1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Auris hybrid beat by diesel Auris

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by Troy Heagy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But why a diesel generator? A diesel engine is much heavier than petrol and with additional complications for emissions control.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd stick with gas, much less expensive to repair when things go wrong.

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For you, in the USA, land of the cheapest petrol in the civilised world. When it's over $8 a gallon, you have to consider compromise. :unsure:

4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First thing you have to know about diesel is that it has around 12-13% more energy per volume and CO2 emissions. Refining crude makes products like popcorn, diesel just pops a little less ;) So first thing one would consider that in making bald statement about hybrid loosing to a diesel.

Second note, the cars in the first thread apparently doesn't have the same size of tires, because you can see for your self (
    Select a search : Directgov - Car fuel data, CO2 and vehicle tax tools
    ) that hybrid get 76 UK MPG in extra urban cycle and that 83 UK MPG for the diesel are actually around the same 76 UK MPGe when you look at CO2 and energy consumed from crude.

Third thing about small 1.4 diesel engine is that it's way more efficient then petrol engine under low load, maybe even so efficient that there would be no benefit running EV mode at the Prius 8 kW threshold. Even idiling this small 1.4 diesel engine consumption is only around 0,3 l/100 km. There would be benefit in gliding with ICE off, and creeping on battery in the traffic jam, but MPG boost would be nowhere near as petrol to petrol hybrid. A diesel hybrid is sensible in larger diesel engines (2.0+, 170 HP).

5. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sure if it would be the best, but it may be. A turbo diesel works great for hwy type driving, not so good for city driving, I think a diesel running a generator would be more like hwy driving, ie fixed rpm with consistant load. I think that the frequent on off that my prius c does would be hard for a turbo diesel. I know someone who has a diesel generator in their motor home, they really like it.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Is it anti-diesel? - when someone throws out just highway MPG's of hybrid/diesels in stead of their combined MPG? .... and further skews reality via not taking into account higher fuel/maintenance/cost/btu's of diesel?
    It's not whether it works or not ... it's whether or not one is honest/disengenuous with painting the whole picture.

SageBrush and fuzzy1 like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's less volume. I want to say that Civic CNG had a 9 GGE tank and lost trunk space. The regular one had a 13 gallon tank. That's the issue with gases, the matter phase, for fuels. You need to compress them to carry a practical amount, which requires heavier tanks with shape constrains. CNG isn't as bad as gaseous hydrogen. On large vehicles, like semis, it be a viable way to reduce emissions, because they have space for the tanks, and it burns cleaner than gasoline.
    Why did Volvo go diesel for their PHV?
    The diesel engine is heavier, but the battery pack for 30+ mile EV range PHV is going to add weight. The added weight of a small displacement diesel will be a smaller percentage increase in vehicle weight than if it were added to a traditional car. It is a question of whether the increased weight overcomes the increased fuel efficiency.

Emission controls for diesels is still a relatively new technology. It is advancing in performance and cost.

In regards to renewable fuels, diesel may have a lead.

I personally thought a Wankel rotary engine as used in the A1 E-trons was the future of PHV ICE range extenders. They have a high power to weight ratio. While they may not be the most efficient, once you start getting PHVs with EV ranges near the current crop of BEVs. Smaller size for packaging becomes more important. A more efficient engine would be nice, but it does no good if you can't fit in on the car.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  8. Alesf76

Alesf76 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some pics of a CNG Gen3 Prius
    ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs
    The tanks weigth 70 kg.
    With a non-hybrid CNG car, usually you would have to refill every 300-350 km. But with an hybrid, you refill every 500-600 km, and if you run out of CNG, you still have a gasoline hybrid with good mileage, not a 35 MPG car.

Maxwell61 and KennyGS like this.
  9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many posters that talk about diesels, sayin' it works, do not own one, nor know of the problems of owning one. :confused:

Be thankful that your (our) Prius holds a gasoline engine!
    Toyota quality/reliability in Europe has been much lowered by D4D ICE issues...

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Like a train then? :)

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Because in 80% of Europe, diesel costs much less than petrol.

12. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    a very small one!:p

13. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Volvo V60 PHEV with a diesel powerplant may well be a poor engineering practice: for 30 miles carrying around a heavy engine - one of the design constraints of a plug-in-hybrid is weight.
    Imagine it loaded of cargo, fuel, chg cord, batteries and...urea...

For Guiness Book of Records, maybe, the first PHEV diesel...a good "goal"...

14. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with Diesels in my area is that regular gas is $3.19 a gallon right now compared to $3.95 for a gallon of diesel fuel. The cost per mile is the same ether way so I would rather not deal with the maintenance and repair risks of a diesel. Reverse the costs per gallon and I will trade my car in on Monday morning.

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When talking about the price difference, here in the USA, between D2 and RUG, I also figure in the price for fuel filters and additives. They went hand in hand with me when I drove diesels and it added a few cents per gallon.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it is more typical for them to combine essentially identical threads. Such as this thread and Diesel Auris beats hybrid Auris.

17. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    do you know what you are going to trade to?

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    frodoz737 said:
    The problem on PC is most are anti-diesel opinionated, whether it works or not.
    Respectfully, here is the picture I paint.

In 2006 the TDI ranked third best mpg in the US behind the Insight and Prius. In 2003 the order was Insight, TDI then Prius. During that time diesel cost approximately $0.20 less per gallon than gasoline. I speak to those two years because I own a 2006 and have three friends at work that own 2003s. The only maintenance item required during this time to these TDIs different from the Prius has been the timing belt change, common with many other "gas" powered engines.

So move forward to the present. Between oil company greed, government greed and the ULS mandate, diesel now cost $0.30 more (locally), soot cans and panther piss have been added to the difference in maintenance. Now another point of honesty, a diesel engine is built to last longer by design due to higher compression required.

Further point, a 2010 Corolla gets what 28 mpg vs 2010 Prius 50 mpg "with basically the same engine", so imagine the increase with a diesel hybrid "with basically the same engine"? I do not have all the answers, but I do see an advantage to a diesel/hybrid in mpg, durability and TCO if engineered with the same care that was given to the current Prius. Now if big government, big oil and US car manufactures would just get out of the way.....

For the record, not everyone drives a car to feel smart, green or thrifty...in fact that's an oxymoron if you think about it. As much as I like mine, the Prius is not the only solution.

Gas Mileage of 2010 Toyota Corolla
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=26425

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had thought that diesel prices historically tended to be higher than gasoline. That price inversion you remember from 2003 was a short term anomaly, not representative of long term norms.

Am I misremembering on this?

20. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the diesel has the potential to make a great hybrid. I don't think it will be similar to prius. I think that the fuel efficiancy of a diesel is not good if it only runs a couple of miniutes at a time. While I am not sure that constant on off cycle of the prius would work well with diesel. I believe that the longer cycle of something that runs off the battery for a longer time then runs the ICE for a longer time to charge.