1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring Edition Tire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by wblovett, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Lloyd,

I don't have the Potenza G09 Grid. I have the TripleTreds, which I like for their solid 4 season performance.

Don't know if you're aware of this, but Consumer Reports has conducted new tire tests, and the results are published in its November 2009 issue.

The types of tires tested were:

- All-Season (S & T speed ratings)

- Performance All-Season (H speed rating)

- Performance All-Season (V speed rating)

- Winter

Scans of the Consumer Reports Recommendations and Ratings charts are attached below in a Word file because my computer skills are too limited to insert the charts directly and more clearly into this post (so, zoom in or blow up the view if and as necessary):

Attached Files: [​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

I'd look over those Recommendations and Ratings charts carefully -- lots of very interesting and useful information there.

I think the Hankook Optimo H727 looks especially interesting for people looking for solid 4 season performance -- its snow traction and ice braking are as good or better than most of the winter tires tested, and its price is right.

2. 40wnks

40wnks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    "I don't have the Potenza G09 Grid. I have the TripleTreds, which I like for their solid 4 season performance."

I would have liked to get either the comfort treds or triple treds but they are not available from goodyear for the touring sedan and it's 16 inch wheel. I certainly could stand to be corrected on this.
    Bill (40wnks)

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, neither the ComforTred nor the TripleTred is available in the Touring OEM size of 195/55R16.

But both are available in the 10 mm wider 205/55R16 size.

If I were a Touring owner, I wouldn't hesitate to get the tire I want if I could only get it in the 205/55R16 size.

4. elkhornsun

elkhornsun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was told by Costco that they will only install V or H rated tires on the Prius touring and that would eliminate a lot of tires that re T rated for "only 118 mph". Any V speed rated tire is providing its high speed capability at the expense of tread wear and unless someone is going to actually cruise at 130mph comes only at the expense of 1/3 less miles per set of tires. Odd thing is that the T rated tires have a great load capacity than the V rated tires but that is being ignored.

Going with 195/55R16 also eliminates about 80% of the tires on the market so I looked into the difference in dimensions with a 205/55R16 tire and it is 0.25 inches larger in its radius and about 0.5 inches wider than a 195/55R16 on average.

The Michelin Hydro Edge, besides being top rated by Consumer Reports, has a wear rating that is almost double that of the stock tires and does not appear to have greater rolling resistance to affect gas mileage.

The Falken 912 tires are on sale for 25% off if you buy four at Sears and their performance is excellent but their wear rating indicates about half the life at best of Hydro Edge tires.

The Goodyear Assurance TT seem good from the specs but they have 3/4 the probable road life of the Hydro Edge tires, which makes them about 30% more expensive.

5. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the updates and details. I had pretty much decided on the hydroedge. They are not available in the 195R55/16 for the touring model, but I am able to get them at the 205R55/16.
    A suggestion was for the 205R50/16 as these would be almost identical in overall height/radius as the 195R55/16, but they are not available.
    I have ordered from 1010tires.com, should be here next week, will let you all know if I have any challenges or notice any significant changes. anything has got to be better than the oem's.

6. 262slug

262slug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lloyd,

I have a 2007 Prius touring edition in need of new tires. I tried to get the Michelin Energy Saver or Primacy (non-runflat) in the 195/55 R16 size with no luck. I am now considering going with the Michelin Hydro Edge 205/55 R16.

Can you give me some feedback on your experiences with them?

Thanks,

Albert

7. emphasis303

emphasis303 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone know if the 205 60 16 will fit alright with no clearance issues?

Thank you

8. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    size should fit without issue.
    Milage and speed will the issues.
    revs/mile 825 195/55 r16 Stock tires
    revs/mile 811 205/55 r16 1.8% to low - 60mph vs 61.1
    revs/mile 785 205/60 r16 5.1% to low - 60mph vs 63.0

Your gas milage will suffer due to the lower revs/mile of the tires with the same rpms of the engine.
    You will not go as far on the same gallon of gas.

My mileage thus far on the new 205/55R16 Hydroedge is down from approx 47mpg to 43mpg.
    Other factors - lots of rain, cold weather and new tires (break-in period) aer still factors and the true test is during the next warm dry season, but you will lose more with the 205/60R16s.

9. timberg

timberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re Touring Tire size increase, so who out there has been running 205/55 16 (vs stock 195/55 16)? Some local tire retailers say theyr'e ok with it, other say no way they'll mount them, liability or fear of customer complaints no doubt the reason. So, if experience is a teacher, love to hear from someone who's used that size for a while. Thanks!

10. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry about the late reply, but i do have the Potenza G019 grids.

from day one they are awesome tires. i switched from the 15" rims and integrity's.........i was up to 47 mpg with these tires and with the potenza's, i'm currently at 44 mpg.

the difference is a much shorter stopping time, and i can rail through turns listed 30mph to over 50mph. the air pressure is 44/42. they wear fine and i've got over 20,000 miles on them without significant wear.

hope that helps.

Attached Files:

11. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had the HydroEdge 205/55R16s on since Nov 1 - almost 2000 miles so far.
    No issue with fit or performance. No safety issues or concerns expressed by tire company to put them on.
    Much better handling, great in the rain, good so far in the snow.
    Milelage - down a bit for now, but not sure if this is tire related or weather (heavy rain, snow, cold, etc). Also, tires apparently need 'break-in' period to improve rolling resistance.
    Best tank with new tires 45.2, down from 46/48 previous 3.
    They look good though.
    :D

12. raholco

raholco Ailurophile

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just swapped the OEM Turanza's with Nokian WRG2's in the 205/55R16 size as they were off the shelf. They are a much quieter tire and and the seem to grip better than the OEM's.

The service writer pooh-pooed the idea of the 205s, but the place that installed them did a check and there wasn't an issue.

I think for the Twin Cities, this is the tire to use if you don't want to swap tires when the seasons change.

13. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Michellen HydroEdge 205/55R16s - Installed early Nov 2009.
    I drove to Anaheim, Ca (From Vancouver, BC Canada) over the holiday season racking up 3150 miles on the new tires. 44/44psi, full grille-block until Anahiem where I removed one lower blocking foam.
    Avg mileage: 42.5Mpg (best tank while in LA 45.7Mpg)
    Speed est: 60-70mph.
    Engine temp: usually 89c/90c 192f-194f
    High reading 100c/212f Grants Pass briefly
    Additional notes: 2 adults, 2 teenage kids, 4 suitcases, 1 cooler, 4 'carry-ons', 1 hockey bag.
    I figured with the luggage and other gear, plus the passengers we had an extra 850lbs in the car. The top of the rear wheels were NOT visible under the rear fender (poor car).
    see pics
    Weather: heavy rain from Seattle south, cleared up after Portland. Clear/dry Eugene to San Fransico and beyond. Return trip, similar but in reverse.
    Overall the tires worked great in rain and dry, great handling.
    Milelage is below what I expected, however with the excess weight in the vehicle, speeds, hills, etc it makes sense.
    Tires are now broken in properly and I am seeing a return to the winter expecations of 43.5 to 45mpg depending on the weather. We are still getting rain which seems to also decrease the milelage. No cold weather (relatively speaking) yet.
    Update - Jan 24th - Last tank 45.8Mpg, cool weather, light rain - not really winter weather.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. pjw3

pjw3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my stock 400s w/ Hancook Ventus V4es. With about 500 miles I love the drop in road noise and the ride, but the mileage is down about 4-5 mpg, from 50+ Jersey Turnpike @ 67mph, down to about 46mpg. More than I am happy to go with. Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone Ecopia? Any suggestions on tires that you ARE happy with that give excellent fuel mileage?

15. pjw3

pjw3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ecopia 100s are very satisfactory after 1st 1000 mi. Definitely recommend them.

16. TRStahl

TRStahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did your mileage increase with the Ecopia 100s?

17. imalulu

imalulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ecopia 100s are very satisfactory after 1st 1000 mi. Definitely recommend them.[/QUOTE]

Can you please give us more details on your experience with the Bridgestone Ecopia 100s, please?

18. atlantic442

atlantic442 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Touring Edition and just finished putting 50K miles on a set of Nokian WR G2's. Tire pressure new was set at 42 front 40 rear, as tires wore I noticed centers wearing and reduce pressure to 40 front 38 rear. Tires wearing fairly even into all the wear bars.

OEM tires were replaced at 20K two (2) years ago (I drive alot). Gas mileage then was 45-48 mpg. Gas mileage with the Nokians has averaged 50 mpg, lately I have been getting 53 mpg.

With all the newer technology what is the recommended tire available now?

Hans

19. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

20. Cip

Cip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, any experience on the clearence compatibility for 195/60 R16? Thx!
    Tire Upgrade | Page 27 | PriusChat
    Changing tire size | PriusChat