1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Adopts Ford AppLink

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Jun 5, 2015.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota adopts Ford AppLink to keep Apple CarPlay, Android Auto honest | ExtremeTech

"Toyota will work with Ford to integrate an open-source version of Ford’s Sync AppLink into future Toyota vehicles. The software, called SmartDeviceLink (yes, three words concatenated) lets a car access and control applications running on the smartphone, using the car’s LCD, dashboard controls, and voice input button. This is roughly the same as what Apple CarPlay and Android Auto do."

SmartDeviceLink Gains Momentum as Industry-Driven Option for Smartphone App Integration into Vehicle Dashboards | Ford Media Center

Toyota to Explore Integration of SmartDeviceLink Technology | Corporate

Some of the stories paint this as Ford and Toyota trying to protect themselves from Google and Apple. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but what's being described does not necessarily exclude android or carplay, and could even be better so long as it is a relatively open system that supports all phones.

Could it show up in 4th gen Prius?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ford worked with Microsoft and Sony for their entertainment, Sync, and My Ford Mobile. Loved being able to check on my wife's car's state of charge, remote start, unlock, lock, locate, etc., until it broke. Then it took a long time for them to fix it, my only gripe. I'm not surprised they may stick with this somewhat alternate path...

MT2L03 ?

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a hot button issue for some who say CarPlay or Android Auto is a must have. Will this satisfy most of those folks?