1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TOWING PRIUS in back of R/V?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Fisher, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Robert Fisher

Robert Fisher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone rigged their Prius as a "tow behind" with an R/V. Can this Prius be towed long distances at 55 - 65 mph and not suffer any malfunctions?

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Mar 17 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]407580[/snapback]</div>
    In looking in the owner's manual, I get the impression that you shouldn't tow it any distance without using a dolly of some kind. In fact they do indicate only to use the eyebolt and cable only in an emergency situation. Otherwise, it must be done by a Toyota dealer or professional towing company. I suspect with the proper towing equipment you could do it behind an R/V. However, I'd have a professional check out your setup.

I suppose if you trusted the agency that rented you the dolly, you could consider them "professional".

Dave M.

3. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I seem to recall something about the dealer saying there would be major damage to the car if towed with the front wheels on the ground. There's some hardware in the back compartment just for the special towing requirements.

Someone else can probably give you better detail.

4. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am interested also. I tow a 4X4, 4 wheels down now, but would really like to tow the prius. The only problem is you must use a dolly. Can the prius be towed with the front wheels up on a dolly or must it be towed with all wheels up on a trailer?

5. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Mar 17 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]407580[/snapback]</div>
    The owner's manual does not "indicate" but rather is quite clear: it must be towed with, at the very least, the front wheels off the ground.

They show three scenarios: a wheel lift truck towing it from the front, with the rear wheels on the ground; a wheel lift truck towing it from the rear, with the front wheels on dollies; and a flatbed truck.

The manual is further clear that towing it from the front with all four wheels on the ground is an emergency-only operation to be done only on hard-surfaced roads for a short distance at low speeds, with the drivetrain, wheels, axles, steering, and brakes all in good condition. Further, they specify that a driver must bein the vehicle to steer it and operate the brakes.

Towing from the rear with four wheels on the ground should never be done; it may cause serious damage to the transaxle.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Front wheels up would be appropriate. One Prius was offered on ebay, having been towed long miles behind an RV wheels down. I was not able to find out if it was still entirely healthy.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Mar 17 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]407580[/snapback]</div>
    A search reveals this thread about towing. Someone with experience towing a Prius.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=27941&hl=

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As to why you shouldn't tow the car wheels down:

1. It's difficult to leave the car ('04+) in neutral and still turn the car off - risk of 12v battery drain.
    2. Towing wheels down above 42mph could exceed the maximum speed for MG1 (generator/starter motor). Under normal operation, your engine will spin up at a rate that keeps MG1 below 10,000 RPM (6500 RPM in '01-'03), however if the car isn't "powered on", there's no drive-train management to take care of this.