1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyo Proxes A20 P215/45R17 87V tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dillona, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Dillona

Dillona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2010 Prius 5 was equipped with these tires when new and they now have approximately 29,000 miles on them. I have been very satisfied with their performance. My car does have more road noise than I prefer but that is probably attributable to the low profile design of these tires.

A few weeks ago, however, my low tire pressure indicator activated and I found that the left rear was low on air. I examined it carefully and initially found a perforation in the tread but a water test was negative. Further inspection discovered an open crack in the sidewall from which air was escaping. I proceeded straight to the dealer (15 miles or so) and stopped twice to add air. Finally the tire developed severe sidewall failure on both sides of the tire. I mounted the spare and proceeded to the dealer who decided the damage was due to a "road hazard" that was not covered by warranty even though there was no evidence that I had encountered a road hazard other than the one puncture which they did not examine to see if it fully penetrated . I received a quote of $290 plus $20 for mounting for a replacement tire that they had to order.

In the meantime, I attempted to locate a tire through other sources with negative results but I did run across several reports of sidewall failures of Toyo tires. I then contacted Toyo Tires Consumer Relations (800/442-8696) and was advised that this tire (not listed on their web site) was specifically made for Toyota and that they could not provide a MSRP as Toyota dealers were free to charge whatever they wanted. After a brief and cordial conversation, the rep offered a 25% discount off the cost of a replacement tire which was subsequently coordinated with my Toyota dealer.

If I had needed more than one tire, I would have switched to Michelins. At this point, I plan to appeal the decision of the dealer's service writer and service manager to the owner in an attempt to obtain an additional adjustment. Just thought that if any of you find yourself in a similar situation, you should at least be able to get some relief from Toyo as I did.

2. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    If you have 30,000 miles on these tires I think I would go with a new set of 4 for the money! 300 bucks a pop sounds a little pricey, These can't be a 40,000 mile tire! I might give Michelins a try. Good luck!

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds about like my first experience (of two) with the Proxes, dealer pricing, and all you mentioned. My first "road hazzard" dead tire only had 2,000 miles on it. I was unable to get a discount like you did, so good for you on that. Please update this thread if you manage another adjustment in the price.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For that price you could almost get 2 new Primacy MXM4s. :) At the original lower price anyway.

5. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    it's funny that toyota puts this tire on the 2012 prius v five wagon. and it isn't on toyo's web site. also i'm dealing w/toyota dealer on a 2012 prius v 5, but told him i wanted to swap the tires for michelins primacy mxv4 grand touring all season 91H. he said he wouldn't recommend it. personally i don't care what he recommends, with my money.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with F8L but I would suggest buying 4 Primacy MXM4 tires from Tire Rack or Costco. I wore my Proxis A20 tires down to 3/32 in 42K miles. If your tires wear about the same as mine you don't have to many more miles on them anyway.

Michelin Primacy MXM4

1 person likes this.
  7. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got the Primacy MXM4s from costco in August. Total for 4 tires installed was $570. I believe price has since gone up but I would highly recommend these tires. I had the dunlops and these are far superior. Quieter and phenomenal in the rain, with little or no penalty in mileage. I just wish I had done it 2 years ago when new (oh yea they hadn't come out yet). Highly, Highly recommended.

PS- Make sure it's the MXM4 and not the MXV4!
    you can read a great test review of these on tirerack.com

1 person likes this.
  8. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My V came with the Toyos, which I always thought were noisy. I had thought about replacing them but was unsure how much quieter a different tire would be. Two weeks ago, based on F8L's favorable reivew, I had the Michelin MXM4 P215/45R17 tires installed at Costo. Wow! They are significantly quieter. I am very pleased and wish I had done it earlier. The Toyos were very sensitive to rough surfaces. Now everything is muted. I can't tell much difference in ride quality but thought the Toyos were okay in that regard. I averaged a little under 50 mpg (calculated) with the Toyos. I filled up at Costco when I got the new Michelins and in about 350 miles I've averaged 50.8 mpg (calculated), so I'm not expecting a hit from the much quieter ride on the Michelins.

