1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Toyota autocare premium" -- whats included? is it Transferable?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by no332, Jul 18, 2014.

1. no332

no332 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

Just got a great deal on a 2012 "Prius 5" with Technology package. It's got a touch over 20k miles. I purchased the car from a dealer (not a Toyota dealer) so I haven't been able to speak with the original owner. I found a "ToyotaCare Plus" passport type of book in the glove box that had coupons from the original dealership it was purchased from. It appears to included free coupons for scheduled maintenance for 5 years/55k miles.

I wasn't sure where to turn to for information on the included maintenance, so I called my local Toyota dealership. The guy in the service department tells me it's probably the standard 25k miles/2 years. I then asked him if he could tell me whether it has had all of its scheduled maintenance. He put my VIN in the computer and confirmed all the maintenance was up to date.

He then told me the original owner had purchased "Toyota Autocare Premium" and gave me the policy number. I said, "So does that mean I can get maintenance for OVER 25k/2years?" and he grumbled something about "Yeah, you can get free maintenance till 35k, and it expires in about 9 months". I'm a very good judge of people, and it really felt like he was hiding something. Why would the passbook say 55k miles/5years? Even if it was purchased in late 2011, that would give me till late 2016.

I then logged into the Toyota owners website to try and find more information and noticed it said my service records had just been updated earlier THAT DAY! Is it possible this dealer somehow knocked off some mileage/years from the original policy or changed something?

Maybe I need to take the car to the original dealership? (200 miles away) Does the original policy owner need to transfer it to me somehow? Is there a Toyota number I can call that may honestly answer all these questions?

#1 no332, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't sweat it, you are not missing out on anything. Up to 55k miles, all they will do is change your oil and air filters.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Toyota's Website Toyota Care Plus can be purchased in extended packages in the following manner:

3 years or 35,000 miles;4 3 years or 45,000 miles4
    4 years or 45,000 miles;4 4 years or 60,000 miles4
    5 years or 55,000 miles;4 5 years or 75,000 miles4

The fact that your booklet seems to suggest that the 5 year package was purchased? Might not necessarily guarantee that was the package purchased. Since there IS a 3 year, 45,000 mile plan. It could be as simple as they only give one book for the maximum amount possible out, whether you are initially extending it to 3 years or up to 5. I think you are forced to be a little trusting here. Reducing the plan attached to your Prius would be an act of fraud. I have to think the dealership would not want to take the risk, for no real benefit to themselves. I mean? Why would they be out to get you..one customer/owner of one Prius?

Since the person you talked to was the one who told YOU that the Toyota Care Plus was purchased and gave you the policy number, I might be inclined to simply believe him.

And as pointed out, Toyota Care with the exception of roadside assistance, and a few other supposed "perks", is primarily just covering the factory recommended maintenance, which translates into mostly just tire rotatations and oil changes.

I'd enjoy it as long as you can, and get as much out of it as possible, but I wouldn't really worry that somehow you are being "screwed" out of additional coverage.

Besides...you said you got a great deal, and that was before discovering the booklet. What you have found out, is that at least routine maintenance was kept up with, and that the previous owner cared enough about maintenance to at least purchase some additional coverage.

That would make me happy....enjoy.

4. no332

no332 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies guys... I'm not sweating it. I got on here and saw lots of discussions about people buying these plans and thought I better get what was paid for. Maybe after the 35k miles is up I can take a staycation to the original dealship and see if they'll honor their coupons. Seems like the biggest advantage would be not needing to pay for AAA for a few years with the roadside assistance.

My 2001 Prius has had nearly zero problems (just hit 210k), so I can't imagine this (nearly) new one will either, but ya never know.

Is there anything I need to do to transfer the policy into my name, or is that just implied since I own the car?