1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch up scratch

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by hybrid hugger, Apr 18, 2017.

1. hybrid hugger

hybrid hugger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2016 Prius Four

Argh...just noticed 2 tiny scratches about an inch long on the driver's side rear door panel. Not very deep but definitely noticeable. Probably shopping carts in a parking lot on a windy day, who knows.

How do I go about touching it up?

Thanks

2. stephan85

stephan85 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Excel
    Depends on how deep are the scratches you have 2 solutions:

1. If only protection coat-layer is affected you can use a professional polish ( like 3M) and then wipe it with pure alcohol and add a layer of protective wax.

2. If the scratches are deep, you can take a cloth, dip it gently in the brake fluid ( just a tiny bit) and rub hard only the surface affected . Do it quick, and NOT in the sun or when the paint is hot. Rinse with pure alcohol. Polish it and apply wax protection. Careful with this solution, it is effective but if u are negligent u can damage the paint.

Neither of the solution works if the base coat is seen ( white). Keep us posted if any of the solution worked for you.

Regards.

RCO likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What colour paint? It will make a difference to how you approach it.

4. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you can see the base coat, then just ignore it right? That's what I've been doing.

krmcg likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about the brake fluid, how it affects water borne paint coatings - it took paint off really quickly on the old acrylic lacquer and could make the situation much worse very quickly. There are 3 types of PRIUS paint - solid (which I think is only white), metallic (most of the rest) and Pearlescent (the pearl white, called different names in different markets at least is Pearl). They are 1, 2 or 3 stage coatings respectively, and need to be approached differently.

[Personally, unless it's down to the metal, I ignore it till it's time to sell - if down to the metal, some treatment to prevent rust is needed.]

grape808 and RCO like this.
  6. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got many rock chips on the front from so much highway driving. Parts of them went beyond the paint and into the plastic. I kind of gave up since I don't know what to do.

RCO and grape808 like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bummer

8. hybrid hugger

hybrid hugger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Magnetic Gray Metallic.

It is a really minor scratch. Thanks for all the great DIY suggestions but I am not very handy :-( I am hoping the dealer can take care of it during a scheduled maintenance!

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a minor ding/chip on a door panel. Body shop proposed for me to fill it, being as diligent as possible about staying within the chip. Keep adding layers till it's above original surface. Then bring it in and they will level it out. I've done the first, have yet to bring it in. The place actually changed ownership while I procratinate, so I'm not sure if I ever will bring it in.

Scratches are a little harder than chips, being so narrow. I would just get a fresh touch-up stick from the dealership, use just the colour end (the clearcoat end lifted the colour coat, in my experience), and keep it as localized and light as possible. You might be able to apply it and quickly wipe with a finger, sort-of squeegee the excess.

This is the pen they sell in Canada. It's sort of like a felt-tip pen. The "nibs" are durable, fibrous chisel tips; you depress them a few times and the paint flows. When new the paint flows very nicely. As they age they gradually start to get thicker, clog. You need to keep them tightly capped, might help too to store in an air-tight baggie:

upload_2017-5-1_7-9-46.png

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  10. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That is why I always buy blizzard pearl for one reason alone this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321683249048

I mix them all together so I don't need to apply layer by layer and I got exact match every time. I am lazy Haha

RCO likes this.