1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing gen 3 on a dolly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by spudnut, Dec 20, 2019.

1. spudnut

spudnut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't see any issues at all, and a search here confirms the same. I have a boom truck to pick up about 800 miles away, and after checking the airline schedules and prices, adding on the hassles of air flight these days, I've decided it'd be less hassle to just drive the PIP and tow it back. Plus, I can take my dog! There is a slight possibility it will fit on the bed of the boom truck, we'll figure that out onsite, other wise it's the dolly. $174.00 is what the U haul site says, not worth building my own dolly for what is probably a one time use. I will check local, and maybe it will be cheaper to tow it down with the Prius, and then 2 days later return it to it's point of origin. I'd be using a magnetic light system, "one size fit's all."

2. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im a uhaul Dealer at my shop.
    I’ve towed on uhaul tow Dolly’s all versions of Prius vehicles. Gen2, Gen3, Prius V, Prius C

when you get the uhaul or
    If you are making the reservation (highly recommended) because depending on where you are uhaul does not
    Have enuff tow Dolly’s and shit.
    Anyways. Reserve/Rent the “WIDE” version of the tow dolly. The dolly serial number will be something to the effect of “TD 1234 W”
    The suffix on the end with a “W” is the wide units. Trust me it helps. For unloading and loading as well as for when taking turns etc.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming you put the FRONT wheels on the dolly, no problem. Otherwise, you leave long skid marks and wear out the front tires and wheels. :D

dig4dirt and vlxerdon like this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pack a spool of wire and a mini electric repair kit (tape, crimps, meter etc) so you're ready to deal with inop/intermittent lighting on the trailer or within the boom truck's 4-pin interface.

Otherwise sounds fine. Good luck!

Ed Beaty likes this.
  5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is there any chance the traction battery would over-charge while the car is being towed on a dolly? Toyota says tow on a flat-bed.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    None.

If you tow a front-wheel-drive car with the front wheels supported by the dolly, the car is officially a trailer in the mechanical sense. Zero mechanical force is being transferred into the towed car's powertrain.

A rear- or all-wheel-drive vehicle will have problems* with a dolly tow unless special measures are employed.

* The problem isn't ever likely to be an over-charged battery, but there's still plenty of expensive problems to pick from that menu.

#6 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Absolutely no chance. Charging comes from rotating the front wheels while decelerating and in ready mode and not in neutral. The car would not meet any of those conditions, much less meet all of them.

8. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    pretty sure u not supposed to tow any vehicle backward on a tow dolly.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me too. (From U-Haul's website: "When towing a RWD vehicle on a tow dolly, you must disconnect the driveshaft, please refer to your owner’s manual prior to loading and towing a vehicle.")

That's why I assumed the front wheels would be on the dolly.