1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota 1 Year Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mkferrie, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Mkferrie

Mkferrie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We are thinking of purchasing a battery straight from Toyota for our Prius that has been having issues with the refurbished ones we've used. I am waiting on an answer from them, but was curious if maybe someone here may know....

Q: We are concerned something else may be draining the battery (somehow? we've had like six replacement refurbished ones that sometimes dont even last a day without triggering after being tested for 200 miles) and can't figure out what it is... IF for some reason we throw codes and the battery doesnt work or goes bad right away, will Toyota ONLY replace it with a new battery or will I be able to get it returned and refunded under the 1 year warranty?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you tell them that every time you get a code the battery drains and every time y'all use the car your battery is draining right regular all the time they're going to tell you we probably don't even want to sell you a battery because we could warranty that battery because there's something wrong with your car that's draining the battery that's how I would think most normal service advisors would see this now if you don't tell them this and you keep coming back every few days with a dead battery they will figure this out on their own pretty quickly and then they will tell you your warranty is null and void because your car is broken not the battery pretty logical I think but I'm sure folks will fix this right up with something.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't have any trouble lights (codes), the refurbished batteries are the problem, and a very common one.
    much more common than actually working reliably.

if you buy a new oem, they will only replace it if you get the proper trouble code, and they will not refund your money, unless they cannot get another battery

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We might be able to say more if you could include the information on exactly what trouble codes have been getting triggered.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On the sixth? Something is odd if the dealer has replaced five batteries already. What dealer would do this unless they were selling batteries that they thought were bad when they sold them?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A new battery is worlds different from a refurbished battery. Almost all new OEM high voltage batteries last 10 years or more, and it’s very unlikely that you would have an issue after 1 year and before 10 years or so with a new battery from Toyota.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I thought we were talking about the 12 volt but I agree I had an '05 car with a green tech in it that look like it lasted maybe two and a half years and then was wild n out. I bought a brand new Toyota battery for 14 and change and it's been in the green and running great ever since. But when my Gen 3 needed a battery two months later I didn't have another $1,400 to spend on another HV battery so I went to the hybrid doctor in Virginia couple hours from me I have a brother lives up that way went to his shop and he did a bang-up job for me for $690 I think gave me the whole battery didn't even want mine but he was supposed to come here and pick up two cores I had and he's never done it I guess I'm going to chuck the cores because I'm tired of them sitting in my carport

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding of the OP is he had six replacement refurbished ones and is now contemplating having a new dealer one installed.