1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota announces price hikes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Sean & Ian

Sean & Ian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: You have to understand that the exchange rate changes every day. If the average exchange rate through the same period was $1 = 104 Yen, then 682.2 billion yen = $6.56 billion.

Also, just because someone spent enormous amount of money on something doesn't mean the money was spent wisely.

2. Sid

Sid New Member

I wonder why Honda, Nissan, VW, etc. haven't felt the need to "help out GM" the way Toyota has.
    The Toyota sales rep that arranged my test drive tells me the increase is only about $100 to $200 per vehicle.
    If the Prius becomes too expensive for me, I'll buy the Honda Civic Hybrid instead, NOT some GM car.

(of course, it'll break my heart not owning a Prius, it's so much cooler than the Honda)

3. Sid

Sid New Member

Back during the first "Energy Crisis" of the '70s is when the US auto makers should have started developing hybrid and other alternative power vehicles, they didn't and now they have no one to blame but themselves. Also, the lower quality, fit & finish, etc. hasn't helped them any either.

4. MGBGT

MGBGT New Member

I have just never, ever understood what is in my view an extremely silly argument, namely that to buy American is patriotic.
    That is about the silliest, and most shortsighted argument I have ever come across:
    such a policy may give a very short lived temporary boost to domestic companies, but in the long run it will inevitably put them at a disadvantage because it will give them the luxury of not truly having to compete on the open market. Inevitably, products will fall behind in quality, safety, features and appeal, and thus in the long run the 'buy homegrown' policy is very UN-patriotic.
    The best policy is to simply buy what best meets your needs.
    Period. That's it. Simple as that.

5. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thorn\";p=\"97332)</div>
    Those are fascinating figures. With such similar figures it makes one wonder why the quality between the two is so different, as well as the breakthroughs. So it's just that the wrong choices were made?

I do wonder though what is actually being counted in each of those figures. While GM is figuring out where to put cup holders and how to get TV screens in the back of head rests, Toyota is developing HSD.

This is a jibe. I have no data on what GM is including in "other product development activities" versus what Toyota includes. Plus, I think it was Toyota that invented the cup holder.

I do remember commercials where Ford or GM would show the stressing that goes on on various parts. You would see a robot open and close the door over and over for example. The spokesmen would say how this was done to make sure parts lasted a long time. I'm not an engineer and I knew this explanation was a crock. Those robots are not used to make things better, but to make things cheaper. If the robot finds that a part lasts for 80,000 repetitions, but the part is only needed for 10,000 repetitions, then the part is overbuilt and needs to be cheapened. This is the real reason for the robots.

Now I've got a bit of a problem if that robot cost comes out of the R&D budget, but if both GM and Toyota do it the same way, then the numbers would be a wash. But do they each do it the same?

My point is, the relative equality of those numbers may have no meaning insofar as this thread is concerned. Without knowing what each was counting, and how they were counting, to get to the 6.x billion figures. On the other hand, those figures may indeed be very comparable. Does anyone know?

6. thorn

thorn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"97348)</div>
    There might be more info in the SEC report, Toyota:
    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/109...1-05-000969.txt

GM:
    http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/doctra...-05-000050&nad=

7. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK OK OK!!!
    First off, Toyota is a competitor of GM, so isn't it a good thing when you are beating your competition? Ok, so GM has made so BAAAD decisions over and over, and now they are suffering because people are realizing that their cars and trucks are of low quality... SO??
    And like someone mentioned, LOOK at Hyundai- they are a silent killer- they have greatly improved their quality over the years, and quite honestly I would love to own one. I ONLY bought my Prius because of the gas mileage, and I am really really unhappy with it's build quality and materials. Yes, they are better than a Chevy Cavalier or Lumina or whatever crap GM throws out there, But really, Ford makes some pretty cool cars, with decent materials. I have owned over 15 vehicles in 8 years, and I have seen good and bad qualities in all of them, and I have had the best luck with the Ford's ironically enough- I put the most miles, got the best reliability, best dealer service... AND they are actually usually fun to drive, a concept that is rare among Toyota's- awefully boring ride and materials.
    I was very happy with my Prius at first- the gas I was saving, But then now after a few months, and over 10k miles, it rattles, creaks, has broken down on my way home from vacation, showing signs of wear in the fabrics, the black plastic on the door gets scuffed... it is a different story. I actually bought a brand new Hyundai a couple years ago as a temporary car- had it for a few months, (2003 Elantra GT) and it was built much better- I beat the heck out of the car and it held up very well! This Toyota I have babied and isn't doing so well.

ANYWAYS- Moral of the story- if Toyota is doing better- then great- take the success and RUN with it. Isn't that the goal in business?
    As far as BUYING AMERICAN, What a joke!! GM's are built in Mexico, Canada, and wherever else- And Ford's too- built in Mex. and wherever- so how is that the true AMERICAN Company it once was??

Sorry for venting here, but honestly, I would NOT pay more for the Prius- again the purpose was to save money. Also I feel the other Toyota products are over priced as it is, so if they do- let's just say HYUNDAI- HERE I COME! I can honestly afford whatever I want, whether it be a BMW or Lexus, but I do not like the stuffy image that is given- I guess because I am only 23, but Toyota is usually pretty nuetral. So I may get made fun of because I think Hyundai is cool- but I think back in the 70's and maybe 80's, people probably thought that way about Toyota and Honda.

