1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyo Proxes A20 P215/45R17 87V tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dillona, Nov 15, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See how number of plies could be misleading? :)

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yep. Still pondering why the Toyos have a reputation of blowing out. Maybe they used tofu based rubber. :D

That said, I am generally happy with the FE, grip, and handling of these tires. Not happy with noise and ride, and obviously blowouts. My current disposition is to ride them with high pressures to help the sidewall, use better roads for my daily commute, and ride them as long as I can before replacement. Hopefully nothing bad happens.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Having driven 60,000 miles on the Toyos, through three winters of driving Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa & Indiana, I can tell you I'm very glad for the good mileage granted by these tires, but absolutely thrilled not to be facing another winter on them. Also, as much as you may be satisfied with the handling, your world will change if you put almost any other tire on the car. My new Michelin Primacy MXM4s are scary-good at grip and control. I was so used to drift on the Toyos that I about flipped the car when cornering on the Michelins. It is like the car is on a rail.

I've lost fuel economy, no doubt. I'm still trying to measure it and compare to the Toyos, but it is clear I am looking at a 3-5 MPG loss, at a minimum. Some of it may be related to the newness of the tires, and the cooling weather is dropping fuel economy, but even looking at my fuel economy the past three fall seasons, the drop I am experiencing now is significant.

I'll report more once I've had 2,000 miles on the tires. Still, I would not go back to the Toyos. I'd like something with better MPGs, but I much prefer the quieter cabin and the surer feel of the Michelins, even if I drop below a 50 MPG lifetime average.

F8L likes this.
  4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What PSI are you running now?

The Toyos cost $215 each on Tire rack, so I will never go back to them.

My last car, a Japn built Camry SE, came with Toyo Proxes something, in 215/60R16 size. Grip, handling, and comfort were good with those, but they were bald at 20K. Replaced them with Michelin Destiny from Discount tires and immediately felt the grip reduced. Did not know about the FE, this was 2003, I was young and less caring, and gas was $1.50 a gallon.

Good to know the Michelin Primacy MXM4 offers better performance all around, sans FE that is.

5. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm running the Primacy MXM4s at 44/42. I may bump them up a bit, but I thought I'd run them at that pressure for a bit. They were great in the mid 30s, but I thought fuel economy may be better at a higher pressure. I don't know the answer yet, but I do know they are great in heavy rains at the higher pressure, and the handling is superb.
    Don't forget these tires are LRR. I think they just don't compare to the Toyos on that score. My guess is these MXM4s are going to be better at FE than any other non-LRR 215/45 tire.

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Don't get me wrong, I think a little FE penalty for additional margin of safety is worth it. It is a Prius after all. A few MPG of delta does not translate to a whole lot of $.

If I have a blow out, or lose grip and hit something, that $500 deductible would pay for a lot of gas. That's assuming I get lucky and no one gets hurt.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear someone else found the MXM4's grip like the car is on rails. I have yet to get any understeer or oversteer on mine and I have taken some pretty fast 90 degree turns :)

Mike

8. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry to say I've forgotten: Did you put 17" wheels on?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius Performance Plus package comes with the MXM4 instead of the A20s.

WE0H likes this.
  10. socal13

socal13 livin in the foothills...

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    After reading this thread, I am very nervous about the Toyo's that came on the 2013 Persona... I am definitely going to up the pressure above the recommended 33/32.

11. socal13

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Any new recommendations for tire inflation for the Toyo 17 inchers?

12. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am running 39F/38R. Seems to be a good compromise. I have done 44/43 but backed it down due to ride too harsh and too much rattle.

Sfcyclist and F8L like this.
  13. socal13

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Due to my bad track record for keeping tires properly inflated and buying way to many tires on previous cars, I went and bought a small 3 gal. air compressor on sale at Harbor Freight this morning. My other car (2001 Avalon parked in the driveway) had two woefully underinflated tires... No more going to the gas station with all the accompanying hassels/problems (asking the attendant to turn on the compressor multiple times, bad seal on inflator, driving over a mile and therefore not getting a good "cold" pressure read).

14. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I check mine weekly and use a bicycle pump to top off as needed. No need for the big gun if you do not let them drift off too far.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ There's a lot of variation between stations. Up here Chevron is the only brand I've found that still offers free air, and it's uncomplicated, easy to use. If you can find a station with decent and easy access air within a few kilometers/miles you're set.

The issue of tire warm-up is not that big. I'll check pressures before start up, then at the station 2-3 kilometers distant: there's no change in such a short drive. And if there is a change, just compensate by adding a pound or two more.

Like Jonny, I also keep a bike pump in the garage. The brand I have is pretty efficient, but I wouldn't recommend it: it's a royal pain to attach. It does have a dial gauge built-in, which is handy.

Still, for the most part I just raise pressures at the gas station.

16. socal13

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    In California, it's against the law to charge for air... With my small compressor and a good digital pressure gage, I hope to keep these tires in good shape for a long time. 39/38 psi in the Toyos now.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Talking of regulations, in my particular "city" self-service stations are banned. We've lived here over 20 years, and maybe twice in that time filled up here. I abhor self service. A couple of kilometers east or west self serve is ok. Gotta get out of here, LOL.

18. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It is against the law to wipe your butt with more than 3 squares of toilet paper, in the people's republic of california. True story! :)

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Austin is a California city trapped in a backwards state. :p

20. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You speak the truth. Most people in Austin do not have a Texas accent either. Go figure.