1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch-up Paint for 2015 Prius v wagon front bumper

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eugene Sanchez, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Eugene Sanchez

Eugene Sanchez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'd like touch-up some scratches on my 2015 Seaglass green Prius v wagon front bumper, anyone know these questions..?
    • What color is the dark area of the 2 toned front bumper for the 2015 and 2016 Prius v wagon style? would Magnetic gray metallic work for the dark area? along with the Seaglass green?
    • Where can I find a good touch up pen or paint? Doesn't have to be ultra body shop grade but a good touch up for all the scuffs and scratches that are prone from road debris hitting the bumper.
    • How would I touch it up, sanding? 1st coat then 2nd coat?
    Some help would be awesome, i've had my car for only 5 months and all sorts of scratches scuff up on my front bumper from sand, pebbles and road debris.

#1 Eugene Sanchez, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Fearless Flyer

Fearless Flyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi Eugene,

I got touch-up paint right at the Toyota Dealer. It was only about $10.00 for one pen/brush included tube an a perfect color match and doesn't require a separate clear paint. YouTube offers some great videos on applying the touchup. I used both the brush and pen applicators in the bottle and they worked fine, did a pretty nice job.

As far as sanding, I'd stay away from that as you might find you make of a mess than a fix that way depending on the size of the scratch.

Best results occur if applying with temps in the 70's for even application, best drying conditions. The best advise the YouTube video gave was to practice application 1st on a piece of shiny cardboard so you can see how it's doing to actually apply. Think piece of a cereal box or something similar (won't take look to get a feel for it).

Pen tip worked best for the little stone chips found on front bumpers. Brush for something larger. After applying, the paint sets nicely into the scratch or chip. Just follow the directions in the bottle (get magnifuing class) or find other directions on line. Have a little cloth dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol to wipe the pen ball tip if it clogs. Note that there is an inner recessed cap you have to remove before using the ballpoint pen tip. It might be hard to see at first but you just pry it up/off with a finger tip after taking the top off.

Sea Glass Pearl is Toyota Code 7891. Don't know about the black/grey are you're also talking about as nothing similar on my stanrdard Prius.

Good look, just take you time, practice a little and you be happy with the results.

ukulelegeek and orenji like this.
  3. Eugene Sanchez

Eugene Sanchez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Awesome, thanks for all the detailed info, yeah i'm scheduled for my 1st 5000 mile maintenance tune-up in April, i'm sure i can get everything at the Toyota dealer. On all the 2015 and 2016 Prius v wagon models, the front bumper is 2 toned, which kinda appears like Magnetic Gray metallic in the bottom center, while the rest of the car is Seaglass Green. I have a feeling the front bumper is gonna get dinged quite a bit more in the future, as long as the paint is accurate i dont mind touching up the bumper, plus i like DIY projects and working with my hands.