1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota admits being hurt by Tesla, gives tepid response

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Jan 17, 2019.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an interesting response from Toyota.
    It doesn't surprise me that a lot of previous Toyota Prius Owners are becoming Tesla Owners. Prius owners, many of them, became Prius owners because they weren't afraid of owning something different, they wanted something efficient and that embraced new technology. Especially with early adopters of Prius, I think you had an audience that embraced a pioneering soul in that regard.

So today, many of that same audience now showing interest and embracing Tesla, doesn't really surprise me.

I have looked at Tesla as being a "Luxury" choice, or a high end choice, based mostly on just total cost. But it's interesting to me that Toyota and Lentz are viewing Tesla as a whole new segment a technology based segment.
    I did not really look at it that way, but I think Lentz is right.

I have said, in other threads other posts, that part of the real challenge for Toyota and Prius is trying to recapture some of it's earlier "mojo". You can only be the "New" thing once, and only for a period of time.
    Right now? Tesla is that new thing. If you can afford one, it has that mojo.

I suspect at some point it levels out. Tesla will get the sales they earn, for the vehicles they are. Prius will get the sales they earn. And once you start comparing the vehicles in terms of total cost and total vehicle ownership cost and experience, I think Prius competes very well.

Whether I'm right or wrong. It's interesting to me that Lentz believes Tesla has created a new segment, a technology based segment. I think I agree. And how Toyota responds specifically to that reality will be interesting. Mainstream Prius, use to be considered Toyota's "Technology Based" flagship.
    But if you go head to head right now, with HSD and Hybrid vs. BEV or Tesla full electric, Tesla has the mojo of being the newer thing, the panache in the garage, and HSD and Hybrid is looking much more common and stale.

I still don't think this should be looked at as a head to head fight. I think it should be looked at as product and marketing evolution. It illuminates probably the most, that Toyota is paying attention and is vested into what is happening. Even as they watch a percentage of Prius Owners become Tesla Owners.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Chances? slim to none. The model 3 is everywhere here in California but they are not driven by Tesla employees.
    Read the Q3 report, nothing skewed. Q4 report hasn't been released yet, probably in early February.
    That's an example of taking a positive and turning it into a negative. Tesla added 30,000 to their payroll in 2018. Many of those were added to help the push at the end of 2018 to meet the demand resulting from the tax credit phase out reduction. So ~10,000 of those "temp" employees are being laid off now because the rush is over. The net result is, Tesla has 20,000 more employees than they had a year ago. What is there to "Hmmmmmm" about?

VM has some compelling BEV models that should be released in the next year or so. They appear to be going all in on electrification to maintain their world lead4er reputation. Toyota, no, same old stodgy product, no imagination, no vision, no viable plans for the future. Toyota is asleep at the 2 wheel and they don't even realize it.
    And that is why legacy automakers have a serious marketing issue caused by an upstart BEV automaker that is disrupting the whole industry.
    What specific "traditional vehicles" are they phasing out? They just introduced the new Supra - 100% ICE. Stupid, at least make it a hybrid like the i8.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Phaseout of traditional vehicle production has been mentioned so many times over the years, it's difficult to not recognize that reference. Don't you remember any of the press releases about offering a hybrid model for every vehicle? As for the Supra, there will always be niche offerings.

The point is to move the fleet forward, which is exactly what the HSD system does. It standardizes motor & battery-pack while improving emissions (SULEV rating, as well as carbon reduction) across all mainstream offerings.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is a clever approach, to stealthily convert ordinary car buyers into hybrid buyers. This all but eliminates the usual FUD:
    • battery replacement cost
    • hybrid premium
    • poor performance (OK, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.)
    Bob Wilson

• Pretty much every one of their ordinary cars is going to have an affordable hybrid.
    • That Supra is Tesla bait ... looking forward to the YouTube head-to-head.
    Bob Wilson

#24 bwilson4web, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2019
    john1701a likes this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Supra is intended to be low volume, so isn't a Model 3 compare anyway. Model S will be redefined, as we have seen with the lower package choices being eliminated.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So the phase-out just means converting to other sources of power, other than - or in addition to ICE. Interesting .... calling it a phase out, while it still has an ICE ... Ok. So maybe that next Corolla & Camry & Supra & Prius will also have a platinum stack with hydrogen tank. Another "phase-out "

#26 hill, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Trollbait likes this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I doubt the Supra will get a hybrid or plug-in hybrid ... at least until after 'Tesla vs Supra' YouTubes finally shame the Japanese into doing the right thing.

As for the "fool cell" nonsense, Japan Inc. plans to show off their hydrogen skills for the Tokyo Olympics. Once the "Klang und Wut" is over, economics will do the right thing. Hopefully California will follow.

Bob Wilson

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drove a Tesla 3 recently and I was quite impressed on the short 15 minute drive. The car was really fast and different compared to my Prius. But the cost was $53000 for the AWD after about $10000 in rebates.

For those that want to spend $53000 on a car, it may be a worth while experience. Let's just hope none of these cars suddenly need service because I don't think there are enough service centers to service these cars. That experience will probably not be a pleasant one

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think Lentz is wrong on the whole new segment idea. Teslas do have some neat technology, but much of it is available in other luxury/premium, or even everyday/common, brands. The dynamic cruise, lane keep, and advanced safety systems in the 2019 RDX are 80% to 90% of Autopilot. For the rest car companies just need to get better infotainment and connectivity. The electric drive train isn't new. For many middle class kids, the first powered vehicle they got to drive was an EV.

