1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touching Up Interior: Leather Seats Bisque

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ydpplqbd, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, newbie here with my third post. Purchased a used 2006 Prius with leather seats. I just got the interior detailed yesterday. Interior came clean but I have some loss of color on the driver seat bolster and the bottom seat bun. I am looking to touch-up these leather seats. I have found a couple of products and I would like input, comments and reviews (if you have also used such products). No links provided as I am prohibited from including links as a newbie. Products that I have found so far are as follows (along with my comments):

Leather Magic: I just off the phone with their representative and they explained the process as

1. Rep says I need to identify the color of the leather. Their website has a color (TY7815) described as Toyota bisque. My understanding is that my 2006 Prius interior is indeed bisque (kind of a putty colored beige - not too brown).

2. I need to buy restoration kit for $50 plus $14 for S&H. When asked what is in the kit, the rep responded with "what you need".

3. Rep was unable to completely explain the application method for this dye. She did explain that that the first coat should be applied with a sponge. Subsequent coats she stated that they had a n optional gizmo which would allow it to be applied as an aerosol.

4. Rep explained that the dye was water based but unable to tell me whether it was a latex paint or product.

Repair Your Leather:

1. No telephone number to speak to a representative.

2. Excellent website with before and after pictures. And, also provides clear instructions for their product which comes in aerosol can and a liquid for foam brush application. Further, instructions state that creased leather that has lost color can often be repaired by light sanding and then multiple tin coats of coloring.

3. No specific application for 2006 (but Toyota used the interior bisque color from 2006 to 2017). Oldest year that they have is 2010. I am confident that I will likely order the bisque kit from them.

Color Bond Paint :

1. Company has knowledgeable and helpful tech representative.

2. However, company has no Toyota colors (suggested picking a Ford color that is similar).

3. This company's coloring is oil based and only in aerosol cans.

4. I was uncomfortable that they do not have the Toyota colors but I like the fact that their product is oil based (should be very durable).

======================================================
    I will follow-up with before and after pics.

SFO likes this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Repair Your Leather kit* for 2010 Toyota Prius bisque colored leather arrived (I know that I have a 2006 Prius but 2010 was the oldest year that their catalogue went back to for Prius). I received the bisque colored dye, a solvent to clean the leather and a foam brush to apply the dye.

I tried the bisque colored dye on an inconspicuous portion of the console (out of car for cleaning). The color match-up looks great. Kit cost I believe $35 plus $18 for Fedex shipping (received in two days). Later this afternoon/evening, I will start on the leather seats when it cools down outside a little. Directions warn against applying dye when it is too hot or cold (right now it is about 85F). Later this evening it should be below 80F (which in my mind is NOT too hot).

Repairyourleather instructions: Instructions

*- See: Toyota Bisque Color Kit

#2 ydpplqbd, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here are some pics below. Taped off L rear seat bottom and touched it up (after sanding with 600 grit sandpaper). Freehanded first coat onthe plastic trim on the threshold of the right rear door. Dye matches well but you can see a difference on the plastic threshold but not really on the leather. Therefore, I will remove the plastic thresholds from the backseat of the car and put more coats outside the car (and then reinstall once dried). Seat looks decent now but a little streaky. According to the vendor, the streaks will go away after several coats are applied.

I feel like I almost ready to take on the front seat.

08102019_prius_leather1.jpeg 08102019_prius_leather2.jpeg 08102019_prius_leather3.jpeg 08102019_prius_leather4.jpeg 08102019_prius_leather5.jpeg