1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Acknowledges Design Problems In 2010 Prius Brakes, Modified Models Built After January

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dammitdex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My point exactly. The national media outlets should be perusing this site for all the technical expertise and experience that's contained herein on a daily basis. The national media outlets are writers and actors...and what they know about anthing beyond grammar and make up is...ZILCH.

God forbid that they would reference or even request input from such a wealth of knowledge as herein.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Truer words never have been spoken. :madgrin:

It's already in the 2007 Owners Manual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jim Cramer! How the hedge fund doing? :madgrin:

This seems like a very personal thing to ask on a public forum. :madgrin:

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  3. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is funny, you are doing exactly what dammitdex has been quoting. We can all be fans of Toyota Prius, but when there is a problem, how-ever small that may be we need to point it out and let Toyota fix the issue.

BTW, I did not see any comments that feeds hysteria from him, may be you are feeling that way.

4. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :rockon:

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick informal survey of Gen 2 and Gen 3 owners in this area confirms what Toyota is seeming to indicate in its statement, the incidence of this loss of brake feeling is highly dependent on the road surface.

Here in SE VA and NE NC we get almost no snow or frost at anytime during the winter. The roads and highways aren't sufficient for traffic at times but they are normally in better condition than many other areas I've driven in the US and CA.

In this area there aren't a lot of potholes ( NYC, Chi, Boston ), hardly any ice on the highways ( NYS, NE, OH, MI ) and little or no frost heaves. As a result the small sampling that I've done of drivers in this area seem to indicate that with one exception none have felt this phenomenon.

1 person likes this.
  6. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is this always happen when you are braking to avoid hitting object in front of you. And that object have no perception or feeling. They just sit there or continue slowing. Your Prius will keep at the higher speed for a split second and that made a big difference.

7. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just spoke to my salesperson about the car I have on order. It was built before Jan, 2010 and doesn't have the software upgrade. She said that they're going to deal with the gas pedal problems on the other cars first and when that dies down they'll bring in all the pre-Feb, 2010 Prii for the brake fix.

8. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I too have a 2008 Prius. I have never encountered any braking problems in 28 month of driving it all over the Western U.S. The car has nuances with which the driver must become familiar, but they are nowhere near the alarmist features that so many (like you) are claiming.

If you can produce this characteristic at will, please give us details of precisely how you do it.

9. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good lucky Toyota. I hope there won't be any fatal accident on the Prius related to the brake in this period. Otherwise, CEO of it should be tried for manslaughter since they know there is a problem, they have a fix and they refused to let owners to get the fix when they wanted.

10. d41ssb

d41ssb New Member

Model:
    IV
  11. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The reduction in regenerative braking will reduce fuel economy, correct ?

12. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you Tom, finally a sober and rational comment glinting amongst the manic swirl of innuendo, mis-statements, and vested interest remarks that passes for news these days.

I agree that the likely remedy is a fairly straightforward modification to the braking control software for the 2010 model. I certainly do not see its necessity in the 2008 Gen II model, though Toyota may want to suggest it for PR reasons, if nothing else.

13. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe I have experienced this a few times with my '06 in the past. It was not an alarming situation by any means. The times that it has happened were around 30 MPH while lightly braking (obviously in regen mode), and then going into a pot-hole or over a patch of lose gravel while still braking. The traction control light very briefly flashed and I needed to push a little more firmly on the brakes. There was no loss of braking ability, just a very brief change in the feeling of the brake pedal. I have not come across the "issue" in the 2010 yet, which is pre-January.

I think this is being blown out of proportion. I'm thinking that the update makes the system less sensitive to such situations, kind of like how the traction control system was updated on the 2nd gen.

If someone digs hard enough, they can find people complaining about most anything these days.

I couldn't help but notice that yesterday morning the media claimed there were 100 reports. By the end of the day, there were 180. So it sounds like there were 100 reports total since the 2010 came out, yet that number nearly doubled in less than a day once the media got a hold of it?

14. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The owners of these crashing Priuses would disagree.

15. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Geez Manual, your suggestion that we use the public highways as test areas for our cars is ridiculous at best, and downright criminal at worst.

16. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So basically someone crashes their car and says "I couldn't stop in time", a report is filed, and that automatically makes it a problem with the car?

17. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    for someone with a prius 2010 on order your last comment : qoute - Latest news from Japan. Potentially a Prius-gate for early 2010 Prius adopters. I'd like to see all the hardcore fan-boys continue to defend the issue as a normality or 'feature' of the ABS system now.- is a little bit strange.

if the report is correct that the recal for the prius gen 3 brakes is because of the same thing that also 2004-2009 gen 2 prius owners experience then these also needs to be recalled for a software update.
    it can not be that because of this hype that is now created over toyota troubles that toyota will adjust a problem in the gen3 that is never solved in the gen2 because there was no reason for it.

18. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: The Woz Knows What He's Talking About- Toyota Admits Software To Blame For Prius Problems

So 5 years later you start to complain about it!?

If you can't adjust your driving style to accommodate I suggest you get a different car.

19. d41ssb

d41ssb New Member

Model:
    IV
    Concerning recent discussion of acceleration re Prius 2010 braking issue: ``Acceleration'' is defined as the time-rate of change of velocity or, equivalently, the second time rate of change of position. When moving in a straight line, then if acceleration is positive, the velocity (speed) MUST be increasing. The time rate of change of acceleration (third time rate of change of position) is often referred to as the ``jerk'' or sometimes ``jolt''. See

Third derivative of position

It would seem that the ``.. acceleration sensation..'' referred to in some posts in relation to the Prius braking problem is in fact a positive jerk: namely the acceleration increases from a negative value (braking effective) to zero (loss of braking). This will be well known to Toyota engineers.

20. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Stop driving over potholes then! I do my best to avoid them; you should too!