1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyo Nanoenergy blowout

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusgto, Oct 25, 2017.

1. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was last Friday. It went while on vacation traveling through South Dakota, at about the two thousand mile point of our four thousand mile trip. I had noticed they were getting noisier over the last five thousand miles or so and this one started an annoying wa-wa-wa about 200 miles before it blew. This is the reason I will always have a spare and not that worthless plug kit. Thankfully the sidewalls kept the wheel from getting damaged.

[​IMG]

2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks rather weird. Never seen a tyre come apart like that - and so neatly. A manufacturing fault?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    WOW!

And thankful you and the car weren't damaged either (crash).

Yet another example of why I carry a spare on long out of town trips which is otherwise left in the garage under daily use.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not quite a run-on-flat, but slightly better than some. Did it canhave the rims?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on them? how fast were you going? seems there have been more complaints than normal about these tires.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Please be sure to report this incident to NHTSA. That won’t do anything for you, directly, but yours is not the first complaint about the tires, and if NHTSA receives enough similar complaints, they may open an investigation, which could eventually lead to a recall.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Though this case was giving some warning for 5000 miles, and a stronger warning for 200 miles. So it seems that some inspection or operator intervention was called for, before this blowout.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Donut spare or full-size? If donut spare how far did you have to drive on it to get to a town where you could replace the tire? South Dakota of course has lots of wide open spaces.

RCO likes this.
  9. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was on the right rear thankfully. I'm going to get some Michelins next week then look for a spare wheel so I have a full size to take from now on.

About 23k miles on the ODO at the time. Cruise was set at 75.

Stopped to get gas in Chamberlain and did check the tires as I always do and also ran my hand around the treads to see if I could find one causing the increased noise. Nothing abnormal at that time.

It was the donut. Had to limp 35 miles into Rapid City.

RCO and bisco like this.
  10. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite lucky you were that close to a large city where you could purchase a tire, which is why I asked. Myself and others have been making a case for carrying a full-size spare on long trips, something which many people won't consider, which I can understand. For one or two people it's feasible, for a family of four and a dog maybe not. Coincidentally I posted a message yesterday on this very topic, someone was in a quandary choosing their next Toyota because not all models come with spares. I pointed out that donut spares have limitations on long trips and suggested to at least consider a full size spare, which may also help in their decision on their car purchase if they can take the donut out of the equation. In town you can leave the spare at home because if you have a flat in town, most likely you have a way to get the spare to where your car is (spouse, friend, Uber)

Prius/Camry quandary | PriusChat

RCO likes this.
  11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is what happens to tires that are driven on when flat. I suspect the wa-wa-wa sound was you hitting something.

They do a really good job with tires and stability control on cars these days. Even non run flats. They can feel like there is nothing wrong with the car except a small tug in the direction of the flat that could be ignored as wind. In the past the blow out would be an immediate loss of control of the vehicle.

12. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I plan on having a full size spare before our next long trip out of town along with a new set of Michelins.

Quite possible the tire could have hit something that cut it but it didn't lose air until just before it blew as the low pressure light wasn't on

RCO and mmmodem like this.