1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Gstatus64, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Gstatus64

Gstatus64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey there, I know that the prius isn't designed to tow anything big, so here's the question I have.

Can I tow a light aluminum trailer that will carry lawn mowing equipment? That includes a light lawn mower, trimmer/weed eater, some bags for the grass clippings, and maybe a gallon of gas. The distance I'll be driving with the trailer is maybe a maximum of 5 miles, and it's all fairly flat landscaping/roads.

I thought I could mow lawns on the side of driving for Uber, and thought I'd ask here for advice.

If there is another thread out there with information to this, please post it so I can save people's time.

Thanks for your time in viewing and maybe replying! Stay safe out there!

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i use mine for doing the same as you want too.. everything weighs in under 800 pounds and i have not noticed a difference except the mpg drops when towing.. i go from 48 to 41.. has to do with wind drag i guess

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. Welcome to Prius Chat. In USA the Prius isn't specified for towing at all, but if you did you would probably be invalidating the terms of your insurance. That's only likely to impact if you were in an accident while towing of course. I can remember reading plenty of threads with discussions on the subject of towing, but can't find them right now, but here's one you could think about.... Prius as a Tow Car | PriusChat
    Good luck.

Mendel Leisk and WilDavis like this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can and it won't invalidate you insurance policy...State Farm at least. Involved in a "no fault" with another vehicle while pulling a 5x9 U-Haul open with ramp...covered.

5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did they put that in writing for you?

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #6 frodoz737, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I accept that they paid you, but we're they aware you were towing using a vehicle not approved by the manufacturer for towinga trailer? Seems to me that you were the lucky exception to the invalid claim rule (?) rather than the general example in such cases.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They were made 100% aware on the initial and the later recorded "official" statement...including photos and receipts. I suggest there is a difference between what Toyota's "recommends" and vehicle code laws here as it relates to Class I & II towing specifically.

RCO likes this.