1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota 0W-20 Motor Oil Not Available

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Rickinohio, Feb 1, 2023.

1. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you have a disreputable "Toyota Dealer." The one here insists they use genuine Toyota 0W-20---which is made by Exxon-Mobil, but to Toyota's recipe, not the same stuff as any Mobil-branded oil.
    Toyota uses other suppliers in other countries.

Foxglove and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most oil comes from a company called warren then gets sold to other oil companies and they add additives then brand it their oil. Costco has a pair of 5 qaurt 0 20 of Kirk land for $31. Going there this weekend to pick up the 5 20 though

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We have that stuff delivered, for free. Which is very convenient. CDN price is steeper though.

4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they told me that, I'd say, "Show me the oil drum" and watch them quickly back-peddle on their lie! The only place my Toyota dealer has Toyota Motor oil is in the parts department and I've asked them if the service department ever comes and gets some and they replied, "Never, they have their own oil they get in drums and it's never Toyota oil." They didn't even think Toyota oil was sold in drums.

Grit likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's one dealership, one experience.

I'm pretty sure there is bulk toyota oil. That's what I purchased for 5~6 years (till price went through the roof, and they refused to sell it to me, too expensive anyway). The bulk oil appearance was identical to bottled (FWIW), and the invoices I have say it's toyota oil.

You can be overly sceptical...

I REALLY wish there was a way to buy quality bulk oil, some sort of bring-your-own-bottle set-up. The downside of DIY oil changes is the mountain of oil-comtam'd bottles.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not exactly! There are two separate companies that sell oil and have "Warren" as part of their full name, which confuses people. Both Warrens and several other outfits are oil "blenders," meaning they buy base oils from major oil companies, buy additives from additive manufacturers, mix those ingredients to make engine oil (typically according to recipes developed and recommended by the additive companies), bottle it, and sell it to retailers like Costco, for example.

7. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol....yes I think I have been overly salty about dealerships lately! I don't know if I mentioned it in here but my co-worker has a Ford Fusion Hybrid (2018) and it's been making loud rattling noises. He took it to the Ford dealer and they said his three transmission mounts are bad and needs them all replace...$2,000. I gave him my local maintenance guys number (a retired BMW master mechanic) and he looked at it...said the tranny mounts were fine but a few had lose bolts and he found some suspension bolts were, also, lose so tightened them up for him....most of the rattling is gone. (Not all, but, hey, it's a Ford!) Looks like someone at the factory decided to skip torqueing bolts that day!