1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing... 4 to 7 pin w/brake controller for electric brakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jerlands, Apr 17, 2020.

1. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    speaking of coolant... when i replaced the inverter water pump i wasn't able to drain all the old coolant out. it seems it requires some kind of vacuum system to pull all of it out... any insight into that?...

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no vehicle built that you can drain, or vacuum, "all" the coolant out of.

The HSD cooling system lowest point is, from memory, the transaxle coolant drain. But be careful and make sure you get the correct plug, or you will be walking (Ubering??) to the parts house for some ATF ;)

If you refilled with premixed Toyota coolant, you did better than 99% of folks, so very well indeed.

3. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i had every drain possible open on that thing and only got a little over half out...

4. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you're only towing a max of 500lbs, don't worry about trailer brakes. I'm in a similar situation as you actually so I can speak well to this. My 05 tows a small harbor freight trailer and a 300lb motorcycle regularly. I've towed the motorcycle from GA>NY mountains and back. I'm doing another trip this summer with a different motorcycle to Denver, and anticipate towing the bike into the mountains a few times when I don't want to ride it in.

A month after towing the motorcycle to NY, my coolant inverter pump died. I replaced it myself and it's gone on 2 years now with no hiccups at all. I would have an extra inverter pump on hand and the tools to replace it if yours hasn't failed already. Unsure if my pump died due to the trailer, but it's a common failure point so it'd be handy to have one close by.

I've never experienced problems braking, but the car can struggle to run at highway speeds. On my 2,000 mile trip to NY, I ran up and down mountains at 80MPH. Probably going to keep it closer to 70MPH on average from hereon out with the fully loaded vehicle. It handled totally fine, but I think my engine wasn't so happy.

For my trip this summer I am going to replace/upgrade the struts & put in stronger springs in the rear to accommodate the trailer and the weight of a loaded car. Your new struts will probably be fine, but keep an eye and consider upgrading the rear springs. I hate dealing with trailer electronics so I had my towing equipment installed by U-Haul who didn't blink twice. The wiring equipment has help up fine and I've been happy with the experience. 187k miles and going strong.

5. jerlands

jerlands Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well... i've already replaced the struts and the inverter cooling pump so in that regard i'm somewhat prepared... the trailer i intend on building is probably going to be close to 400 lbs all by itself.. if i add as much as 500 lbs. of gear then i'm looking at a 900 lb. tow... good to hear though it has the potential to do it... i'm doing the injectors and coils tomorrow if the parts come so little by little i'm getting ready for a tow...