1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Aqua 2012 EV mode

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Usama Liaquat, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Usama Liaquat

Usama Liaquat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I am from Pakistan and I bought Toyota Aqua 2012 model 6 months ago. The car is in perfect condition and only 15000 Km driven. I was getting pretty good average within city around 25-28 Km/l and was very happy with car.
    I am now facing a problem and i am not able to figure out the reason. My car EV mode (Electric Engine) works like a charm in day time. But as soon as the temperature gets high (40 degree Celsius or more) the car Electric Engine stops working and only car is only powered by gasoline engine. The battery is charged to full but still the Electric Engine wont kicks in.This significantly effects the performance and mileage of my car. When temperature is not high the car works fine. What could be the probable reason for this. Please guide

2. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I'm not an expert in this kind of thing, but one of the things I'd suggest is to check the air filter beneath the back seat. There's a cooling fan for the high voltage battery under there, and if the fan is clogged then it could prevent air from flowing over the battery. It wouldn't surprise me that if the battery overheats it could shut down the electric drive.

bisco likes this.
  3. Usama Liaquat

Usama Liaquat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank You so much Sean Nelson.
    There was indeed a thick layer of dust clogging the fan air intake. Removed it and cleared the air passage. Electric Drive is now working even in hot temperature. A big improvement. Thank you once again

priusmatty and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad you are all fixed, welcome to priuschat!(y)

5. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Wow, I'm so glad that it was such an easy fix for you!

6. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I am happy that your problem was resolved so easily!

7. Faran Shabbir

Faran Shabbir New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to see your problem resolved. I also own Toyota Aqua since 2016 and I've learnt to service things myself. You can subscribe to my channel "How to studio" on youtube where I am discussing solutions to different issues in Aqua/ Prius C

bisco likes this.