Tesla's success is that of providing a BEV to pent up demand, that also has the support of reasonably fast chargers for long trips. They knew that for a car not using the established ICE refueling network would require them get into the 'energy' business themselves in order to sell their product. It is only a separate segment if you insist on classifying Non-ICE cars in their own groups.

Car hybridization is a fuzzy concept. Costs have dropped enough that every car could be a mild hybrid in the near future. The improved emissions are great. So can be the fuel use reduction, but it won't be enough to get us off the fossil fuel teat.

The Prime is a good PHEV, but it has flaws that hinder adoption, just like early full hybrid sedans did.

From the article, "Two of the biggest news stories to come out of the Detroit Auto Show were GM's decision to make Cadillac its lead electric brand and Ford's announcement that it's developing an all-electric version of its top-selling F-150 pickup truck."

Raise your hand if you think Tesla had no bearing on these decisions.

Granted, California's ZEV program is playing a big part in influence. It alone would not result in the degree of change we are seeing now. Just because Tesla wasn't mentioned doesn't mean the established companies weren't paying attention when all their models beat their segement competition upon release.

"What Tesla boosters seem to miss is that electrification is trivially easy for big car companies."

I'm aware of that, and I am pretty sure the majority of boosters are too. What this author appears to miss, and what those following hybrids know, is that you get a better car when the platform is dedicated for the drivetrain, and platforms take time and money to develop. Throwing together something like the Focus Electric is quick and easy, but you don't get a compelling product.

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And how are those affordable hybrids selling for Toyota right now?
    You think? That "Tesla bait" will be gobbled up in one swallow by model 3 Performance in the quarter mile, 0-60, on the track.............where does the Supra want the beat down?

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I misquoted.
    Within the article what Lentz says is new category of a technology driven product.

I think that's fair even if that's a chimerical statement.

Regardless of how much real "new" technology may or may not exist in a Tesla, being a BEV in of itself gives it that "Panache". I think if you polled the average American on the street and asked them what commercially available vehicle represented the cutting edge, most would say Tesla.

As you pointed out, there have been and are other BEV options. But to Tesla's credit, I think what they have done, is create a product that has expanded the consciousness of what a BEV can be.

Is this a "New Segment"? Well if nobody is really joining you on the battlefield, I suppose you can't call it a war.
    But I think it is interesting that Tesla has at least planted the seeds, that what is expected of an electric vehicle is as close to no compromise as possible.

In some ways I look at this as a riptide over the centuries.
    As a battle between technologies in transportation is really not new. In the 1800's you had quite a battle between Steam, Electric, and Gasoline.
    By many accounts, Electric appeared to have an early advantage, until the discovery and adoption of fossil fuels in mass happened.

So in some ways, we're moving forward by looking back.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. Toyota Newsroom publishes their sales each month including breaking out hybrids. Even you can read it.
    2. Toyota claims the Supra does 0-60 in +4 sec. There are stock Teslas that beat that time which suggests you didn’t know.
    I wish we could find a better Tesla advocate but then compared to you, @hill is exactly that.

Bob Wilson

14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota sales are down
    I own a 3 MR (mid range) which is the slowest model 3 Tesla builds at this time, which does 0-60 in low 5's
    The 3LR (long range) does 0-60 in high 4's
    The 3LR AWD does 0-60 in low 4's
    The 3LR AWD does 0-60 in low 3's
    * these numbers have been verified by owners in the real world with scientific instruments. These numbers are better than what Tesla officially lists on their website and marketing materials*

Supra:
    add cost of gasoline
    add cost of dealership
    add cost of service for ancillary systems
    slower, higher TCO, old technology, struggling manufacturer

Supra is "Tesla bait"? I don't think so.
    Classy, for an advocate for Toyoyo Prius and Bummer i3.

15. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like Tesla is the current gold standard in the automotive industry, California (despite all of its faults aand high COLA) is the gold standard for progressive governance.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The car capabilities only get better the more you drive it. My wife struggled the first couple of weeks because she was trying to drive it like our PIP. Then she got the hang of it. She now only drives our model 3 but had to take the Prius today (hadn't driven it in a month) because of a scheduling conflict. I asked her for a comparison to the PIP. She said:
    - dreadfully slow
    - comparatively noisy
    - confusing array of buttons and knobs (which are much better than most cars)

She asked when are we getting rid of the Prius
    Actually the the model 3 Long Range AWD with included options is $51000 less a tax credit of $3750, so high $40K. Don't take my word for it. go to the Tesla website and price one out

My car, a model 3 Mid Range RWD, is netting out to $43K after Federal, State, and local tax credits and rebates. The car is much better than I ever expected (which was a lot).

Regarding service, Tesla realizes they need to up their game. They are expanding their Ranger service, which means a Ranger, with a fully stocked truck, comes to YOUR location (home or business) to address service needs. Tesla claims that 90% of service can be accomplished by a Ranger.

BTW, Tesla just announced the service schedule for the model 3. Every two years (or 25K miles) $250 takes care of everything. Every four years (or 50K miles) is $450.

#37 el Crucero, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    JC91006 likes this.
  18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's no excuse to outright dismiss content, without even bothering to provide any reasoning.

19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not only that, but Chevy is announcing an all electric pickup. This is all great news. It will make Tesla a better car company. It will make legacy car companies better. And it will begin to address climate change.

The author of this article is terribly naive. Tesla boosters would like to have more options too. Tesla boosters do realize that and wonder why the legacy car companies aren't jumping in because it is so easy. Well many are with the notable exception of Toyota. For the time being, Tesla is the most viable option, Hopefully that will change in the near future.

#39 el Crucero, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And that's no excuse to cite them as a reliable source without even bothering to provide any reasoning.