1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Actually Top Vehicle Seller in '07: US Industry Paper

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by usbseawolf2000, Jan 25, 2008.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tokyo (JCN) - Japan's Toyota Motor Corp. <7203> must be the world's No. 1 vehicle seller in 2007, as its U.S. rival General Motors Corp. padded global sales disregarding an industrywide practice in compiling sales data, a leading U.S. auto industry journal said Thursday.

It was reported on Wednesday that last year's GM global sales totaled a preliminary 9,369,524 units, narrowly beating Toyota's 9,366,000 units to remain as the top automaker.

But actually, GM "slipped well behind" Toyota in global sales and "is now the world's second largest automaker," the industry weekly Automotive News said online.

"Here is why: GM includes in its total 516,435 vehicles of the Wuling brand in China. But GM owns only 34 percent of the Chinese company that produces Wuling vehicles, SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co.," it pointed out.

In compiling 2007 global sales data, all other automakers followed the industry practice of only including sales of majority-owned subsidiaries. For instance, Mazda Motor Corp.'s sales are excluded from Ford Motor Co.'s total because Ford owns 33.4 pct of the Japanese maker.

"So Automotive News subtracts Wuling-brand sales from GM's reported total, arriving at 8,885,599," it said.

http://www.japancorp.net/printarticle.asp?Art_ID=16781

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    ahhh...that's a shame for GM.

But, hey, they do have 2-mode out and selling...lots...of...them...oh, never mind.

Okay, the Volt. Nope, just vaporware.

Uh, Mr Goodwrench is still in business. Right?

Oh, the upcoming Malibu hybrid...er...2 MPG better than it's gas-only cousin...oops.

Well, there's always next year. Cubs fans unite. ;)

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, I thought profits would be more important than units sold. But I guess GM has already conceded defeat on that score, eh?

4. C.RICKEY HIROSE

usbseawolf2000, How do you like this publication?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, I have no preference about publication. I thought it is short and informative.