover 2.jpg

The latch and plug (to the right in this picture) taken from the back seat towards the rear of the car:
    Prius 3 latch repair - latch .jpg

The pins on the plug to test:
    Prius 4 latch repair - test pins.jpg

Hope that helps.

DomL 07 and valde3 like this.
  13. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It might. I have to get the hatch open first, which is where I'm stuck.
    Thank you for this though. I now have a way to figure out what it is.... if I can get the stupid hatch open. lol

Thank you !
    Dom

14. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

16. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all.... especially CyberpriusII for directing me to download the owner's manual.
    After I pulled out the cover and the tray (from inside the car), I fished around to find the switch.
    Started thinking I was dumb because I couldn't find it.
    Gave it one more try from the outside and it opened. Checked the mechanism. Lots of crud in it. WD40'd it and it unlocks from the outside now. Now I have to find the youtube video that chows how to clean it better because it's still very sluggish.

To open it from outside, there's only 1 spot I can press to get it to open. I saw something on that when I first started looking on here, so,
    back to looking I go.

Again, thank you all !
    Dom

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are looking for a short, shiny metal lever located at the hatch lock assembly. When you move that lever, that motion will unlatch the hatch lock. I suggest you try to find that lever before you have another problem with the hatch lock.
    If you feel that the hatch opening switch is close to failing, then it should be replaced.

18. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This video may help in terms of finding the inside lever to open the hatch. It is not the greatest video, but he does eventually show you the actual silver lever that Patrick talks about around the 4 minute and 45 second mark.

BTW, if you are registered on the Toyota owners site, be sure to check that you have completed all the recalls on the car. If you bought it used, you can also check any repair records (usually only see repairs done by a Toyota dealer).

#18 cyberpriusII, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  19. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

When I got the hatch open, I took the whole assemble off ( 3 bolts ) and cleaned it.
    When I turned it over, I found the silver manual switch.
    It's impossible to see from the inside. lol

Now I know how to open it by hand. After I clean the mechanism, and fix the pressure opening part,
    I don't think I will have any more problems.

Thank you !

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I got the hatch open, from the outside, I removed the mechanism ( 3 bolts ) and cleaned it with WD40.
    It's working, but the pressure part on the outside is finicky. there's only 1 spot that will work.
    Going to remove that and see on Monday.

I found the silver manual switch inside, when I had the mechanism off. It's impossible to see from inside. lol
    When I refastened the mechanism, the manual release worked fine.

Good idea on the recalls. I haven't done any of them. I have 215,000 miles. I think it's time.

Thanks,
    Dom

Mendel Leisk likes this.