1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tow hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aminorjourney, Jan 30, 2007.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if

a) The Curt Tow hitch for the Prius is on sale outside the US (specifically the UK) and
    B) If they've ever had problems with Toyota voiding waranty because of a tow-hitch.

It looks to me as if the tow-hitch is completely reversable (meaning if there were any problems you'd just take it off and put the original towing eyes on)

We're looking into the tow hitches for our new Prius as our other car sometimes needs a bit of a tow on it's very own custom trailer in order to get to events without getting a flat battery! (It's a little electric towncar)

Nikki.

2. graham hendren

graham hendren Geeman .. taximan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have any joy with getting one?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was unable to get a tow bar from any manufacturer in the UK. However a long established trailer builder, and tow bar fitting company in the West Midlands made and fitted one for me. I strongly suspect that a Toyota Corolla bar or similar will fit. Taking measurements and comparing would confirm this.
    The US tow bar looks rather flimsy compared to UK versions of similar bars, only being fastened by the four hold down eye fixing bolts, and the box section not running completely across the rear, but they seem to be rated at 1 ton capacity and a 200 lb nose weight.
    I do not think Toyota would honor the guarantee with a bar fitted unless you explained it was for a cycle carrier.
    I find the Prius an adequate tow car not the best I have driven, but I am comparing with cars like the BMW 7 series. I am towing a 16 ft caravan linked below.

what have you TOWED with your prius?

John (Britprius)

#3 Britprius, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014