8. Sid

Sid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager\";p=\"97363)</div>
    Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your Prius (except for its MPG), that's a bit distressing.
    Any idea if Hyundai will put out a hybrid?

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    YES, Hyundai plans on a Sonota Hybrid, and also next year they are planning an Accent / Rio hybrid.

I had expected a lot from the Prius, and I knew after having an SUV I would make some compromises, but I have been very unhappy so far- and the dealer really doesn't help. I thought a Toyota dealer would have better customer service. I haven't been treated this bad since I bought my Chevy Truck.

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I have not had any problems yet (knock on wood) and I am at 5K miles. My mileage is around 54 MPG so I cannot complain. Although I get mad when I go below 50 (to think I used to drive F250 that only got 15 :p).

On a side note, I do not think dealerships treat anyone very well. With the exception of BMW. They would drop off a loaner and take the car for service or repair. I am not sure how much my buddy paid for that service.

12. jchu

jchu New Member

RemaxMgr,
    Sorry to hear about you disappointment. Outside of the scuffed plastic issue, with 29k miles on our Prius I have had no compliants. No breakdowns, we did have to replace the MFD but were not inconvienienced in any way as the car itself functioned fine until my schedule allowed me to get it replaced. Our Prius was actually purchased with about 3k miles on it as it started life as a TRAC vehicle. Paid only a few hundred over invoice and our local Toyota dealer has been more than accomodating. Just our own experience.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I owned a GM car. It was my first and only car before our Prius came. I can't recall how many thousands of dollars we spent on alternators, steering components, cooling system components and etc that would fail. Every month or so something would fail.

Could have paid for half our Prius in cash with all that money we sunk into that POS GM car.

Hubby had a few GM cars before he got his Camry. Engine trouble, every time. He junked 3 Chevys and a Saturn before stumbling on the Camry. The body of the Camry rusted out before the car quit on him... and that's because it was used for 18 years in Wisconsin. Now he's on Camry #2 and we will never buy GM again.

After seeing some of the cheapo parts used in the engine compartment by Ford, I won't even consider them. My mom's 99 Taurus has more electrical problems than I've ever seen in one car and the dealer refuses to touch it. My stepdad bought a Ford back in the 90s and the engine died at 3500 miles, while on vacation on the other end of the country. What did the dealer do? Took the truck for a week as he stayed in a hotel and told him they couldn't fix it, then gave him some BS about how he needed to pay thousands of dollars to get the exact same truck as a replacement. Under warranty. Hmmm. Yeah that's great customer service.

14. jopa

jopa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman\";p=\"97284)</div>

:| Uhh... Winter is December 21st in every part of the country.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but the Jetta is tiny. I can't fit in the back seat. I will, however, agree that the interior is excellent for the price paid.

Also, we don't know if Toyota will market a 4 or 6 cylinder Camry hybrid. However, you are probabyl right since it'll be easier for them to use the 3.3. litre HSD setup rather than develop a separate set. But then doing so will allow a RAV4 hybrid, so either way, they're gonna have to make a 4 cylinder HSD between 1.5 and 3.3 litres.

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"97419)</div>
    Since it's coming so soon, and since it has to compete against the Accord, I'd have to imagine the V6 is the route they're going.

The newer Jetta is much bigger. If they offered a hybrid Jetta Wagon, even if it were just IMA, it'd own the Prius in my book. But I guess that's because I miss the comfort of the Jetta and love the versatility of a wagon/hatchback. It'd be a win/win. :)

17. unique2006

unique2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26\";p=\"97301)</div>
    Hint: Don't drive the Focus like the '65 mustang and you'll probably get better milage.[/b][/quote]
    LOL, i have tried driving 55mph before and it didnt make a difference...:(

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i saw the GM expense report and that is not for R&D. it also counts the expense of recalls and fixes for existing products and the reason why GM's figure is comparable to Toyota's is not because they are doing as much research. they are spending a huge chunk of money fixing problems with current models.

nearly 2.5 billion was for current model problems. i think you will find that Toyotas expenditures on current models are much lower. a few years ago it was running about 600 million i think.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26\";p=\"97431)</div>
    mmhmm. Hence, you're probably right. I am hoping for a 4 cylinder HSD option. The new Jetta is much roomier but the 5 cylinder is noisy. It's also much safer (not that the old one wasn't but, you know)

20. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, my experience with GM was anything but good. I bought it brand new while in high school- and I worked every day after school- and I had to literally drive to the dealer every week because there was a new problem. I would sit in the parking lot of the school, with NO license plates yet- my car was new- and be cranking over the engine, crank crank crank... wouldn't start- almost every day! And of course that dealer saw a 17 year old complaining and must of thought I was dumb, so they were always rude... long story short- in 6 months it was in the shop over 30 times, and I contacted GM about buying it back and they said, "Due to the fact that you still have the rest of your warranty, we can not offer any compensation at this time." So I traded that in for another truck and swore I would never buy a GM again- haha. Luckily my Toyota isn't like that- just inconveniences I am mostly experiencing at this point.