1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring with package 6 is hard to find - Any help out there?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by emtownsend, May 22, 2007.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Priusfan, thanks for the clarification on the CA rules. Since I'd never bought a car out of state, I wasn't sure what was involved.

2. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Shall I start a new topic or can I just ask here:
    Anyone know how to setup a delivery for a Prius? I have found a couple that are a good 800 to 1000 miles away that I would prefer to have shipped to me if I could arrange that. I searched this site but come up with gobs of hits on "delivery" that are not related to having a car shipped... That is my last ditch effort before I have to surrender to ordering one and waiting two months. The dealerships don't appear to be excited when I ask about having it sent to the dealership...

3. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting. That is all they make here...Touring with 6 as I'd love a Touring with 5 but I guess they don't send them to California. The dealers keep telling me they are rare, but I keep seeing them in my search. I'm actually considering dropping to just the regular package 5 b/c I don't like their factory leather at all and I'd rather not be paying for it.

4. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I heard back from the Freeman Texas Toyota. They said it will cost me $1680 to have the car shipped to me! I think it is over inflated, but at this point, it tells me to get it myself or order...

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emtownsend @ May 24 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]449279[/snapback]</div>
    Shipping is expensive as someone has to pay for the truck, trailer, and driver. At some point in time 2007's will become scarce as the production line starts producing 2008 models. Maybe the line doesn't actually stop but the supply is not endless.

6. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 24 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]449303[/snapback]</div>
    Too true! Well, I am still on to see my local dealer after work today, so maybe I will have definitive answers tonight. I suppose the wait will not kill me either!

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emtownsend @ May 24 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]449321[/snapback]</div>
    Have you considered contacting a Reputable Auto Broker? Perhaps a credit union you work with has a relationship with one. I have worked with auto broker two times. First was Sleezy. Second was good.

They can search for the car without the BIAS that is involved when the dealer seaches. If the dealer says there are no cars in the Pacific Northwest, he may really mean there are not any at the two or three dealers that he likes to make dealer trades with.

In my case, with the second autobroker I dealt with, I wanted a 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE with Red Metalic Exterior and Gey Interior with Quad Seating. The Vancouver, WA dealer said, "None in the Pacific Northwest". So I called an auto broker in San Jose, CA, and he imediately said he thought he knew where one was. He called me back in 20 minutes and we made the arrangements to bring the Van up from Southern California to meet me in San Jose. It is a 12 hour drive, so to save the air fair, I used a one way Hertz rental car, and we visited family while we were in CA.

8. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

have you been able to find ANY color touring to drive? i thought, because of the hype on the various prius forums... that i wanted a touring model.... then i drove one.... i felt EVERY bump in the road.... ICK!

the ride on the touring is AWFUL! please drive one before you buy it! make sure you drive both the touring and NON right after each other... there IS a difference!

9. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had a tough time finding a 2007 Touring #6 in January. The local dealer I was working with said he checked a 200 mile radius and there were none. My wife called another dealer closer to the house and they had what I wanted on the lot (white w/tan). I rushed over there and got $2500 off.

When a dealer says they will do a search, they don't necessarily include ALL dealers in the given radius. When I asked the original dealer why they couldn't find the one my wife found, they said, "Oh, that dealer isn't in our network."

I would recommend that you simply email as many dealers as you can within a certain radius and ask if they have what you want. You can easily find dealers' emaikl addresses on the web.

10. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 24 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]449542[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. No, I have not been able to drive a Touring. I did drive the non-touring today and really liked it. I also noticed that the Touring uses 55 series tires as opposed to the 65 series on the non-touring. Just thinking they won't last as long and will be more expensive to replace. So, I am not sure at this point whether or not I want the Touring! There is supposedly one Touring on its way to my local dealership so I think there will have to be a contingency on my special order... (It's not like they couldn't sell it to someone else).

...ibmindless - I've been doing just that tonight! :) There are several dealerships that allow inventory searches, like in the San Diego area for example, and they do have LOTS of Prius' but almost none with package #6...

My local dealership is asking $27,350 for my special order Touring with Pkg #6. Not too horrible... Not awesome either, but under the circumstances, not bad...

Speaking of tires, my father in law mentioned the older models of Prius had problems with tire wear on the front tires. Is this an issue any more (or at all)?

11. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    This is far away but look what they say they have. Found this browsing yesterday. PS. Hope the attachment works.

Attached Files:

12. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK, found one in California that is Magnetic Gray with Touring package #6 for: "Internet price is 26550 ( this includes destination & handling charge ) plus fees". It should be to the dealership by Friday next week. I may actually take him up on this and fly down and drive back. We have relatives in the area. Southwest can take me there for $153.
    Now, to sell my Titan ASAP!

13. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ibmindless @ May 24 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]449603[/snapback]</div>
    I found that out! A salesperson who'd I'd felt pretty comfortable with as an honest person (snicker) told me there were NO package 5's or tourings in red closer than 280 miles. I found one of each about 50 miles away.

14. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tourings are a pain to find. I wanted a loaded touring in Austin. We have 3 Toyota dealers. One told me to order one or to come and *look* at one another customer ordered.

I got a package #3 (like you I wanted a #6 but in magnetic grey) with aftermarket leather in seaside pearl (my 3rd to last choice over the bronze and green) since that was the only touring they had on the lot (back in Dec.). I still haven't seen any tourings on the lots. Very few people have them I've noticed. Even most other Prius drivers seem to think I modded my wheels or something.

In less popular Pree area (read: NOT LA, San Fran, Portland, Austin, etc.), you can probably find them with ease. I think that dealer in Baton Rouge still has a package #5 Barcelona red with aftermarket leather seats added.

15. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I decided to get the non-Touring since it was easy to find in San Jose, CA. The Touring proved just too hard to find and too much of a wait.
    I have a Barcelona Red with Grey Leather, package #6 on hold for me in San Jose. My wife and I intend on flying there this week and driving back. I am getting it for steal. Turns out my wife's twin has a very close family friend that is a very high up Toyota man who is selling it to us.
    Getting ansy for the new rig! I plan on tinting the windows and getting a rear seat DVD installed if I can find one that is reasonable.