1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

towing prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by bobalou c, Apr 5, 2013.

1. bobalou c

bobalou c New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    have 2013 prius c and intending to put it on a dolly behind rv. the question i have is the power has to be on accessories for the sterring wheel to be unlocked. concerned about draining the 12 volt battery. please help? what to do?

2. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Why do you need the steering unlocked if the car is on a dolly?
    X

3. bobalou c

bobalou c New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    looking at acme tow dolly, an manual as i understood it, called for it to be unlocked? only thing is that the only way to do that is put it on accessary . but it has smart key and after 20 minutes the power will go off.then i don't know what will happen.

4. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    But on a tow dolly, you put the Driven wheels on the dolly. On a Prius the Driven wheels are the front wheels which also steer the car. So if the front, steering wheels are permanently tied down on the dolly, there is no way they can or need to turn. Just leave the ign off.
    X

5. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have been thinking about this since your post. I too plan to put our C on a tow dolly behind our coach. I have noticed that the window will roll up after the key is off. You have one shot. I plan to leave key on, get out with window down, reach in and turn off the car, then roll window up as far as I can and snatch my arm out before the window gets it. I will keep my insurance paid in case I get my arm caught. If it rains, that might be a problem. One could remote the driver's window. I am also thinking about that.
    Dan

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would recommend having someone sit in the car and try it out for a block or two just to make sure that the car doesn't shutdown on it's own. I'm guessing your dolly doesn't keep the front wheels off the ground.

7. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Some dollies want the front wheels on the car to turn when turning the coach. Gives the effect of having it towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. Not all dollies are set up this way but the better ones are.
    Dan