1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing a 2005 Prius (with complications)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SamOhio24, Apr 12, 2016.

1. SamOhio24

SamOhio24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am the owner of a 2005 Prius with roughly 150,000 miles on her. The past two days I noticed off electrical occurrences when I turned on my Prius... Not being able to shift into any gear, the triangle exclamation coming up, the check engine. I would turn off the car then turn it back on and had no problem, it would start and act normally with no warning lights on.

I knew I needed to have it checked out but never ended up going to Toyota. Then after driving to meet my girlfriend for lunch I came out to start my car and my Prius completely failed work properly. It had the same warning lights, but would refuse to even turn off when I hit the push to start. Eventually after about ten minutes of trying it turned off. Then my locks wouldn't even work, and I tried the car again only to see a check engine light. This light did not go away after turning off the car, turning on the car, the Prius stopped even responding to my fob.

I called AAA and let them know my situation, as well as specifying that my car is a Prius and needs to be jumped very specifically different from other vehicles. When AAA came and properly jumped my car, the screen came back on and then car dashboard light up like a Christmas tree. The screen said an error that I needed to move the car to a flat surface and put the car in park, but I was not able to shift the gears or anything. When the AAA worker removed the jump box I was not able to turn my car on at all, it did not respond and only gave the "check" signal on the dash. This check signal never went away with the car being tried to turn on or off. It stayed on and the park button began to flash.

Now I must tow my car from this business (to Toyota) but it won't jump, and won't shift into neutral to be pushed or moved. It is parked forward into a parking spot facing the building and can't be towed with the front wheels on the ground.

Can anyone help explain:
    1.) what might have happened to my car

And more importantly:

2.) how to move the car when it won't jump, can't be shifted into the neutral to unlock the wheels, and can't be towed by the back?

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your first set of symptoms may have indicated your regular 12 volt battery was failing. Electrical weirdness and warning lights that come and goe are often an indicator of that. This battery is in the rear of the car under the deck, and typically has a 5-6 year life span. (It is distinct from the larger hybrid battery).

The behavior after AAA tried to start the car is less clear and may require professional evaluation. If you have a voltmeter and can check the 12 volt battery, that would be a place to start. It does sound like electrical issues. An improper jump can mess up all sorts of things, but AAA should be responsible for having done that properly. Did they check your 12 volt battery? Shifting is an electrical event, rather than mechanical linkage, in the Prius.

As for moving the car, you could jack up the front wheels and get proper dollies under them to pull the car back from the building. AAA can't figure this out?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with above ^^^ it's possible the 12v is causing a problem and needs to be removed the circuit. perhaps try a new battery, since you need one anyway. can you be sure they didn't cross connect the jump?