1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

touring owners: check your rear struts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, May 29, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    an interesting story, as they usually start out...

to make a long story short, DH had an 07 touring with some major suspension damage in the shop recently. he ordered a replacement rear strut for the touring edition. when he went to put it in... uh oh... it doesn't match! so he did some digging around and found out that this particular touring edition prius had the wrong struts on it! they were the smaller struts from the non-touring model.

sooo.... check your struts. here's how.

look under the car from the rear. on either side you will see where the strut tubes attach to the rear suspension beam. just above the attachment point are two painted bands on the strut tube. the TE prius has a pink stripe and a red stripe. the non-TE prius has a blue stripe and a red stripe (and are smaller, but if you've got nothing to compare to...)

from a random sampling on the lot of maybe 5 of each version, this paint scheme thing holds true. now if we get some non-matches, we'll have to tackle those as they come. all the ones he checked had the appropriate suspension parts on them. now if it changed along the line somewhere... he's not sure. he's never had reason to look at these before! well now he's gonna be looking at them. he is going to report this to toyota as well.

DiscoCat likes this.
  2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: THANKS galaxee...

You continue to be a great source of accurate, informative posts on PriusChat.

Needless to say, I immediately took my flashlight and checked my '07 Touring and, sigh of relief, I have the correct Touring struts. Perhaps the Prius factory ran short of the Touring struts and substituted on the assembly line. Wonder how they passed inspection.

CIAO

3. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Perhaps that is why some people either didn't notice the difference between the two versions or felt that even with the Touring edition they still needed the BT stiffener.

4. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for this information galaxee. Thankfully, after checking mine out, they are correct.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rear Strut Stripes: Touring Pink & Red / Standard Blue & Red

Pictures of the Touring Prius' rear strut with pink and red stripes can been seen in Post #19 of the following thread http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/47917-consumer-reports-drives-touring-edition-2.html (although because of flash, the stripes appear white and pink), and note that the Touring rear springs are marked with blue paint:

[imglink]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/9510d1212092242-consumer-reports-drives-touring-edition-img_0939.jpg[/imglink]

In comparison, here's a photo of my Standard Prius' rear strut with the [light] blue and red stripes, and note that the Standard Prius' rear springs are marked with green paint:

[​IMG]

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The original equipment rear shocks on my 2004 have a white stripe and a pink stripe. I replaced them at 30K miles because the right rear shock was leaking fluid; however after removing them I could not detect any difference in the effort required to compress the new vs. the used shocks. So I saved the original shocks and they are still sitting in my garage.

The replacement shocks (sourced from a Toyota dealer parts dept) have no painted stripes on them.

Note that the shock at the top of the photo (which is the leaky one) has a gold-colored metal clamp holding the shock together, while the shock at the bottom has a silver-colored clamp. I think that clamp takes on a golden color as the shock begins to leak.

Attached Files:

7. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, Galaxee, for the heads-up. I checked my TE and I'm in the pink and red! Thanks for looking out for us all and translating for DH.

Lee

8. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    gotta go and check mine tomorrow thanx for the heads up !!!

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From your picture, your 2004 rear shocks look like they have white and red (you say pink) stripes.

Now I'm thinking that the rear shocks of pre-2007 Standard Priuses (they were all Standard as the Touring came out in 2007) might have white and red stripes like your 2004.

So maybe the rear shocks striping scheme goes like this:

2004-2006 Prius: White & Red (or maybe [Light] Blue & Red) stripes.

2007-2008 Standard Prius: [Light] Blue & Red stripes.

2007-2008 Touring Prius: Pink & Red stripes.

10. Buckland

Buckland New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just checked, Pink and Red, bingo! Thanks Galaxee

11. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    More data points:
    Brand new 2008 Touring,
    Pink and Red stripes on struts,
    two blue stripes on rear springs
    one white stripe on rear sway bar.

12. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    mine are ok in my 2007.

13. DiscoCat

DiscoCat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I plan on lifting my Prius, is a Touring edition better when lifting or since I plan on lifting it, does the difference in struts matter to me?