1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Announces New Powertrain Units Based on TNGA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bhtooefr, Feb 26, 2018.

1. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Cylinder head with built-in EGR cooler function." I wonder how easy that EGR cooler will be to clean...

farmecologist likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It should be easier than the one in the gen3 Prius. The gen4 is taking the exhaust from farther downstream, where it has had a chance to cool down some. Which should mean less stuff in solution to get deposited in the EGR plumbing.

pilotgrrl and bwilson4web like this.
  3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The theory is less soot b/c EGR is taken after the converter. We'll know for sure in the next 5 years.

Pixel XL ?

m.wynn likes this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    hopefully it never needs to be clean. Quick google shows ford's patent of such a device.
    US8056545B2 - Integrated cover and exhaust gas recirculation cooler for internal combustion engine - Google Patents
    I have no idea if this is similar and part of the ford/toyota patent swap, or if toyota is doing something different (ford was mainly doing this with v8s so it's likely somewhat different in an i4.

There will likely be low soot because this engine when cooled egr is being used is likely in atkinson mode. The ford patent allows exhaust gas recirculation to either be cooled or not, depending on operation. If exhaust gas is sooty, I would expect them to not send it through the cooler. Various sensors should allow toyota to know, and take appropriate actions (ignore throttle response and go deeper atkinson mode if engine temperatures are too high).

#64 austingreen, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    m.wynn and mjoo like this.