1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyo Proxes A20 (215/45 17)-- where can I buy them?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bagwell, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MBVistaCA

MBVistaCA New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know this is a late post, but maybe it will be useful to someone. I recently purchased the Prius 5 17" wheels. I went with the Michellin Primacy MXM4 tires, because they were advertized as LRR tires. I like the tires, but lost about 6 MPG with the same driving style. That equates to about $600 in added fuel costs over the life of hte tire. I have been trying to find information on what type of mileage people are getting on their Prius 5's with original tires. Please post with your mileage. I have been told too many contradicting bits of info re: LRR v. tire weight. The 2010 OEM tires were the Bridgestone Turanza's at a weight of 22 lbs, not LRR rubber. I was going to switch to the Ecopia 422, but these are 25 lbs ea v. the 21 lbs of the Primacy's. Adding weight to the outer part of the wheel will take more energy to accelerate. I'm not sure if it will be offset with LRR rubber. I went to a dealer and found the Toyo Proxes A20 on the 2012 Prius V and a Prius 5. I saw the Primacy MXM4's on a Prius Plus. I decided to increase pressure from 40 to 50 psi since the max psi is 51. I gained some milage back, but I still might switch to the Toyo's.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles do you have on them? It takes a few thousand miles to break in and worn tires have lower rolling resistance than New tires even of the same model. If you purchased a new set of Oe tires you may still lose a few mpg until they reach the same wear as your old ones. :)

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also keep in mind the Oe tires were about $50 more each, don't last as long or perform as well. That's the problem with Oe tires.