1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing my Prius v station wagon

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by MartinX, Jun 14, 2019.

1. MartinX

MartinX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I got into an accident on my Prius v wagon. One of the rear tires got busted. The car was not drivable. The tow truck driver towed it from behind. That is, rear wheel raised and only the 2 front wheels touching the ground. The engine was ON while being towed. I think the tow truck driver set the transmission to Neutral.

Are there any concerns towing from the back?

Thank you.

2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    With the car 'on' and in Neutral there should be no problem for a short time, but if left that way for a long time there's the risk of running the hybrid battery down below a safe level because there's no way for the engine to charge the battery if the car is in 'N'. Ideally you'd tow with the front wheels raised and the car off, but with a rear tire problem that wouldn't be possible.

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This isn't preferred. Doing this spins the drivetrain components, in particular in the reverse direction. Toyota recommends that the vehicle be towed either on a flatbed, with the rear wheels on the ground and front on the tow truck, or front wheels on dollies with the rear on the tow truck. For a very short distance or low speeds, this is unlikely to cause any problems. Sometimes a towing service will have to hook the car and move it to get it into a position where they can either put in on a flatbed or get dollies under the front wheels.

upload_2019-6-14_9-44-16.jpeg

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Or the aforementioned flatbed tow.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    He's doing engine-on in neutral because in most other cars, that allows the engine to spin the transmission oil pump, which protects the transaxle bearings. He may not have known about the risk of a discharged HV battery while operating in neutral, which is very specific to the Prius.

Air_Boss likes this.
  6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Amazing. Most tow truck operators produce a manual telling with vehicle specificity how each vehicle is to be towed. I know I've read the AAA manual and even carried a copy in my glove box for another make car.