1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota apparently abandons the BEV market for now.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by markabele, Jan 7, 2019.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't watch TV much, but now and again I get it in my face (like in a hospital emergency room) and I saw a Toyota Hybrid ad once that touted the lack of a cord and plug, yet still being "electric" and charging itself without having to be plugged in. I could not believe my eyes and ears when I saw that. Still, I am glad them made Gen 2 car in the past with quality that makes them excellent used vehicles.

scona likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, Akio doesn’t really like BEVs. Toyota engineers tried to convince him by building an electric GT86 prototype (86 or FR-S) tondrive around the track. He wasn’t impressed, commenting “it’s an EV”.

I’ll see if that article still exists.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It doesn't matter as time waits for no one.

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you push it up the hill?

m.wynn likes this.
  5. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He should test drive Tesla Roadster prototype or Rimac

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    telmo744 likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #47 hill, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the ceo and heir to toyota is not immune to paranoia. he may feel that toyota will lose all their advantage in a world of electric cars. and he may be right.
    but i'm not sure how he figures sticking his head in the sand is going to stop the coming onslaught

Trollbait likes this.
  9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trollbait likes this.
  10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    ED804DBA-A33C-496E-A5B4-248C1CFAE0C2.jpeg

bisco likes this.
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That promotion angle, was a fundamental part of early Prius advertising.
    And however it's still very applicable and true today. That's why I say the Hybrid Bridge has NOT been crossed.

I think especially in Prius Chat, we get a perspective that is maybe not aligned with the overall consumer perspective. I mean this as a compliment, but Prius Chat participants, and long time Prius Owners, have the consumer DNA of pioneers.
    I think as a whole this community is looking for the advancement and promotion of full electrics, plug ins, more aggressively than the average population as a whole.

So it's disappointing to a lot of this population to read headlines that suggest Toyota is NOT leading the pack in this area.
    But IMO Toyota is acting exactly as a large, world wide, leading automaker has to act.

It's also my opinion, that direct competition with Tesla, would be unwise, because it's unnecessary.
    A potential problem for Tesla, with all due respect for the groundbreaking, pioneering work they have done in the production of their products, and the growth of an "electric infrastructure" , nothing Tesla has produced is really something that can't be reproduced. When, and I think it is a matter of when, Toyota decides to enter the full electric game? It wouldn't take a secret hidden project of complicated reverse engineering to make a Toyota electric vehicle that competed with Tesla.
    And Toyota could jump into this battle, as an already established automotive giant. Advantage Toyota.
    In the meantime? Tesla, full electrics still represent a minuscule portion of the consumer automotive market. Why not sit back and let Tesla do the heavy lifting of development and promotion? If the demand and market grows? Toyota can quickly and I think efficiently enter the battle.

And finally, I would suspect, that regardless of what some Toyota executives might say, or what the company line may be, that Toyota does keep a close eye on what is happening. I would speculate that with Toyota, it's not a case of electric vehicle abandonment, as it is just enjoying the luxury of being able to NOT produce an electric vehicle at this time.
    Toyota at this point IMO would have little to gain. Any immediate entry would be compared against the laudable success of Tesla. The market IMO does not yet exist for a MAINSTREAM produced, higher end electric vehicle.
    I support the advancement of alternative automotive options, Hybrid, Electric...etc, etc, but IMO at this point in time, Toyota shouldn't be too interested in dedicating a lot of production assets into creating a full electric product.

telmo744 likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    not the 1st time leadership didn't predict things well. Kind of reminiscent of General Doolittle.

bwilson4web likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or MacAurthur.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Sillywizard

Sillywizard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I haven’t read the entire thread, so I appologise if I repeat anything that’s already been voiced.

If anything, Toyota isn’t dumb!
    20 years ago ethanol was all the rage; environmental, economical, ethical, etc... governments were pushing for, and subsidizing national networks of fuel pump distribution of ethanol, subsidizing purchasing of new ethanol vehicles, production of ethanol, car manufacturers offered ethanol alternatives, nada nada... Toyota said they didn’t agree with the whole argument for ethanol, and Toyota was right!

Early on Toyota said that battery electric is not the way to go for the transformation of the transport sector from fossil fuels, instead the future lies in hydrogen fuel cells with hybrid engines bridging the transition, and Toyota is right again!

BEV is a parenthetical sidetrack. Hydrogen is coming on strong and fast and not only in the transport sector.
    If and when anybody is in the market to buy a new vehicle, then be smart: buy a fuel cell or a hybrid as a placeholder for your next vehicle, a fuel cell. The future is actually here in case you didn’t know that.

16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kget.com/amp/news/top-stories/david-has-slain-goliath-4-billion-kern-heca-project-dies/388271413

And in the future it shall always remain

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The problem is:
    • hydrogen at ~$16/gal equivalent remains 3-5x more expensive than even expensive ~$5/gal gas and ~$2/gal electric per mile (km). These are California prices.
    • BEV cars can be charged by home installed, photovoltaic arrays
    I have no problem with demonstrator programs but eventually the subsidies run out. Tesla is leading the way in the USA and funnily enough, they still have backlogs.

Bob Wilson

#56 bwilson4web, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tesla will definitely be a player for years to come, but demand will shift as more players join. That's why diversification, like Model Y, is so important.

The market is still on the early stages. In a few years, everyone's subsidies will be used up. Then, this pregame will be over and the real game begins.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. Sillywizard

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I’m not talking about “brown” or “dirty” hydrogen, that is reformed fossil fuels which is just an attempt by oil companies to continue doing what they do.
    No, I am only considering “green” hydrogen from renewable sources. Look at what Nel Hydrogen is doing. Check out Nikola Motor. There is more to the world than just personal transformation too.

20. Sillywizard

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Today that may be the price of H2, however, that price will reduce significantly as the transition progresses. We will be seeing the rate.of progress increasing during 2019 and beyond.

21. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the fool cell industry has been saying that hydrogen's expensive fuel cost will be coming down since the 1970s. Every decade their Spiel is, "in just 10 more years". So yeah, I'm sure it's true. Only - call me in 10 years because their last 10 years expired this year.