1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota $2500 Rebate

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by TC_1967, Apr 27, 2017.

1. TC_1967

TC_1967 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just came back from a dealer and he is saying that Toyota incentive of $2500 is ending day after tomorrow so if we have to buy we should do it in next 48 hrs. by Saturday afternoon.

I checked and its true as per Toyota's website, but is there a possibility that these rebates may get extended or may be get better.

Today was the first time I saw the car and drove it and want to take some time to decide....

Any suggestions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

there's always a possibility. do you feel lucky? imo, if you're not ready to buy, put it out of your mind, and watch the promotions. buying a car is a major decision, and should not be taken lightly.
    if something looks good down the road, and you are ready, go for it.
    all the best!(y)

Merkey and mmmodem like this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    #3 DavidA, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Merkey likes this.
  5. mmyk72

mmyk72 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The rebate was $1500 last month in March. Who knows if next month will be same, higher or lower.

I've a deposit down for the Plus. Will pay in full tomorrow and pick it up next week. That allows the car to have a May registration, saving me a little on excise tax, Insurance, etc. (About $100 savings for waiting 2-3 days).

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  6. TC_1967

TC_1967 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for responding guys....problem with rushing is just don't know what a good price would be to negotiate, need time to figure it out and then negotiate it.

bisco likes this.
  7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before I got my PiP, I remember promotions were cash rebate or 0% interest. I didn't really time it. I just bought when I was ready to. Lo and behold, no need to choose. You could have both in October 2012. Who knows. Don't let the dealer rush you with an artificial constraint.

Merkey likes this.
  8. KCWhitney

KCWhitney Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The deals from Toyota, vary by region and generally expire monthly. I got $2K in CT in March. They were only offering $1.5K in MA.

I would recommend getting a few bids from dealers via e-mail. They give a pretty good price knowing this is their chance to get you into the showroom. It will give you a good ball park. If they don't give you a good bid, move on to another dealer. You can only bargain so much from those figures.

9. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My experience was several years ago when purchasing Toyota Prius v, like an ordinary consumer I thought purchasing vehicle near my city. At the time I was monitoring in my area incentives for Prius v and Toyota was giving 1500 cash rebate, then few days later I found that in Northern California was providing 3500 cash rebate, a 2000 difference. Adding salt into injury, few Northern California dealers quotes were 2000 lower without 3500 cash rebate compared to my area.
    Prior buying Prius Prime Advance, I was just looking to see what were the incentives, best one I found in Maine/New Jersey 1500 cash back in March, when April rolled was 2500 cash back ... Who knows what will be next month and month after that, but if you are in a hurry to purchase a vehicle in the near future, negotiate the vehicle price as lowest as you can excluding the incentives, don't let time and other(s) pressure make you an irrational decision.
    Sales tactic that most of sales person use to pay more are;
    Dealer: ".. is only 1000 difference" or whatever amount my response: "not paying 1000 to your dealership, I can use 1000 to drive about 2 years"
    Dealer: "incentives will not last long, there are not too many Primes available, I can not guarantee that car will be here tomorrow and I have many buyers lined up", my response: "go and sell to the person that is willing to pay more than me because you are in the business in selling cars"
    Dealer:"congratulations our best discount is 2995", my response: is this including 2500 cash back?, Dealer answer "Yes". my response " that's an great deal, but I will pass because it too great, have a nice day"
    Reading "2017 Prius Prime - official prices paid thread" assisted me in finding a dealer that provided in my in my case best price than anticipated.

10. jburke313

jburke313 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You could also look through the confirmed price thread for prices people have scored in your region, or as far as you are willing to travel to buy one. It will give you a ball park of the range of best possible deals. Good luck!

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get $4-5,000. off, depending on trim. if you had started looking a month ago, you would have had more time to make the same decision you would make today.
    it sounds like you're not ready to buy, so i would hold off. but no one can tell you if the deals will get better, worse, or the same.
    suffice it to say that demand will probably remain low for the near future, but this kind of discounting on a new car, which is already priced to sell, then gets $4,500. in fed tax credit, and possibly more from the state? unprecedented.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd wait.
    The car industry is experiencing a shortage of buyers at this time, and gas is cheap.
    The Prime is brand-new, and supplies are still short, but the folks in Aichi Japan are building them as fast as they can, and I would expect inventories to rise and further incentives in the future, as all of the early adopters finish their scramble to be the first kid on their block with a new Prime.
    The center of gravity in the automotive world right now is crossovers and/or baby utes.
    Sedan sales are slow and econo-hatches (outside places like SoCal) are even SLOWER.

Normally all of this would point to NOW being a really good time to buy, but I generally advise against buying in April/May because the dealers are being fed by buyers who aren't good at long term finance and have large income tax refund checks to spend......so I think that we're several months from getting to prime Prime prices.

Of course.....one incident in the NAG (Northern Arabian Gulf) an earthquake in Japan, or the outbreak of a major conflict on the Korean peninsula could rejigger the numbers......but I'm always very suspicious of dealers that say....ACT NOW! TOMORROW IS TOO LATE!

Your call.
    Let us know what you decide.

mmyk72 likes this.
  13. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just emailed my sales person at Suburban Toyota in Troy Michigan. She says there is not a single Prime available.:cry::eek:

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They sell them outside Michigan, and one-way airfare is pretty cheap.
    There's NO WAY I would buy local if I can save thousands a few states away.

Besides.....what better way to get to know your new car than a nice, relaxing road trip in the summer???? :)

15. Ken Carter

Ken Carter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Even though I live in Colorado, I'm buying a Prime Advanced in Massachusetts due to the $2500 cash back out there. Even after shipping costs, I'm saving over $2200 by buying there instead of my home state, and I'll get the car now instead of having to order and wait. I just posted details in the prices paid thread if you're interested.

2017 Prius Prime - official prices paid thread | Page 10 | PriusChat

16. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm also in Illinois and as of today there's pretty much nothing being offered by Toyota NA. Am I to understand that a buyer cannot get another state's / region's rebate if they buy out of state ? It would sure suck if we in Illinois couldn't buy from a dealer say on the east coast to save $2500, yet I think that's how it works.....

17. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've been watching the Toyota website since February. They change the date on the $1000(that's what they offer in PA) a couple days after it expires. It hasn't gone up in value from that $1000 since I started watching it. The same thing goes with the $1000 military discount. It has a date expiration on it that just keeps getting updated.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If negotiating a price is the only thing holding you back, I would figure it out now and buy the car before the rebate expires.
    Besides the rebate I would figure $500 to $1000 off MSRP. We are only getting a $1000 in California.

19. bodgm

bodgm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You will also get the $5,000 state credit on your tax bill next year! New in 2017 , ok n Colorado. I bought my Prime in Rochester , NY and drove it back and titled and registered the car in Arapahoe County

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you live in colorado, is it possible to buy in the northeast get about 4k off, and get another $9,500. in state and fed tax credits?
    iow, $30 - 13.5k = $16,500. for a new prime?