1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing the Prius behind an RV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by compwolf, Jun 20, 2006.

1. compwolf

compwolf Junior Member

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience towing a Prius behind an RV. I was planning on using a half dolly, lifting the front tires off the ground. Of course Toyota recommends using a full trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground. There doesn't seem to be a reason to require all 4 wheels off the ground since the rear tires appear to be free moving even in park (with the emergency break off). Any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Lee

PS ... thanks for the info on disabling the back up beep ... it was driving me mad.

2. bbielek

bbielek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CompWolf @ Jun 20 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]274048[/snapback]</div>
    Took ours on a 600 mile journey a couple of weeks ago. Towed on a dolly (front wheels up) with no problems whatever. We had been towing my wife's Highlander and the Prius is noticeably lighter. Interesting combination, a 50 mpg towed behind an 11 mpg (bio-diesel fueled) motorhome.

3. compwolf

compwolf Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob47 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]274116[/snapback]</div>
    LOL ... yeah ... it does seem strange :lol:

4. bbielek

bbielek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CompWolf @ Jun 20 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]274120[/snapback]</div>
    One point to remember - EMERGENCY BRAKE OFF! This is a lesson I learned the hard way in the Highlander (cost me two new tires). When loading the dolly, drive forward until the ramps snap horizontal (you will hear it). Simply place in park but do not engage the parking brake. Then fasten and tighten the straps over the wheels. This last step will move the front wheels as far forward on the dolly as is possible. Then hook on your safety chains. When unloading, simply reverse the procedure. Make sure you unhook the safety chains first. If you release the straps first the car can roll back slightly and put so much pressure on the chain that you will not be able to release it. After some practice I can do it myself in less than 5 minutes. Also, remember to check to make sure the straps are tight after about 50 to 100 miles. For some reason if they are going to loosen up, they do so early on.

1 person likes this.
  5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought the prius should only be towed on a flat-bed?

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob47 @ Jun 20 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]274116[/snapback]</div>
    Is this considered to be a split personality?

7. bbielek

bbielek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jun 20 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]274124[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have the manual in front of me but I did check and it indicates that it can be towed with the front wheels off the ground, which is the same thing as towing using a dolly. If towing by lifting the rear wheels off the ground then the front wheels need to be on a dolly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 20 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]274131[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessarily, although the humor is noted and appreciated. Keep in mind that the motorhome draws much less electricity than a typical hotel room when hooked to commercial power, and when dry camping either uses battery power or (in our case) a propane generator. The motorhome is also equipped to charge the batteries using solar for extended dry camping and is fairly efficient. At 25,000 pounds, however, it does take some energy to move. I only wish bio diesel was available on a wider basis so that I could run on it 100% of the time.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are only 3 issues known to me: Make sure the front tires are well-secured to the axle dolly (obvious). Be alert to rear end (Prius) dragging on uneven surfaces since it is angled to the road. After a few miles, pull over and feel the rear brake drums. If they are not above ambient, your rear brake shoes are not dragging.

Hope you have 'mudflaps' behind your RV rear tires, so as not to fling too much road debris at the Prius.

9. bbielek

bbielek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 20 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]274193[/snapback]</div>
    All good points. The Demco dolly that I use doesn't raise the front so much that dragging the rear is a significant problem - at least it hasn't been. The straps and safety chain do firmly hold both front wheels, but as I said you need to check after 50 - 100 miles to make sure nothing has loosened up. Finally, although I have a full width mud flap on the motorhome, the slightly raised front end on the dolly seems to protect the front of the car. We towed the Highlander for more than 11,000 miles, and now the Prius for 600, and have never had a scratch. In the case of a diesel motorhome; however, you will end up with a film on the car from the diesel exhaust. It washes off easily.

10. compwolf

compwolf Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob47 @ Jun 21 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]274574[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I'll check into the Demco dolly since you've had a good experience with it. My RV has a full mud flap so baring me forgetting to check the straps, hitch and chains and making sure the parking brake is off ... I should be golden.

11. priussafta

priussafta New Member

As a result of my Prius being towed, I am planning to photocopy the pages on towing in the Prius manual so I can leave it on the seat when parked in high towing risk areas.

I parked on a street in Cambridge, MA, with a sign that said "street cleaning every third Wednesday." It was a Thursday. When I returned to my car, it was gone. After forking up $15 for a taxi and $75 for the towing, I started up my car. Every light on the dashboard lit up. I called my local Toyota dealer and was told not to drive it because something could be wrong, and they gave me the number of an approved towing service.

During the 1-1/2 hours that I was stuck in the filthy "office" in the middle of a muddy oil slick, I read the manual on towing. I showed the guys in the office the diagrams of the right and wrong ways to tow a Prius and asked which method would have been used. "Front towing," they all agreed was the method the person who did the towing used. (He was gone for the day and couldn't be asked.)

I suggested they might want to photocopy the pages and educate their drivers so future Prius owners wouldn't have to go through what I was experiencing. They admitted they had never towed a Prius before, were eager to see all the lights on the dashboard, and seemed interesting in learning to avoid future problems. (I had already told them I'd be making a claim to compensate me for all the expenses I'd be incurring.) I asked how they got the emergency brake off, and was told the driver would have slipped a device into the window slot to unlock the car. Great!

When I picked up my car after the dealer ran a diagnostic check (another $80), I was told the computer history showed that the car had been towed from the rear, without the benefit of the recommended dolly, which is why things went awry. So much for the story from the towing company. I was lucky that resetting the computer seemed to be all that was needed, though was told that problems sometimes develop after driving another 40 or so miles. So far, so good.

I phoned the Cambridge police department to see if I could talk to the officer who authorized the towing, to ask if he remembered the towing method used. The dispatcher knew the tow truck driver, and said with assurance that he always tows from the front. When I told him the computer indicated otherwise, he called the police officer and returned to tell me that the car had, indeed, been towed from the rear. He, too, was interested in hearing about the right and wrong towing methods for a Prius, and said he would educate his officers.

The computer doesn't lie. And a little education just might save us from a lot of inconvenience and trouble.

12. Johnnyrw

Johnnyrw New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is Johnny and I want to tow my Prius on dolly also, I did for 4 miles and several lights came on the dash, my wife took the car to Toyota and they are replacing a steering sensor. Evidently I was suppose to leave the steering locked. What have you found out, I appreciate your help. Tks