A big thanks to Justin for his review of the MXM4 and his research on tire info for the rest of us!

1 person likes this.
  9. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    wow 300/tire is wayyy too much. I had 60k on my A20 tires (original!) and replaced them with the Primacy MXM4 as well. Got them for around 120/tire + shipping (total ~500); seems like the price is higher now though. If you get them be sure to get the V-rated tires for the longer warranty (W is overkill for the Prius).

These new tires are definitely quieter than the A20. MPG seems to be the same for me for now, I'll have to drive it longer before I can get a definite answer.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Lee.

I'm actually kind of embarrassed now. :)

11. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EXACT same thing happened to me 3 months ago , but on the 15 inch Toyo's. Also not covered and had to pay full price. Wish I would have called like yourself.

My car was a 2011 Pruis II with 3,500 miles on at the time.

12. Dillona

Dillona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At the request of DavidA, following is an update:

After contacting the service manager and the owner of the dealership several times, they have finally agreed to reimburse me for all charges incurred for the tire.

Due to my safety concerns based on my experience and that of others who also experienced sidewall failures, I requested that they replace all of my tires with another brand, preferably Michelin MXM4's which they refused. My dealer offers free tires (at 3/32" tread depth) for customers like myself who have used them for all factory recommended service and my tires are down to 5/32. Can't wait to see what they offer when the time comes but I won't be accepting Toyos.

For any of you experiencing this type of problem, be sure to make a timely report with all identifying data regarding the tire to NHTSA.

1 person likes this.
  13. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the update.

14. Gbstuart

Gbstuart New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same problem with Toyo proxies a20 pn a Prius V. Blew a sidewall and replaced the tire not knowing any better. Now a crack in the sidewall of a second tire has appeared. Toyo customer service was horrible. People must complain to the dealer so they stop using this brand.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man this is terrible. :(

What do the dealers say about replacing them with a LRR equivalent like the MXM4 (OEM for the ct200H) or possibly the new BlueEarth tire (OEM for the Prius v)?

16. Pauls Prius

Pauls Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine just went flat at 5600 miles. Called TOYO and they said when I take it in and the dealer says it not under warranty that they will call toyo tires and they will replace one time free.

I will let you know what happens

17. Pauls Prius

Pauls Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just picked up my tire and was replaced for freeeeeee! they did not charge me a dime. At first they said about 30 bucks for mounting then when I picked it up no charge. got home and noticed a ting ding in my perfect 17 in rims:mad: oh well what am I going to do.

18. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Catastrophic Tire Failure after 300 Mile Drive. Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Toyo Proxy A20, 215/45/17, 2012 Prius 3G/ATP, 17,500 miles since new, total 360 degree outboard sidewall failure at left-front position w/ zero warning at 70 mph, running 33 psi. Car performed flawless during rapid controlled stop; stayed straight as an arrow.

Mounted space saver spare (inflated to 42 psi) and drove to local dealership. Dealer requested that I go to the local TOYO Tire Shop “since they are more experienced at doing warranty tire replacements, and because we don’t have that tire, anyway”.

Toyo Tire Shop informed me that the Proxy A20 was OEM Toyota only; none in stock at any TOYO dealer.

Back to Toyota dealership at 1pm, Tuesday, 9/4/12. Parts department took it upon themselves to locate a replacement tire in Houston, Texas, and is having it FLOWN via airfreight for delivery and installation on my car in Tulsa today, 9/5/12, at 10am.

I’m not yet sure how all the details will work out, but I certainly couldn’t ask for any better service in this regard. I’ll keep y’all posted on the final outcome, and I will be writing accolades and praises to and for this Toyota dealership.

MrBill

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow! I'm feeling rather fortunate to have ridden in safety on my OEM Toyos. I'm planning on a replacement this Fall, now that I'm at nearly 59,000 miles.

Just wondering: What pressure have people been running on with the Toyos? I've run mine in the mid- to upper-40s consistently.

20. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like you had a blow out at highway speed. Was there any rim damage? Any pictures?

I am at 4,000 with my Toyos and I am worried.

Markku Utriainen likes this.